Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Happened Cranberry Juice?

Options
  • 03-07-2015 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

Odd question, I know, but I've been trying to find cranberry juice in Dublin for days now and no one has it. They all have Cranberry Juice Drink, which is usually 12-25% cranberry juice and the rest is sugar water.

Did I miss something, did the cranberry crop get wiped out this year or something? I have tried:
    - Dunnes
    - Lidl
    - Aldi
    - Spar
    - Centra
    - Supervalu
    in Dublin and not one of them have any real cranberry juice.

Am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have never seen pure 100% cranberry juice.
    It would be too tart for most people to drink without being sweetened.
    You can buy bags of cranberrys fresh in the autumn and winter and I guess you could buy frozen ones and make it yourself if you think you can drink 100% cranberry juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Cosmopolitan calls for cranberry juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What brand of cranberry juice did you used to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

No idea, maybe I was buying juice drink and didn't notice, but I remember cranberry being a hell of a lot more tart than any of this juice drink stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ocean spray I get here in UK is fairly tart, kinda, it's 25% roughly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You wouldn't want to consume unsweetened cranberry juice

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭apieceofcake

They used to sell 'Ocean Spray' Cranberry Juice here too, but come to think of it, I haven't seen it in ages.

Not much help to you. Hope you find some!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think there was a change in legislation in the last few years about drinks that only contain below a certain percentage of fruit juice. They must now be labelled as "juice drink" rather than the misleading "fruit juice". However, I have no idea if that applies in Ireland or if it was for another country. But it might explain the discrepancy. It's still the same drink, but now they can't claim to be pure fruit juice. You may have just noticed the changed wording.

I found a rough source on Wikipedia:
    In the United Kingdom the name or names of the fruit followed by juice can only legally be used to describe a product which is 100% fruit juice, as required by the Fruit Juices and Fruit Nectars (England) Regulations[7] and the Fruit Juices & Fruit Nectars (Scotland) Regulations 2003.[8] However, a juice made by reconstituting concentrate can be called juice. A product described as fruit "nectar" must contain at least 25% to 50% juice, depending on the fruit. A juice or nectar including concentrate must state that it does. The term "juice drink" is not defined in the Regulations and can be used to describe any drink which includes juice, however little.[9] Comparable rules apply in all EU member states in their respective languages.

In the US fruit juice can only legally be used to describe a product which is 100% fruit juice. A blend of fruit juice(s) with other ingredients, such as high-fructose corn syrup, is called a juice cocktail or juice drink.[10] According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the term "nectar" is generally accepted in the US and in international trade for a diluted juice to denote a beverage that contains fruit juice or puree, water, and which may contain artificial sweeteners.[11]

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Zillah wrote: »
    No idea,
    If you don't know the brand do you remember the price? it should have costed a lot more than other fruit juices.

I think I have only seen it in health shops, or maybe in ingredients aisles or something, always was very pricey.

H&B have it concentrated stuff with no additives and have a sale on.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=700&prodid=743

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cosmopolitan calls for cranberry juice.

And is only made with the part juice / sugar water in any bar going. It's more for the colour than anything else anyway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

They used to sell 'Ocean Spray' Cranberry Juice here too, but come to think of it, I haven't seen it in ages.

Not much help to you. Hope you find some!

They still do :)

OP the highest % content I seen about a year ago was actually one of the tesco ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Odd question, I know, but I've been trying to find cranberry juice in Dublin for days now and no one has it. They all have Cranberry Juice Drink, which is usually 12-25% cranberry juice and the rest is sugar water.

Did I miss something, did the cranberry crop get wiped out this year or something? I have tried:
    - Dunnes
    - Lidl
    - Aldi
    - Spar
    - Centra
    - Supervalu

Am I missing something?

Most bigger health food shops do it. It's fairly expensive and very tart.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DarkoT

Or you can blend the cranberry with some organic honey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Joolzie

- Dunnes
    - Lidl
    - Aldi
    - Spar
    - Centra
    - Supervalu

Am I missing something?

You've been looking in the wrong places. You can buy it at the health shop, I think it's Biona brand. About €13 a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

If it's only for cosmos then any of the ones in Aldi/Tesco etc are fine. The 100% cranberry juice is very expensive and very tart. It wouldn't suit a cosmo at all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

vicwatson wrote: »

You'll blow your head off if you try use that in a cosmo. That's something indented for "health" purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I drink the juice press one sometimes the other one ocean spray but a carton of it leaked one time and didn't buy it again since. Sugar content in the juices be the only thing but i'd imagine the pure one wouldn't be too sweet?

doovdela wrote: »
    I drink the juice press one sometimes the other one ocean spray but a carton of it leaked one time and didn't buy it again since. Sugar content in the juices be the only thing but i'd imagine the pure one wouldn't be too sweet?

The 100% juice products are undrinkably tart.

Advertisement