Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Season: Setanta - BT Sports or Sky Sports

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Im big into my American sports, i would watch 12 hours straight of NCAA and NFL on a Sat and Sun, used to stream the NCAA and go to the pub to watch NFL.
    I could spend 100 per sunday on drink to watch it in a overcrowded pub with people in the way.
    This year going to susbscribe to both sky for the NFL and BT for NCAA, its well worth it for me, i will be spending 102 per month on sky and BT instead of 400 in the pub for a sunday.

No sure whats worse 400quid pm month on drink or 102 for sports on tv! Who the hell is quoting you 102 per month for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Tugboats wrote: »
    No sure whats worse 400quid pm month on drink or 102 for sports on tv! Who the hell is quoting you 102 per month for it?

Full price subscription? 65 pm for Sky Sports. Another 15 for the HD and then 22 for BT/Setanta?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Reports over the weekend that La Liga rights have gone to a second round of bidding ... Nobody knows who's bidding but it's thought Sky and BT are heavily involved.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Realistically it wouldn't be anyone else, nobody else is going to build a sports channel on the back of these rights (and interest in games not involving Real Madrid or FC Barcelona is minimal).

I wonder though if BT were to get the rights whether Sunday night coverage of either the French or Italian league would be under threat, though having four channels now probably helps (though the NBA also plays on Sunday nights during its season).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

B17G wrote: »
    Full price subscription? 65 pm for Sky Sports. Another 15 for the HD and then 22 for BT/Setanta?

18euros per month for SS WITH sky for the next 6months
    than 'SS1 ONLY' package with ss5 or sky might give me a better deal aftetr 6 months

setanta pack is 225 for the year or 18euros per month or get 1-2 extra different sky customers to split the costs for 10eros per month for a year

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    Realistically it wouldn't be anyone else, nobody else is going to build a sports channel on the back of these rights (and interest in games not involving Real Madrid or FC Barcelona is minimal).

I wonder though if BT were to get the rights whether Sunday night coverage of either the French or Italian league would be under threat, though having four channels now probably helps (though the NBA also plays on Sunday nights during its season).
    Eurosport could go for pan-European rights maybe but your probably right - if BT win them you would have to say Sky Sports schedule is looking very light for probably the first time ever... I don't think they could realistically fill 5 channels.

ftakeith wrote: »
    18euros per month for SS WITH sky for the next 6months
    than 'SS1 ONLY' package with ss5 or sky might give me a better deal aftetr 6 months

setanta pack is 225 for the year or 18euros per month or get 1-2 extra different sky customers to split the costs for 10eros per month for a year

Setanta are desperate for customers. I rejected 225 and the offer of 199. I told them why would i pay that for a year when im paying 9.99 per month:confused:. They told me 9.99 pm may not last for ever and their final offer was 155 for the year. It pays to call them

EDIT: double post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

irishfeen wrote: »
    Reports over the weekend that La Liga rights have gone to a second round of bidding ... Nobody knows who's bidding but it's thought Sky and BT are heavily involved.

BT applying pressure I'd say Irishfeen.

Im big into my American sports, i would watch 12 hours straight of NCAA and NFL on a Sat and Sun, used to stream the NCAA and go to the pub to watch NFL.
    I could spend 100 per sunday on drink to watch it in a overcrowded pub with people in the way.
    This year going to susbscribe to both sky for the NFL and BT for NCAA, its well worth it for me, i will be spending 102 per month on sky and BT instead of 400 in the pub for a sunday.

Get yourself an Apple TV3 and you would save some serious money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

If theres a bidding war for La Liga rights surely that means in the future it will drive up subscriptions on Sky/Bt?

Apparently La Liga have moved the big Barca and Real games away from 3-5pm to 5.15pm (or after) to accommodate British viewers from the TV Blackout. Its safe to say UK rights must have significant pull with the LFP.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Apparently La Liga have moved the big Barca and Real games away from 3-5pm to 5.15pm (or after) to accommodate British viewers from the TV Blackout. Its safe to say UK rights must have significant pull with the LFP.

It's serious money coming out of the UK for that league, They must be loving having two monsters going at it for the next set of rights.

Must be said that the 3pm to 5.15pm football blackout on UK TV is a tad draconian now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Especially as it affects viewers in Ireland and Wales, neither of which have such a stupid rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭OldRio

lertsnim wrote: »
    Especially as it affects viewers in Ireland and Wales, neither of which have such a stupid rule.

To be fair. Association Football is not all about the 'big' clubs. The real fans in England go and see their local team ply their trade in the lower divisions of the Football League.

That fan base will be squeezed even further if its a choice between Liverpool v Man U on Sky or a trip to see your local club play when both matches kick off at 3.00pm on a Saturday.

That's nonsense these days with every game available online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭OldRio

lertsnim wrote: »
    That's nonsense these days with every game available online.

Firstly not every game is online. Secondly not everyone wants to watch games via illegal services.
    The ban of 3.00pm kick offs on a Saturday is there for good reason. Just because it does not suit some viewers in this country is of no importance to the Football Authority's in England.

OldRio wrote: »
    Firstly not every game is online. Secondly not everyone wants to watch games via illegal services.
    The ban of 3.00pm kick offs on a Saturday is there for good reason. Just because it does not suit some viewers in this country is of no importance to the Football Authority's in England.

Yes every game is online, legal or illegal doesn't matter as the option is there.

The real supporters you referenced to previously will still attend their teams matches.

Please don't start putting words into my mouth as not once did I suggest the FA in England should care about viewers in this country.

OldRio wrote: »

Think you're well off the beaten track there in what the guy was on about.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Look, this is off topic for this thread - if we want to talk about the 3pm ban (and purely from a broadcasting point of view)it really deserves its own thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Has anyone signed up for bt/setanta on the evision package?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Sky One are showing Gillette Soccer Saturday this Saturday.

Its a pity Sky arent showing the Chelsea and Swansea match free to view.

The last Two seasons they showed the First Premier League match to non Sky Sports subscribers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I am the same, I already have Sky Sports and was considering BT Sports (mainly for the Premier League) it is a lot of money on UPC to have both though :(

MUFC v WBA is not live on setanta at 3pm on Nov 7th 2015 as Europa league losers West Ham v Everton is on instead

It won't affect me as I will be at the game in person

Tugboats wrote: »
    Setanta are desperate for customers. I rejected 225 and the offer of 199. I told them why would i pay that for a year when im paying 9.99 per month:confused:. They told me 9.99 pm may not last for ever and their final offer was 155 for the year. It pays to call them

I got the same deal for €155

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

ftakeith wrote: »
    I got the same deal for €155

New or existing customer?

Joo0 wrote: »
    New or existing customer?

existing customer

Advertisement