Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rally For Life!!!

Options
  • 04-07-2015 8:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭

Anyone else at the Rally For Life today? There was an estimated 30,000 at it, but of course RTE said there was 8000. Typical. So, did anyone else go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,356 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

RTE and the Gardai and Google Maps count in a godless fashion, people of faith know that if two loaves and five fishes can feed a multitude, then it is certain that 50,000 defenders of life can occupy a space where only 15,000 can fit shoulder to shoulder.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

RTE and the Gardai and Google Maps count in a godless fashion, people of faith know that if two loaves and five fishes can feed a multitude, then it is certain that 50,000 defenders of life can occupy a space where only 15,000 can fit shoulder to shoulder.

<snip> are you on about? The Gardai estimated 30,000. RTE reported it as 8000. Anyway, were you at it? Or were you on O'Connell St.?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

newmug wrote: »
    WTF are you on about? The Gardai estimated 30,000. RTE reported it as 8000. Anyway, were you at it? Or were you on O'Connell St.?

link?

• Moderators Posts: 51,738 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

<snip> are you on about? The Gardai estimated 30,000. RTE reported it as 8000. Anyway, were you at it? Or were you on O'Connell St.?

No, RTE stated:
    Gardaí estimated the crowd for today's rally at between 5,000 and 8,000, while organisers said the figure was between 25,000 and 30,000.

Source

Do you have a link to a Garda release that states an estimate of 30,000 attendance?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Why do people here feel the need to be so abusive and snarky. The worst part you are not even accurate. RTE didn't count attendance as you claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I wasn't at it. I can be counted out.

• Moderators Posts: 51,738 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

MOD NOTE

Please remember this is the Christianity forum, so kindly rein in the mocking/goading of Christians.

Thanks for your attention.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Only in Ireland could you have a bunch of individuals marching to keep something that is illegal, illegal. I was in the vicinity of the March as I have been for the past few years, yesterday was definitely a lot less of an event compared to previous years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I was there on a prior occasion. Very good turnout then as well acting as an act of affirmation and community building on this subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

I should have went, I'm pro-life (otherwise I'd be dead), I'm also pro abortion though, I think telling a woman she can't have an abortion and even worse criminalizing it is <snip> barbaric!

Queue, complaints, warnings and possible bans for expressing a genuine contrary opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

I should have went, I'm pro-life (otherwise I'd be dead), I'm also pro abortion though, I think telling a woman she can't have an abortion and even worse criminalizing it is <snip> barbaric!
    Queue, complaints, warnings and possible bans for expressing a genuine contrary opinion.
    354313.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I don't think it's rte who estimate the figures. I think that's the guards job who report it to rte.

It's done by taking an area for example oconnell st and looking from air how tightly packed the people are and then how long it takes for the whole parade to get from point a to b through oconnell st. I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

amdublin wrote: »
    I don't think it's rte who estimate the figures. I think that's the guards job who report it to rte.

It's done by taking an area for example oconnell st and looking from air how tightly packed the people are and then how long it takes for the whole parade to get from point a to b through oconnell st. I think.

Correct. But the Guards always say one figure, and RTE always reports about a third of it. And if its a rally for something the govt wants, RTE will double the official attendance figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Correct. But the Guards always say one figure, and RTE always reports about a third of it. And if its a rally for something the govt wants, RTE will double the official attendance figures.
    How can you spout such nonsense? Have you phoned the Garda Press Office yourself to confirm their estimates before making these wild allegations?

Here's what the Irish Times reported.
    There were wildly varying estimates of the numbers in attendance at the anti-abortion rally, with senior gardaí saying a crowd of around 8,000 descended on Molesworth Street for the final meeting point whereas organisers indicated that the audience size was closer to 30,000.
    Here's what the Irish Independent reported.
    Gardaí estimated the crowd for today's rally at about 5,000 to 8,000. However, organisers insisted that the turnout was significantly higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The march streched from Parnell Square to the Spire on the southbound lane of O'Connell Street right? So that is 300m x 7m = 2100 sq m. Lets assume that the average person occupies an area of half a square meter when marching. Simple maths would tell you that you'd have had a maximum of 4,500 at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

The Garda estimate is the official figure. Anything else is speculative nonsense, higher or lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Organiser of every march every held in Dublin have vastly different figures than official estimates. I am more inclined to believe official figures. Fluffing figures to exaggerate the success of a campaign is horrible common in Ireland. Maybe the same applies in other countries too, but it certainly applies here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Do you have a link to what the Gardai estimated for this one?

Rte quoted what the gardai said.

Do you have a link to show something else?

At the moment you sound like you have a theory but with nothing to support it. You need some evidence to show that what you are saying is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

How quaint. Point of post has been shown to be woefully basesless, and OP has yet to rectify this, and/or acknowledge the mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Do you have anything that shows the gardai saying there was 24,000 people there?

Either there is a conspiracy between RTE and the gardai or YD has made up a larger number. YD also have a history of poor numerical skills (unless the laws of physics dont apply to them)

http://www.thelifeinstitute.net/latest-news/people-with-disabilities-take-centre-stage-at-major-pro-life-rally-30000-crowd-exceeds-all-expectations/
    The life institute claims gardai said 25-30k were there but also claim that amnesty want it to be legal to have abortions in the case of down syndrome which Amnesty denied.

Someone is telling lies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭am946745

eviltwin wrote: »
    Only in Ireland could you have a bunch of individuals marching to keep something that is illegal, illegal. I was in the vicinity of the March as I have been for the past few years, yesterday was definitely a lot less of an event compared to previous years.

NOT ONLY in Ireland. go to the US and you will see what a march of life looks like. They have millions of people who march against abortion.

P_1 wrote: »
    The march streched from Parnell Square to the Spire on the southbound lane of O'Connell Street right? So that is 300m x 7m = 2100 sq m. Lets assume that the average person occupies an area of half a square meter when marching. Simple maths would tell you that you'd have had a maximum of 4,500 at it.

4500... right.

Screen_Shot_2013-06-10_at_3.45.07_PM.png

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153059793119150.1073741835.337495229149&type=3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Made the mistake of going on YD's facebook page there. Could somebody please explain to me how protesting Ireland's restrictive abortion laws after they're implicated in cases like Savita, Miss Y, or that poor brain dead woman is lowest of the low, barrel scraping, manipulative tactics, but plastering pictures of disabled children all over facebook in the name of restricting all abortions ever is classy and legitimate?

Made the mistake of going on YD's facebook page there. Could somebody please explain to me how protesting Ireland's restrictive abortion laws after they're implicated in cases like Savita, Miss Y, or that poor brain dead woman is lowest of the low, barrel scraping, manipulative tactics, but plastering pictures of disabled children all over facebook in the name of restricting all abortions ever is classy and legitimate?

Our laws did not cause Sarvitas death. Medical incompetence did.
    We uphold that there is a fundamental difference between abortion, and necessary medical treatments that are carried out to save the life of the mother, even if such treatment results in the loss of life of her unborn child.

We already have laws in place to save a mothers life, we don't need abortion on demand.

am946745 wrote: »
    Our laws did not cause Sarvitas death. Medical incompetence did.

We already have laws in place to save a mothers life, we don't need abortion on demand.

And what about the other cases? What about Miss Y and the woman on life support? It's not ok to protest about what the abortion laws in Ireland put those women and their families through, it's not ok to highlight the horrendous situation women with FFA pregnancies are in, it's callous, exploitative and emotional manipulation of the most despicable order according to the pro-life movement. But by all means, use your disabled child as an accessory to wheel out on stage as part of a campaign to maintain those situations, which are WHOLLY unrelated to your child's condition. That's not emotionally manipulative at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

About YD do those that are strongly pro-life but not members consider them a useful ally or is their effect mostly negative to your cause (I'd believe they are and would say the same about aggressive prochoicers)

And what about the other cases? What about Miss Y and the woman on life support? It's not ok to protest about what the abortion laws in Ireland put those women and their families through, it's not ok to highlight the horrendous situation women with FFA pregnancies are in, it's callous, exploitative and emotional manipulation of the most despicable order according to the pro-life movement. But by all means, use your disabled child as an accessory to wheel out on stage as part of a campaign to maintain those situations, which are WHOLLY unrelated to your child's condition. That's not emotionally manipulative at all?

In the Y case the baby is alive.. So you want us to apologise for life?? And so is the mother. What was the state supposed to do. Hand down a death sentence on a baby?

am946745 wrote: »
    In the Y case the baby is alive.. So you want us to apologise for life?? And so is the mother. What was the state supposed to do. Hand down a death sentence on a baby?

You're not answering my question at all, I don't know what your posts are a response to but it's not my posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

The thing is one of the parties in government (Labour)who will be drafting the legislation does believe that removing the constitutional barriers will aid creating a more liberal regime , so its cheap and not directly related to the proposed referendum but does have a certain logic (I wouldn't say this if Labour weren't in power but their own members have said this in private)

• Advertisement

The thing is one of the parties in government (Labour)who will be drafting the legislation does believe that removing the constitutional barriers will aid creating a more liberal regime , so its cheap and not directly related to the proposed referendum but does have a certain logic (I wouldn't say this if Labour weren't in power but their own members have said this in private)

It has a certain logic for sure, what's really getting me is the blatant hypocrisy given their reaction whenever reference to cases directly related to abortion law in Ireland are made in the course of criticising abortion law in Ireland.

Advertisement