Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody going it alone at home?

Options
  • 08-07-2015 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

I am!

Suits me to get fit at home. I have four kids and no way could I get time to go to the gym or a class, too many obsticles like babysitters, school runs, housework blah blah blah!

Sometimes I feel a teeny bit lost - as in there is no trainer to ask a question to or no plan, like now - I reached my goal weight after months of hard work and I was floundering around for about a week thinking what's my next goal, what am I doing next! In saying that everyone is on their own really getting fit, everybody has to motivate themselves.

I am fairly well self motivated overall though, I will push myself - except for push ups - I just can't get past one.

So my next goal is to fight the flab - I've fought the fat and won and no doubt will win this too. I have just finished chalean extreme and am restarting that

Would love to hear from other home aloners - what your doing, what motivates you, what obsticles you face , that kind of thing...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭MattD1349

YouTube is your friend. Also some resistance bands & a skipping rope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭meijin

Deer wrote: »
    I am fairly well self motivated overall though, I will push myself - except for push ups - I just can't get past one.

I can highly recommend Convict Conditioning. Please see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056185716 for more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

YouTube is great! That's how I got started - with Tabata intervals and built it up from there. I use dumbells, need to buy new discs and push some more and buying the next step up band - I use it wrapped around my legs for particular movements in cardio.

Thanks for the link meijin on convict training. I just watched a bit of it on you tube re the push ups. Going to give this a crack tomorrow. Even though I can do kneeling pushups I will start from scratch. Watching that made me quite optimistic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I work out at home, I dedicated a small corner of my basement for working out. Bike, rack, bench, oly bar and weights, don't need anything else. Was fed up of going to the gym and having to wait on people to access machines, people not cleaning up after themselves (sweat on benches, weights left lying around, etc), being way too busy especially at the start of the year, people wanting to chat, gym closing when I finally had time to get there, etc

At home, I have no excuses, can go when I want, no waiting around and no distractions. Much better for me and easier to stay motivated.

There are some great fitness apps out there, build a plan, set it up in the app and enter your progress as you go along. Best thing is you can monitor your progress over time, there is no better motivator than just looking at graphs with a line moving up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

OP
    What height/weight/sex are you?
    What does your current workout look like?

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    OP
    What height/weight/sex are you?
    What does your current workout look like?

I am female 5ft 7 and 10stone (yippee!!)

This http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/chalean_extreme.do is what I have been doing and have restarted again. Im very visual - I like to see what I am doing.

When I started at home back in August I was 13.5 st and never exercised, just dieting. Now with the two combined I am a new person

jester77 wrote: »

At home, I have no excuses, can go when I want, no waiting around and no distractions. Much better for me and easier to stay motivated.

There are some great fitness apps out there, build a plan, set it up in the app and enter your progress as you go along. Best thing is you can monitor your progress over time, there is no better motivator than just looking at graphs with a line moving up :)

I find that too about home - no excuses - if the kids are howling when I want to do my thing I can wait and do it later, my own rule is stay in my workout gear until workout is done if at all possible.

I'm using mfp - what one are you using if different?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I find that too about home - no excuses - if the kids are howling when I want to do my thing I can wait and do it later, my own rule is stay in my workout gear until workout is done if at all possible.

I'm using mfp - what one are you using if different?

Know what you mean :) I've been working out at 11pm some evenings.

I use mfp very loosely, just for tracking some meals here and there.
    For workout I am using Stronglifts at the moment to build up some strength, this is the android link. This app is really just for this program, but it is customisable and very well developed.

Another good app is Progression. You can actually use the Stronglifts program with this app, but I was already using the other app before I discovered this one. I'll start using this once I change programs.

I must take a look. I'm supposed to log on sheets with what I am doing but an app is handier

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭MattD1349

I can also 100% recommend convict conditioning/calisthenics. The publisher of the books (Dragon Door) is quite expensive but you might be able to get a 2nd hand copy on ebay or download it on Kindle.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

this is a free alternative to convict conditioning

ah here boards, let me post ****ing links already

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭omega man

Im in the same boat with a couple of kids etc. I do miss getting away from it all and heading to the gym though.

I just stick to weights alone and invested in an Olympic barbell and a load of bumper plates. I work out in the back garden so my biggest obstacle is the lovely Irish climate! Summer is great but the winter really tests my resolve.

The benefit is no waiting around for equipment and of course cost too. The downside is your still at home and the oh or kids will often disturb you now and then but overall it really suits me.

I have used gyms before so did pick up some good habits and I also invested in some reputable books to supplement my training.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭vigos

strelok wrote: »
    reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

this is a free alternative to convict conditioning

ah here boards, let me post ****ing links already

Great link, takes a bit of reading but everything is nicely explained with videos and lots of progressions depending on your ability, might give that a go myself

Do your kids swing off of you while your working out too omega man?! Have had occassions - especially if doing abs or planks where the baby decides it's a great idea to jump on top of me for the craic. Or if I'm doing something with the dumbells, usually something difficult he will decide to hand off of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Stopped training in the gym mid April,since then i have been training at home doing the following.

Dips between wheelie bins
    Pushups
    neutral grip and underhand pull ups
    shoulder press with a heavy section of pipe

Lost a few lbs as it seems the appetite for grub decreased as the intensity of my training being less.

I do miss the gym,will join somewhere new in the next few weeks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

you might find this handy https://i.imgur.com/4LeMVAW.jpg

I've decided to give p90x a crack next week. Could be great, might not work for me at all but no harm in trying :)

Still at the working on my push ups !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭omega man

Do your kids swing off of you while your working out too omega man?! Have had occassions - especially if doing abs or planks where the baby decides it's a great idea to jump on top of me for the craic. Or if I'm doing something with the dumbells, usually something difficult he will decide to hand off of it!

At first the older ones wanted to try lift the weights so had to watch them like a hawk.

My 7 year old son often lifts his very light Dumbells with me while I'm working out. He's more interested in using up my chalk mind you!

The novelty has kind of worn off for them by now so I'm rarely disturbed. So for now it's really working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Yep.

I can get a mighty workout out of a chin-up bar, resistance band, 16kg kettlebell and my own bodyweight. Plus I can blare the music as loud as I want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Good old kettlebell for goblet squats, push press, swings. Press ups, air squats, lunges, jump lunges, planks, a chair for dips. Really all you need.

• Advertisement

I must say that convict training is great - as in I've only tried the push ups. I've progressed to nearly a half push up - 10 of them and two or three weeks ago I could not even get that far. It really made sense as far as form goes - you know positioning of the arms, the palms etc. I really feel I am making progress. Two weeks ago doing what I am doing now made my arms quiver - now it's making my core shake - in a good way !

Advertisement