Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World War Z 2

Options
  • 05-07-2015 3:30pm

The sequel has been given a release date of June 9th 2017, which will put it head-to-head with the sequel to the upcoming Fantastic Four remake.

I'm very excited about this - I thoroughly enjoyed the first movie. Hopefully the sequel won't face the exact same production nightmare that it had previously encountered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I thought the first movie was terrible, so many flaws and holes and a boring final act. Some good scenes but overall a very poor movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,897 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The first one is my default answer in "Biggest Disappointment" threads, absolute mess of a film. Great book though, wish this thread was in Fantasy and Sci-fi announcing a sequel to that not Films.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭briany

2 years is a long time and it's entirely possible that the whole zombie thing will be yesterday's news by that point. It's already outstayed its welcome right now, IMO. Only one or two good skits on the whole subject would need to go viral to shift public opinion against such a film and make it financially perilous to produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

The sequel has been given a release date of June 9th 2017, which will put it head-to-head with the sequel to the upcoming Fantastic Four remake.

I'm very excited about this - I thoroughly enjoyed the first movie. Hopefully the sequel won't face the exact same production nightmare that it had previously encountered.

I doubt that movie will get a sequel.

SuprSi wrote: »
    I thought the first movie was terrible, so many flaws and holes and a boring final act. Some good scenes but overall a very poor movie.

In fairness, they had shot a completely different final act (in Russia, with huge battles) and replaced it in the last few months for the low-key ending in Scotland. You should read the Vanity Fair feature on it from 2013, fascinating stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i went into the first one with very low expectations and really enjoyed it . fast zombies swarming, whats not to like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

It should be like Babel, different experiences of the zombie apocalypse from people around the world.

R/18 rated too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I thought the book was boring. It was the equivalent of watching a dry documentary on a zombie apocalypse. The film was a lot of fun though.

In fairness, they had shot a completely different final act (in Russia, with huge battles) and replaced it in the last few months for the low-key ending in Scotland. You should read the Vanity Fair feature on it from 2013, fascinating stuff.

Yea, the sheer amount of production nightmares, ranging from tonnes of rewrites to their set being completely flooded, to numerous other issues, I believe. You just know that that Pepsi scene in the final act paid for the entire segment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,974 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If it was called anything else other than 'World War Z' I'd probably have a more favourable view on the first film, but the original source material was just so much better - and infinitely more intriguing - that I can't help but look at film and think of what could have been.

I hope the sequel gets canned because it opens up the slim possibility of a cable channel muscling in and offering to make a better, more faithful adaptation. It would cost an absolute fortune to recreate all the many, many global anecdotes, but it couldn't be claimed there wouldn't be seasons of material to work off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

This is sad news. The only things that the movie and the book had in common were the name and zombies (and even then, the movies went with fast zombies whereas the book had more traditional ones).

The longer the title stays with the production company responsible for the first botched job, the less chance there is for a proper HBO / Showtime / Netflix adaptation of the actual story of World War Z. I wonder if Pitt's production company could be persuaded to release the story if a TV company wanted to release it under a different name? It's fairly clear they have no interest in using it!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Just rewatched this last night. Feel like its ending deters any potential sequel...no? Humanity fighting back? It'd need to be the same thing again from another pair of eyes really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭DrFloppy

Just rewatched this last night. Feel like its ending deters any potential sequel...no? Humanity fighting back? It'd need to be the same thing again from another pair of eyes really

I must say, WWZ is a guilty pleasure of mine. Have watched it a few times now and it's fun, stupid blockbuster box office fodder.

Having said that, I was initially really disappointed at how unfaithful it was to the book. Which I loved. As has already been said, WWZ deserves a (very well funded) TV series where the book's stories can be explored in more detail.

No Battle of Yonkers in the movie? Pffffft

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I haven't read the book, I enjoyed the first half if the film but it made the mistake of trying to tie everything up in a neat little bundle in the 2nd half.

I'd watch a sequel on Netflix, but that's about it really.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

pixelburp wrote: »
    If it was called anything else other than 'World War Z' I'd probably have a more favourable view on the first film, but the original source material was just so much better - and infinitely more intriguing - that I can't help but look at film and think of what could have been.

I hope the sequel gets canned because it opens up the slim possibility of a cable channel muscling in and offering to make a better, more faithful adaptation. It would cost an absolute fortune to recreate all the many, many global anecdotes, but it couldn't be claimed there wouldn't be seasons of material to work off.

I honestly think they paid for the book rights in order to get the name. 'World War Z' is a fantastic name for a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭crushproof

Sleepy wrote: »
    This is sad news. The only things that the movie and the book had in common were the name and zombies (and even then, the movies went with fast zombies whereas the book had more traditional ones).

The longer the title stays with the production company responsible for the first botched job, the less chance there is for a proper HBO / Showtime / Netflix adaptation of the actual story of World War Z. I wonder if Pitt's production company could be persuaded to release the story if a TV company wanted to release it under a different name? It's fairly clear they have no interest in using it!

Exactly, the book is fit for a brilliant TV series. The movie is tripe, and a zombie movie should be rated 18, none of this PG-13 crap.
    Alas by the time the chance to make a TV show comes along zombies will be totally uncoooool man.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Brian? wrote: »
    I haven't read the book, I enjoyed the first half if the film but it made the mistake of trying to tie everything up in a neat little bundle in the 2nd half.

I'd watch a sequel on Netflix, but that's about it really.

You should give the book a look, it's not very long and is a very gripping read. Hardly anything in it made it into the movie apart from a few token similarities in a couple of the set pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

SuprSi wrote: »

The first film was simply a name rape. It took Brook's brilliant book and absolutely violated it in quite possibly the worse way it could.

A PG-13 zombie film into the bargain... :pac: Jesus H Christ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I see this has been pulled by Warners today (along with a rebot of Friday the 13th). Was meant to be out this year. Now saying 2018/2019.

Wonder why the pulled it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

godtabh wrote: »
    I see this has been pulled by Warners today (along with a rebot of Friday the 13th). Was meant to be out this year. Now saying 2018/2019.

Wonder why the pulled it?

No director, no script, no cast, haven’t started shooting yet. Even 2019 is optimistic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,974 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Glad to hear it's being shelved. Perhaps now the rights will lapse, or will find their way into the hands who might do the book justice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

No director, no script, no cast, haven’t started shooting yet. Even 2019 is optimistic.

Didnt realize that. Wasnt a fan but I thought that Pitt was involved in it again and this would be out later in the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Oh look another remake plus another sequel to a tired story theme. No doubt cinema prices will be high again also.

What happened to the original Hollywood?

*sigh*

Got excited that maybe there was a new trailer or something. Find out it is scrapped.

Maybe Netflix might buy the rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,897 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Id say they're starting to realise peak zombie has arrived, people are getting a bit sick of the genre now.

/\

Or perhaps the backlash from fans was noted and they realised that they may have gotten away with their rubbish film the first time, but a second go would be out of the question.

For fans of Brooks' book, the film version of 'World War Z' was one of the biggest cinematic WTF's ever.

The book is great. The film is utter muck and totally indicative of hollywood's approach. Take a popular name of something and completely ignore what made it great in the first place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Tony EH wrote: »
    /\

Or perhaps the backlash from fans was noted and they realised that they may have gotten away with their rubbish film the first time, but a second go would be out of the question.

For fans of Brooks' book, the film version of 'World War Z' was one of the biggest cinematic WTF's ever.

The book is great. The film is utter muck and totally indicative of hollywood's approach. Take a popular name of something and completely ignore what made it great in the first place.

Honestly, I doubt the "backlash" from fans had anything to do with it - it made $540,007,876 internationally (with $202,359,711 being Domestic) on a $190 million, which made it a success commercially -- as far as I can tell. So how fans seemed didn't seem to have much of an effect.

Note: I love the book so much that I went to a talk given by Max Brooks and got my copy signed by him and even listened to the audiobook versions of both that and Lost Files.

I loved WWZ - the first 1/3 of the movie is utterly fantastic, especially the opening scene in Philadelphia with the initial outbreak. It gets let down by a weaker ending, but that is more down to the utter nightmare of a production that happened to it.. there was a visible tonal shift from the sprawling global outbreak and setpieces to being based in an office in Wales.

Had it not suffered the issues it did, then it would probably have been a totally different movie.

Really Boney?

God, I thought it was one of the dumbest big budget films I'd seen.

It's not totally without spectacle or tension. But, on the whole I felt it was a terrible film.

The beginning breakdown was alright, even if a bit silly (nobody could hear that truck racing down the street before it wiped out the bike cop? Really?) and the ending was a flat as a pancake. It's interspersed with some good set-pieces, like Israel. But it just wasn't enough.

I don't even think it's because I like Brooks' book so much. I simply thought the film wasn't very good. Plus, PG13 zombie film? That just didn't make sense to me at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

If I recall correctly the book wasn't a single narrative. It was a series of recollections of different characters experiences of the big zombie war. In that format, it's only filmable as an anthology piece. Having a single hero visit all the different battlezones was the only way to make it more hollywoody. They selected a group of zombie adventures to put the hero through which could have fitted into the book, but weren't the same stories that did appear in print. The movie was okay. Revisiting it I found diminished the impact. The books tone was up and down as well, I don't remember it building up to a big finale. They could throw out a sequel of another group of zombie adventures, I suppose. The money the first one made would seem to indicate they will give it a go.

Advertisement