Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby final, Canes v Landers, Sat 4 July, 0835, SS1

Options
  • 28-06-2015 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭

Which way will the wind blow?

Classic Canes
    |
    Classic Landers

01. Mark "Bull" Allen|01. Carl Hoeft
    02. Norm Hewitt|02. Anton Oliver
    03. Gordon Slater|03. Kees Meews
    04. Paul Tito|04. Simon Maling
    05. Dion Waller|05. James Ryan
    06. Jerry Collins|06. Taine Randell
    07. Kupu Vanisi|07. Josh Kronfeld
    08. Rodney So’oialo|08. Isitolo Maka
    09. Jason Spice|09. Byron Kelleher
    10. David Holwell|10. Tony Brown
    11. Jonah Lomu|11. Romi Ropati
    12. Jason O'Halloran|12. John Leslie
    13. Tana Umaga|13. Pita Alatini
    14. Lome Fa'atau|14. Jeff Wilson
    15. Christian Cullen|15. Brendan "Chainsaw" Laney

Nick rolled out of bed with a smile. “Today is finals day”, he thought. “Off to the cake tin to see the Canes finally land the big one”. Of course, they had been in the finals before, but that was (literally) a foggy memory. Just like the 1st March 1996, when he’d headed up State Highway 2 to Palmy to watch the Wellington Hurricanes play the Auckland Blues in the first ever Super 12 match. He remembered the stop in Paeroa, though, for that “world famous in NZ” drink, and who could forget the Mangatainoka brewery, he’d even hooked up with one of the hot Tui girls post match (Yeah right). A bit hungover the next day (didn’t help that the JAFAs had won), he’d returned to the windy city via Paekakariki, see where that express came from. “Nah, tonight is finally the night!”, he told himself.

Not that he had a thing against Otago. He’d studied there (degree in physio and sports ed) and he’d been at Carisbrook when Blackadder’s men had gatecrashed Tony Brown’s party. The bastards. On another day, wouldn’t begrudge the Otago lads a title, great effort this season it had to be said.

Quick shower, a full Irish breakfast, slip on the Canes shirt – NMS 15 on the back of course – and head into Molly Malones on the Quay for a few Steinies with the mates pre-match. He was a Pat’s Town oldboy, a couple of years ahead of Jerry, one of his cousins had played in the 1st XV with Collins. Still reeling in the shock, really. And another couple of legends to farewell today too, last stop for Ma’a and Conrad before hopping on board the froggie gravy train. Just like that DB ad, though, they’d earned it. Ma’a had been in savage form this season, and Conrad was just his usual reliable self, like that Irish fella, Brian Darcy or whatever it was, he must ask Brodie next time he saw him, he was always good with names.

He’d ensure they were in their seats early, great spot behind the goal, just had to make sure he could blot out that Eales’ kick from his memory. Effin nightmare. Reckoned they needed to shut down Smith & Smith. Also, Sopoaga – the bloody Landers had poached him from Wellington, might have gone to Wellington College, but when Otago came knocking with their rugby scholarship, what could the man do? He had a good mind to write to Stephen Jones about this one. Blocked already on twitter of course, should never have got into that Haka spat.

Just about set, time to think of the after match. Actually, had already arranged to meet some of the Otago lads in town afterwards. Solid bunch of supporters, good to mix with after. They drank Speights, but all can be forgiven.

Right, deep breath, head out, “we can do this”. Headphones, bit of classic Pink Floyd, channel Barrett. Beauden not Syd, of course. Bus into town.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Ouch my head :D

Fab write up, by the way, and a hat tip for the Crazy Diamond references.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,228 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

excellent swiwi !!

though i hope saturday leaves nick still awaiting their first championship :P

The bookies have the canes with a 7 point spread and thats probably fair enough, though its a game where anything can happen.
    Highlanders can look to their last two games of knock out rugby, against the waratahs and the chiefs, and say they won two hard games pretty convincingly so even though their underdogs they are battle hardened. Injury wise the highlanders first 15 will be available and only will be without Dan Pryor and Marty banks from the reserve bench. Pryor has been offering good impact throughout the season but can give away some mindless pens.
    The Hurricanes on the other hand will be sweating on the fitness of Cory Jane, Ardie Savea and Nehe Milner Scudder ahead of the final... with Savea the most likely to play. It will be huge if they can get the three of them starting.

I was delighted with our season last year and hoping for consolidation this year but its been way better, based most importantly on a secure set piece and pin point perfect tactics from the coaches.

I think it will be a one score game either way, hopefully on the highlanders side.
    most of all though i think we are in for one hell of a final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Ouch my head :D

Fab write up, by the way, and a hat tip for the Crazy Diamond references.

Cheers! I'm not sure how many people will get all the references, many of which would require a knowledge of NZ, the preceding 20 years of the Super Rugby competition, some of the recent discussions on the forum, and a knowledge of which posters follow Super Rugby and how they got their usernames.

But I had fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Sands81

Great report Swiwi. I was lucky enough to get tickets for the final today. I think sold out in 58 seconds or something like that. Go the Canes!

Sands81 wrote: »
    Great report Swiwi. I was lucky enough to get tickets for the final today. I think sold out in 58 seconds or something like that. Go the Canes!

NZ is famous of course for its singing and array of chants. Hopefully you can remember it, but for the Wellington side it's "Hurricanes, Hurricanes!" Complicated, sorry. For the men in blue it's "Hiiiighlanders" (roll the R for authentic Southland effect).

Am jealous, have never been to the cake tin. From memory I did go to Athletic Park once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Thanks Swiwi. Looking at the teams you named brought back some memories. There was a bit of talent in that Canes back line.

Right, by my reckoning there are 9 former Hurricanes player who have played for the Irish provinces.

Answers on a postage stamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Right, by my reckoning there are 9 former Hurricanes player who have played for the Irish provinces.

Answers on a postage stamp.

Well I definitely know the one who played for Ireland!

Oh actually, 2 who played for Ireland!

Well I definitely know the one who played for Ireland!

*Cough*

Two.

Ah, I see you beat my Ninja edit...

And just for sydthebeat, 5 of his beloved Highlanders 2015 squad made their Super Rugby debuts for the Hurricanes...

• Advertisement

Christian cullen
    Dave holwell
    Doug howlett
    Iaasc boss
    Jimmy gopperth
    Michael bent?
    Mafi
    Craig Clarke

can't get any more..

That centre for Connacht who joined last season, his name just alludes me ???

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Christian cullen
    Dave holwell
    Doug howlett
    Iaasc boss
    Jimmy gopperth
    Michael bent
    Mafi
    Craig Clarke

can't get any more..

Oh I missed one that's in your list (Mafi). That's 10 so.

Paul Steinmetz
    Matt Berquist

So what about Highlanders players?

Must sleep.
    Will revert...

But Doug Howlett for starters.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Must sleep.
    Will revert...

But Doug Howlett for starters.

Brad Thorn and Matt Berquist are others.

Steinmetz was a highlander, only saw that when I looked it up.

Niva ta'auso is another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

ClintNewland_LeinstertrainingpreDragons.jpg

and they said that mullet would come back to haunt me.... ;)

• Advertisement

Jaysus don't let Nigel Wray hear that one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Canes for fokken lyf joh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭SuprSi

C'mon the Highlanders! Having said that, the Canes are a joy to watch and NMS must be the most exciting player in the competition this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Should be a close one, Highlanders have played really well in every game bar Brumbies and Hurricanes away, when they rested players.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Should be a close one, Highlanders have played really well in every game bar Brumbies and Hurricanes away, when they rested players.

yeah, the round 6 game between the 2 was a tight one, canes coming out on top by 7 points. The highlanders can point to a harsh decision disallowing a try for obstruction in that game.

they are two evenly matched teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Great to see a Shore Boy being held up as the epitome of Southern toughness.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/opinion/69880220/Smith-Why-rugby-romantics-should-be-hollering-for-the-Highlanders

HURRICANES

Coach: Chris Boyd (first year)

Captain: Conrad Smith

Regular season finish: First (W-14, L-2, 66 points)

Best previous performance: Runners-up (2006)

Team: 15-James Marshall, 14-Nehe Milner-Skudder, 13-Conrad Smith, 12-Ma'a Nonu, 11-Julian Savea, 10-Beauden Barrett, 9-TJ Perenara, 8-Victor Vito, 7-Ardie Savea/Callum Gibbins, 6-Brad Shields, 5-James Broadhurst, 4-Jeremy Thrush, 3-Ben Franks, 2-Dane Coles, 1-Reggie Goodes

Replacements: 16-Motu Matu'u, 17-Chris Eves, 18-Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, 19-Mark Abbott/Callum Gibbins, 20-Blade Thomson, 21- Chris Smylie, 22-Rey Lee-Lo, 23-Matt Proctor

- -

HIGHLANDERS

Coach: Jamie Joseph (fifth year)

Captains: Ben Smith and Nasi Manu

Regular season finish: Fourth (W-11, L-5, 53 points)

Best previous performance: Runners-up (1999)

Team: 15-Ben Smith, 14-Waisake Naholo, 13-Malakai Fekitoa, 12-Richard Buckman, 11-Patrick Osborne, 10-Lima Sopoaga, 9-Aaron Smith, 8-Nasi Manu, 7-James Lentjes, 6-Elliot Dixon, 5-Mark Reddish, 4-Alex Ainley, 3-Josh Hohneck, 2-Liam Coltman, 1-Brendon Edmonds

Replacements: 16-Ash Dixon, 17-Daniel Lienert-Brown, 18-Ross Geldenhuys, 19-Joe Wheeler, 20-Gareth Evans, 21-Shane Christie, 22-Fumiaki Tanaka, 23-Marty Banks

Highlanders going for a 6-2 split on the bench, expecting a hard up front battle. Nasi Manu most likely wont play the full 80, with Gareth Evans to replace. Marty Banks, ex-cane, back to the bench to cover 10 and 15. should there be a need to replace a centre we may see Naholo move inside with B Smith to the wing and Banks to 15, god forbid!

I think this will be closer to than the 7 point margin the bookies are giving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Dearly hope Fumi comes on and scores a last minute winning try. Now that would be epic!

• Advertisement

Dearly hope Fumi comes on and scores a last minute winning try. Now that would be epic!

by alex ainley picking him up and throwing him over the line :D

Advertisement