Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Can anybody make a guess at the sponsors names here (9th record on left side) on 21 July 1855 - Philip of Thos. Purcell & Catherine Neill. Maybe Mich(ael) Rourke & Kitty Kennedy??

Another one on 28 Oct 1861, (last record right side). I'm looking for names of sponsors again. Looks like William Bl (?) and maybe Ellen (?) Blackburn so first sponsor could have same surname. Although there were Blackwells living locally.
    Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'd be grateful if people would have a look at an entry on this page: http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634247#page/67/mode/1up. The record that interests me is on the RH side, just a little above the large blot, and is the first of two dated 9 March.

The father's name has been indexed in irishgenealogy.ie as Denis, but I suspect that it should be Dermot. Whichever it is, it has been Latinised by the priest. So this is not merely an eyesight test; it is also a test of ability to interpret a Kerry priest's Latinisation of two centuries ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I'd be grateful if people would have a look at an entry on this page: http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634247#page/67/mode/1up. The record that interests me is on the RH side, just a little above the large blot, and is the first of two dated 9 March.

The father's name has been indexed in irishgenealogy.ie as Denis, but I suspect that it should be Dermot. Whichever it is, it has been Latinised by the priest. So this is not merely an eyesight test; it is also a test of ability to interpret a Kerry priest's Latinisation of two centuries ago!

Could it be Daniel? though I'd say its "Den,,,," so possibly Denis, though there's an entry a few lines above for Dionysus, which would be a better match for Denis.
    Only other thing that strikes me is that if you think its Dermot/Diarmuid the English for that is Jerry and locally "Derby"? Could it be an effort at that?

lottpaul wrote: »
    Could it be Daniel? though I'd say its "Den,,,," so possibly Denis, though there's an entry a few lines above for Dionysus, which would be a better match for Denis.
    Only other thing that strikes me is that if you think its Dermot/Diarmuid the English for that is Jerry and locally "Derby"? Could it be an effort at that?
    Yes, it could be Daniel. That name was used in the area (West Kerry, specifically the Great Blasket Island). Diarmuid (Dermot or Jeremiah) was less often used.

The reason why I am considering Dermot is that if I have the right couple, they had a son who they named Diarmuid.

The challenge is compounded by the fact that the community was exclusively Irish-speaking, while the priests made their records in English and Latin.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

montgo wrote: »
    Can anybody make a guess at the sponsors names here (9th record on left side) on 21 July 1855 - Philip of Thos. Purcell & Catherine Neill. Maybe Mich(ael) Rourke & Kitty Kennedy??

Another one on 28 Oct 1861, (last record right side). I'm looking for names of sponsors again. Looks like William Bl (?) and maybe Ellen (?) Blackburn so first sponsor could have same surname. Although there were Blackwells living locally.
    Many thanks

Can't find Philip on the page you mention.
    William's name - Some say 'the moving finger writes and having writ...moves on' however, the wan who was working on microfilming the register obviously didn't know about the moving on bit... she could have shifted the finger holding down the page so that we could read William's name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭The Chieftain

Again hard to decipher it in full but it clearly states it is admitting her to the Catholic Church and obviously revisitingthe entry that he married her! See attached image below to read

Anna Maria of Richard Shanahan and Martha Peyton aged 24 years and from Mallow was today admitted into the Catholic Church by me by the permission of the PP of Mallow. I married her to a Catholic on 5 Feb.

Thanks everyone.

But that was necessary in order to make the marriage legal, was it not. Otherwise the priest could have been transported, and marriage invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Yes, it could be Daniel. That name was used in the area (West Kerry, specifically the Great Blasket Island). Diarmuid (Dermot or Jeremiah) was less often used.

The reason why I am considering Dermot is that if I have the right couple, they had a son who they named Diarmuid.

The challenge is compounded by the fact that the community was exclusively Irish-speaking, while the priests made their records in English and Latin.

Thanks.

Yes, it is definitely Danielus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

montgo wrote: »

Many thanks

The first one is Michl (Michael) Rourke and Kitty is possibly Kennedy.
    Second, William and Ellen, I can not see the surnames. If they were both Blackwell, it would have been more common to record it as William and Ellen Blackburn / Blackwell or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bingoo1

P. Breathnach - I'm reading this name as Demetrius (although a bad spelling of it)

P. Breathnach - I'm reading this name as Demetrius (although a bad spelling of it). He spells is phonetically - Demetrus.

• Advertisement

Bingoo1 wrote: »
    P. Breathnach - It could be Demetrius (spelled phonetically Demetrus)

a

P. Breathnach - It could be Demetrius (spelled phonetically Demetrus)

Could it be a mistranscription of Dermetrius? I have found a website which gives Dermicius as a latinised version of Dermont/Dermot? http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~oel/latingivennames.html#D

If the name is Demetrius the Irish Genealogy Toolkit gives Demetrius as the latinised version of Jeremiah, Jerome, Dermot, Darby
    http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/latin-irish-parish-registers.html

P. Breathnach - See Baptism - John (Joannes) baptised on 5th July 1809. Is that a brother? The father looks more like Daniel in this entry.

P. Breathnach - See Baptism - John (Joannes) baptised on 5th July 1809. Is that a brother? The father looks more like Daniel in this entry.
    It has to be a brother - both parents' names match, and there were fewer than 20 households on the island.

Case proved.

Thanks.

Montgo - Two more siblings baptised on 8/10/57 and 11/11/53

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Montgo - Two more siblings baptised on 8/10/57 and 11/11/53

Thanks, I have 5 children born to Philip & Catherine.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Can anyone decipher the word/s following the second sponsor's name on this baptismal record for Patrick, son of Thos Graham & Catherine Cunningham on 18 March 1849? Left side of image, page 94. Sponsors Michael Fox and Mary Grehan/Graham, followed by an illegible word/phrase. The same word/phrase appears after some other sponsors on the same page in the Kinnegad, Co Westmeath parish baptismal records. Thanks. Link is--

http://http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635234#page/94/mode/1up

It's the priest's initials A Mc A - Rev A McAlroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Anyone care to have a stab at this one?

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632167#page/155/mode/1up

Last entry on the page 12th Nov 1846 Martin Dunne to Thomas Dunne and ALice Delaney. Sponsors James Neale and Catherine Delaney.

But what is written above Catherines name?

...... Dunne ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

hblock21 wrote: »
    But what is written above Catherines name?

...... Dunne ???

based on an earlier entry (26th Oct Farrell) by the same priest I'd say it starts with an F.. but other than that I dont see much more at the moment..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I'd go for Joannes rather than James Neale (as it's Latin James would be Jacobus) The other looks like J ... Dunne but it could be attached to the entry above? Also not sure about that F - the crpss-stroke on Farrell is quite distinct.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I also think it's to do with the entry above. They had a full nib of ink for that entry, not so for the bottom line.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'm looking for some help with the marriage of Michael Moore and Brillianna Stanley - entry #1462 about halfway down the page.
    I'm hoping somebody might be able to make out the addresses of the parents and the bit of latin in the next box which I'm hoping might imply that it was a second marriage for Michael.
    The same image at irishgenealogy.ie is slightly out of focus unfortunately.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What a marvellous name: Brilliana!

Is the first line "mortu...nt"? I can't make it out but it appears in that column in multiple places. Would it mean they're dead? I can make out mater and pater underneath and then it looks like the same word again

Genealogy Forum Mod

I do know that the father of the bride died in 1857 so that could well be it Pinky.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    I'm looking for some help with the marriage of Michael Moore and Brillianna Stanley - entry #1462 about halfway down the page.
    I'm hoping somebody might be able to make out the addresses of the parents and the bit of latin in the next box which I'm hoping might imply that it was a second marriage for Michael.
    The same image at irishgenealogy.ie is slightly out of focus unfortunately.
    Addresses look like "Ballent***, Co. Meath" and Berkley St".

Michael's parents "mortui sunt" - they are deceased.

Brillianna's "pater mortuus" - father deceased; "mater in Manchester(?)" - would that make sense to you?

Last column "Dispensatio in Bannis et c???a fuit ab V.G. Monsignor Forde" - they were given a dispensation from the reading of the banns (and something else, probably trivial) by the Vicar General, Monsignor Forde.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Looks like Ballantrae - maybe the clerk was told Bellinter (which is in Co Meath) and wrote the Scottish name instead?

Yes the grooms address is Ballintrae, Co. Meath but I was struggling with the addresses of the parents. Manchester looks obvious now but I wouldn't have guessed it in a month of Sundays. Ditto the Latin which I was trying read as Martin Street.:o
    Last column "Dispensatio in Bannis et c???a fuit ab V.G. Monsignor Forde" - they were given a dispensation from the reading of the banns (and something else, probably trivial) by the Vicar General, Monsignor Forde.

Why would they be given a dispensation from the Banns?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Hermy wrote: »
    ... Why would they be given a dispensation from the Banns?
    It was common enough. Sometimes a couple wanted to marry at short notice; in other cases,they wanted to guard their privacy. Look up and down the page, and you will find other instances.

Advertisement