Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Where does it appear on the page?

If you could provide a link to the source that would be better.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭ath262

riverina wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone help with understanding what the abbreviation of GC/GL/CL(?) on this baptism page means? Specifically looking at the baptism of Ellen Dooley. Thanks

I'd would think the priests initials, the other notations at the ends of the line look like locations.

p.s. it's s good idea to link to the register page in question, can help with context

Hermy wrote: »
    Where does it appear on the page?

If you could provide a link to the source that would be better.

504614.jpg

ath262 wrote: »
    p.s. it's s good idea to link to the register page in question, can help with context

Exactly - context is everything as someone once said. :)

Also, sometimes the source has a better quality image.

And I'd agree - it's probably the initials of the priest who carried out the ceremony.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Birr & Loughkeen baptisms, 02478 / 02 page 23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 riverina

Thanks for all your help everyone, and apologies for only posting the jpeg, it was sent to me and I was posting from my phone! Really appreciate all the interactions, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Can anyone help decipher locations in entry no. 32 here please? It's Anne O'Sullivan I'm interested in, but not sure if I have the right one. I can't make out where it says she's from, or where the marriage was (the chapel and the district). The family is from Ballinakilla near Glenbeigh/Glanbehy, and I think the district might say "Glanbehy". For her location, I think it says Scrahan - which would be way off and I've probably got the wrong one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Derreen & Scrahan?

Admittedly, you said Scrahan so that's all I can see now!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The church looks like Dungegan, Emlagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

spurious wrote: »
    The church looks like Dungegan, Emlagh.

Working backwards, I've found a birth cert for what looks like the right female - Anne Sullivan, son of Timothy (#117), in Emlagh, so this marriage cert is definitely the wrong one.

Thanks for all the help!

• Advertisement

Can anyone make out what Pauline O'Mahony (second entry) died of on this page please?

I have a burial for her, etc. Just wondering if that cousin was correct!

Genealogy Forum Mod

It's something sepsis 12 days certified but I can't figure what that something is.

EDIT: Google suggests it might be puerperal - during or relating to the period of about six weeks after childbirth during which the mother's reproductive organs return to their original non-pregnant condition.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yes, that's very likely. The family story was that she died in childbirth - of childbirth is perhaps more accurate. Poor woman.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

1932 would be late for it, but sepsis caused by severe infections caused by poor hygeine (poor hand hygeine in particularly) by midwives/doctors was horribly common decades earlier. Other causes exist obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Sepsis is still more common than you might think. It has not gone away. Over 250,000 Americans die of it every year.

If you are talking about 'childbed fever' or puerperal fever, it still exists, tho uncommon in advanced countries. A close family member got it after giving birth five years ago. She almost died and they tried four different antibiotics before one, specially flown in, worked. It was terrifying. She and the baby, now five, are fine, thanks be to God.

I am but having read an essay on it in the excellent (but grim) Grave Matters, it should have been largely done away with by 1932, I agree.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Looking for suggestions on the second godparent of Michael Mahony born to Patrick M and Mary Picket 27/7/1835 please.
    https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635017#page/47/mode/1up

He's the second entry on the right hand page.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

On record 8353 I see a Robert Brendan, is that the one? The second name could be Eliza McGl(ork? Odd, but it doesn't look like a McGeough or a McGough) anyway.

It looks like Eliza McGlosky or McGlasky to me.

Genealogy Forum Mod

New Home wrote: »
    On record 8353 I see a Robert Brendan, is that the one? The second name could be Eliza McGl(ork? Odd, but it doesn't look like a McGeough or a McGough) anyway.

Yes, this register likes to record the priest first. Clearly, who he thought was the most important person in the baptism. :rolleyes:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I think Eliza McGlosky too. Thanks.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

hi, looking for confirmation on 2 things in this census form.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003717311/

Can you confirm the occupation of the head of household. James McCaffery. Is it something Platelayer?

Also, is the city "Cumberland" for the wife and next 2 children? I presume that would be UK! If so, then I wonder was there where Bridget was from originally?

There are entries for Rose and Belinda in the UK GRO for the district of Whitehaven in Cumberland.

EDIT: Also just found the index entry for the marriage of James and Bridget in Whitehaven in 1872.
    You may already be aware but the surname is variously spelled McCaffrey and McCaffery which may trip up some search engines.

Genealogy Forum Mod

There are entries for Rose and Belinda in the UK GRO for the district of Whitehaven in Cumberland.

EDIT: Also just found the index entry for the marriage of James and Bridget in Whitehaven in 1872.
    You may already be aware but the surname is variously spelled McCaffrey and McCaffery which may trip up some search engines.

Wow! That's brilliant. Thanks a million for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Foreman Platelayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

BowWow wrote: »
    Foreman Platelayer.

Great! Thanks for that.

BTW, how did you find the marriage entry on that GRO site?

chewed wrote: »
    BTW, how did you find the marriage entry on that GRO site?

I used Ancestry for the marriage - sorry, I should have mentioned that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1878/11110/8066724.pdf

Please can you let me know the name of the 2 fathers in the 2nd last row (no. 63) for Christopher Foley and Teresa Flynn?

Advertisement