Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kayla Itsines

Options
  • 07-07-2015 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

I had a quick search and couldn't find any mention of her programs so...

Anyone currently doing it? Is it worth the price? I would love some feedback. Everyone on Instagram seems to have a six pack six weeks in so it almost seems too good to be true!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Windorah wrote: »

Anyone currently doing it? Is it worth the price? I would love some feedback. Everyone on Instagram seems to have a six pack six weeks in so it almost seems too good to be true!

If it seems too good to be true.............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

There are literally thousands of people doing her program every day. Maybe 10s of thousands.

You only see the ones being promoted that have seen MAJOR change. They're not indicative of "typical" results.

BUT she's got a great following and does have people training.

My girlfriend's sister is in a gym now because of her.

Keep in mind I own 2 gyms, and my girlfriend has competed in irish and european powerlifting competitions, but it was KAYLA that got the sister across the line.

...which is pretty awesome.

Better she be training than now.

What it is, like €97 or something for 6 weeks?

If you pay that moeny you're more likely to show up and folow the plan, so from that persepctive, it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,133 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

While exercising is unquestionably better than not Hanley, I think that little story says something about the general female attitude to strength training and preferred body image.

Strong is maybe not the new skinny quite yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I bought her training plans on ebay in pdf form. Haven't got around to starting them yet. I do follow her on facebook and get emails. Just need to find the actual time to get a start on it.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    While exercising is unquestionably better than not Hanley, I think that little story says something about the general female attitude to strength training and preferred body image.

Strong is maybe not the new skinny quite yet!

Yeah, and?

Kayla's stuff is a perfect gateway drug into strength training.

Believe me, despite the progress that has been made, we are still a long time away from full scale acceptance that strength training isn't evil :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭helliwen

Everyone on Instagram seems to have a six pack six weeks in so it almost seems too good to be true!

Not trying to attack you personally OP but this type of "fitness trend" drives me mad. I don't know how the general public defines the effectiveness of a program but having a six pack doesn't necessarily imply health or fitness, especially for women. According to this, women need to have a body fat below 17% to have really visible abs. But women need body fat for reproductive health. From Body fat, menarche, fitness and fertility
    "Other evidence from non-athletic and athletic women and mammals is presented in support of the hypothesis that a particular, minimum ratio of fat to lean mass is normally necessary for menarche (approximately 17% fat/body wt) and the maintenance of female reproductive ability (approximately 22% fat/body wt)."
    Menarche=menstruation, i.e. at least 17% body fat is necessary for proper hormone balance (which influences more than just the ability to pop out babies) and at least 22% for fertility. Yes, everyone is different - some might see abs with more body fat, some might still menstruate with less. But for the vast majority, visible abs is not necessarily a healthy goal.

Sure, anything that gets women strength training is good, but the goals/motivation should be healthy and realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,133 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hanley wrote: »
    Yeah, and?

Kayla's stuff is a perfect gateway drug into strength training.

Believe me, despite the progress that has been made, we are still a long time away from full scale acceptance that strength training isn't evil :)

Yeah, and...it's just an observation! So I think we agree as far as the last paragraph is concerned.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah, and...it's just an observation! So I think we agree as far as the last paragraph is concerned.

58051864.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

58051864.jpg

I honesty have no idea what that means.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Brian? wrote: »
    I honesty have no idea what that means.

airplane-movie-03.jpg

• Advertisement

I fear my very wise post got lost there between the memes :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

So thanks for input (and random memes!). I run regularly (5 times a week) and also swim and cycle. I had researched the benefits of weight training for marathon running and triathlons and started weights at my gym twice a week. I actually quite enjoy lifting weights but I just don't have the time to do it all so I was looking for a program I could do at home and came across Kayla Itsines...

So if the Kayla Itsines program is too faddy or trendy any other ideas?! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

I really like the Kayla programmes. Don't really have time for the gym, so it's great to be able to do something at home. I used to do Jillian Michaels' workouts, but actually find Kayla's to be more effective. Obviously you won't get results like those posted on social media unless your diet is also spot on, but that goes for any programme.

helliwen wrote: »
    I fear my very wise post got lost there between the memes :-)

The study in your wise post could be interpreted a number of different ways depending how the study was conducted, and upon whom.

For example it mentions ballet dancers and excess dieting.

In order to build muscle and have an athletic appearance you need calorie control, not just restriction. So it's a more delicate balance than just not eating and dieting a **** ton.

Plus getting to 17% is entirely different to maintaining it. The kcal control and output necessary to get there may be "damaging" but reverse dieting up kcals and dropping activity levels closer to "normal".

One study is really relatively meaningless.

..and she didn't actually say she was dieting for a six pack anyway, or that health was a priority.

The study in your wise post could be interpreted a number of different ways depending how the study was conducted, and upon whom.

For example it mentions ballet dancers and excess dieting.

In order to build muscle and have an athletic appearance you need calorie control, not just restriction. So it's a more delicate balance than just not eating and dieting a **** ton.

Plus getting to 17% is entirely different to maintaining it. The kcal control and output necessary to get there may be "damaging" but reverse dieting up kcals and dropping activity levels closer to "normal".

One study is really relatively meaningless.

..and she didn't actually say she was dieting for a six pack anyway, or that health was a priority.

No, but she mentioned six packs in reference to how good the program is, hence my comment. And we know that the OPs aren't the only people who read threads here and take information from them.
    There are lots of different issues at play but female reproductive hormones are affected by a number of things, leptin and fat stores being one, negative energy balance being another. There are loads of studies done on this - I just quoted one review. It's something I personally struggle with so I've read up a lot on it!

It's an issue that I just think more women need to be aware of - leanness can come at a cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I started on this programme this week. I did the arms and abs circuits this evening. I found that after different types of sit ups, I was very light headed from the up and down motions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I have completed BBG 1.0 and im 4 weeks into the second one. I like the short workouts but i felt i needed more cardio in my routine. I swap many of the moves for others that have similar effects - i dont do jump lunges or any sit ups. Sit ups are not good for the spine and the jump lunges are a sprained ankle waiting to happen - as the guide requires so many of them you will lose technique as you go. I find the arms workouts ineffective. I like the legs and full body ones. The abs ones are good too but i find i can fly through them.

Advertisement