Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi-D neighbour fixing fence post to my house

Options
  • 26-06-2015 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

My neighbour had a fence erected a 5' fence between our properties and I've just noticed he's put the entire fence in on my garden and used my front (house) wall to secure the supporting ugly 3x2 post with massive big fixings nearly the width of my little finger. They've been hammered in to brickwork at least 5" on my side leaving their own property completely untouched with the line of the fence running neatly along their side.

To add insult to injury they've also cut 5" from my cement pathway to accommodate the fence.

I am so terribly upset that any neighbour would put me in this position.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can sort this out? I don't want to fall out with them but it's not the first time this has happened so it's no error. Their back fence was built about 6" higher than mine and the white flex and white boxes for their lights are all on my side which is rather unsightly also but I let it go 'cos I didn't want to cause trouble.

Truthfully I feel rather vulnerable as I live on my own and feel they are taking a hand at me really.

Any suggestions please - I'm just soooo upset.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0027/sec0043.html#sec43
    make it very clear what the rights and wrongs are here.

Clearly your neighbour is jumping all over you so its time you stood up for your rights.

You show him the attached and tell him that the district court legal fees for you to get the works order to undo all this will be c 2,500 plus vat.
    The reasonable professional fees will be the same and that he will be liable for the cost of removing the offending material so the whole episode might cost him 10K.

He does not need your consent to build the fence, but he does need your agreement as per the legislation

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭HelenV

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0027/sec0043.html#sec43
    make it very clear what the rights and wrongs are here.

Clearly your neighbour is jumping all over you so its time you stood up for your rights.

You show him the attached and tell him that the district court legal fees for you to get the works order to undo all this will be c 2,500 plus vat.
    The reasonable professional fees will be the same and that he will be liable for the cost of removing the offending material so the whole episode might cost him 10K.

He does not need your consent to build the fence, but he does need your agreement as per the legislation

Thank you so much for your link. Rest assured I will read it carefully and use it to support my side of the discussion which is inevitable unfortunately.

It's not so much the fence I'm upset about as the three large bolts which have been literally hammered into the stonework on the front of my house and the cutting away of my surrounding pathway to accommodate their new brick paving and fence.

You're quite right - I will stand up for myself. This is just a step too far I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Glad to point you in the right direction.
    As you have more than 50 post, can u post some pictures

you might find my other concerns re the boundary line etc useful here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96020316&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=notification#post96020316

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Fence from front wall

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Did your neighbour mention any of this to you or did you just come home and find it like that?

• Advertisement

Apologies - i"m making a complete dog"s dinner of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭kirving

That is an absolutely horrendous looking job. You are absolutely right to seek to have it removed. Good luck with it.

Don't let your neighbour try to play it down, it looks awful and will affect the selling price of your house.

Effects wrote: »
    Did your neighbour mention any of this to you or did you just come home and find it like that?

Now that's a tricky one!

My neighbour annually cuts the hedge which is mine but was in situ before I purchased and was used as a divider between both properties. He purchased after me. I came out my front door and he was trimming away at the hedge last Saturday. All his work had been completed during that week.

He said his wife asked me was I interested in going 50/50 for a new dividing wall. I did speak with her a number of months ago but I understood it was a general chit chat about what and when I would be ripping up my front garden and removing the hedge. Obviously something must have gotten lost in translation as I've no knowledge of an actual discussion taking place about sharing any cost of a party/party wall.

I literally came home from work one day and their entire front garden was torn up and the hedge cut back. I was rather miffed as I'd have definitely had the ugly ould hedge removed at the same time.

Other than that no, there was no discussion at all good, bad or indifferent.

I'd never have noticed the intrusion or damage to my property had I not decided yesterday to hang a wicker basket and flowers to try and pretty it up a little.

The entire fence is on my side, the stones are not supported from coming into my side as the fence sits on top of them rather than behind. If you notice from one of the photographs the supporting posts are rather large so they have encroached on my property and cut my surrounding cement path to accommodate that width.

That is an absolutely horrendous looking job. You are absolutely right to seek to have it removed. Good luck with it.

Don't let your neighbour try to play it down, it looks awful and will affect the selling price of your house.

Thanks for your support, I really appreciate it. I'm trying to be pragmatic about it and not get too emotional but I was the only adult in the house they would be aware of the struggle I've had down through the years trying to keep the property in half decent order.

There is also a crack on the upper wall I've had to put having sorted on the long finger and I'm now concerned they may have further compromised the entire wall given the size of the holts they hammered the post in with - and ALL on my side.

Calahonda52 pointed out there may be a problem with Land Registry boundaries which is rather serious too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

I wouldn't be too worried about the bolts causing the wall damage, the reason they look so bad is because they didn't drill far enough into the wall with the pilot hole, then proceeded to hammer the express fixing into a hole which wasn't deep enough, resulting in the visible mess

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

HelenV wrote:
    ........ cut my surrounding cement path to accommodate that width.

This on its own would be enough for me to rip them up.......who does he think he is? If he wants the fence he can suffer the posts

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

id hammer the posts into their heads but thats probably not a sensible approach. probably best to do it the legal way. best of luck with it op

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    id hammer the posts into their heads but thats probably not a sensible approach. probably best to do it the legal way. best of luck with it op

They're away now - hopefully for 2 week so I'll be able to calm down and adequately prepare for our eventual wee "chat". I'm no shrinking violet but am absolutely dreading this confrontation.:(

HelenV wrote: »
    They're away now - hopefully for 2 week so I'll be able to calm down and adequately prepare for our eventual wee "chat". I'm no shrinking violet but am absolutely dreading this confrontation.:(

ah just do your homework, get some good advice from wherever possible, including members from here and take it from there. do you have any family or friends that could help you with this? they might just be able to give you moral support. they might be able to be present with you when you eventually have your little chat. citizen information can be very helpful as well.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/

their site is very good but i prefer to call into them for a chat.

gather all your information and advice. write down what you want to say to your neighbours into concise points. as you say, you may have 2 weeks to do all this so you have time. this is a very annoying problem

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

The fence would be down and a nice hedge on there side of the perimeter would look nice.

The fence would be down and a nice hedge on there side of the perimeter would look nice.

I hate to say this, but I LOVE your suggestion!!!

ah just do your homework, get some good advice from wherever possible, including members from here and take it from there. do you have any family or friends that could help you with this? they might just be able to give you moral support. they might be able to be present with you when you eventually have your little chat. citizen information can be very helpful as well.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/

their site is very good but i prefer to call into them for a chat.

gather all your information and advice. write down what you want to say to your neighbours into concise points. as you say, you may have 2 weeks to do all this so you have time. this is a very annoying problem

Yes I have an adult son who came up to-day and he was absolutely furious. He's been a chippy in a previous life and has actually put in fences himself taking "great care" to leave the neighbour's side in a perfect finished state.

I might just need to seek professional advice though so I can be more assertive in this instance to arrive at a satisfactory outcome.

Good idea to suggest writing down concise points - I tend to get flustered and forgetful in awkward situations.

Many thanks.

I tend to get flustered and forgetful in awkward situations.

most of us do particularly when angry.

sounds like your son could be the man for the job but both of you will have to remain calm at all times when dealing with your neighbours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I hate to say this, but I LOVE your suggestion!!!

Say a prayer to saint Enda, and it won't happen again! Lol

Say a prayer to saint Enda, and it won't happen again! Lol

:p I'll refrain from commenting - I might be banned!

• Advertisement

:p I'll refrain from commenting - I might be banned!

feel free to pm your comments to me and i might post it. id nearly take the hit on this one. idiots the lot of them

feel free to pm your comments to me and i might post it. id nearly take the hit on this one. idiots the lot of them

ha ha ... but if I pm'd my address would you come and take the hit for me with my "charming" neighbours.

p,s, The posters here have been great - I appreciate it more than ye'll know.

ha ha ... but if I pm'd my address would you come and take the hit for me with my "charming" neighbours.

p,s, The posters here have been great - I appreciate it more than ye'll know.

hahaha ah im sure you ll find a solution but do listen to the advice from people here and wherever else.

keep chatting about it, you ll be surprised what good advice people have here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I'd be seriously annoyed off if my neighbour carried out that work.

The audacity to carry it out without consulting you and the standard of the work is atrocious.

I can see the thinking behind it, throw the posts on your side sure the hedge will hide them - highlighted by trying to conceal it the couple of feet from the house where the hedge is not present.

As stated the fixings are either too long or the hole not drilled deep enough (at least they didn't drill through to your front room).

If it were me I would remove anything my side of the dividing line and whatever happens the rest of it they can deal with it. They should get the message upon their return.

I can see the thinking behind it, throw the posts on your side sure the hedge will hide them - highlighted by trying to conceal it the couple of feet from the house where the hedge is not present.

Exactly right. They also went so far as to cut the hedge back on their side so they could fully fit the fence in my garden and pathway. The crazy thing is that if they hadn't put the lats (?) on my side God only knows when I'd have noticed it was encroaching on my property.

I'm not sure whether the wee piece of capping was already gone from the front wall where the fencing stands but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that as it was covered by hedging so I cannot say for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HandsomeRover

I'm not sure whether the wee piece of capping was already gone from the front wall where the fencing stands but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that as it was covered by hedging so I cannot say for sure.

Find your house on Google Streetview... that might tell you if the hedge allows.

Terrible business. Get your head straight here, you are not paying a mortgage (and all the other lark that goes with it these days) to put up with this nonsense. I wouldn't be too worried about a fall out, they don't strike me as the kind of folk i'd be too bothered about.

Easy for me to say though. Have your son about (in the front garden) when you doorstep them. You'd be surprised how much a presence like that will focus their mind if they were the type to be difficult.

I wont offer you luck - you don't need it! Be firm and straight. Cheeky beggars.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,028 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

that fence requires planning permission.

you can only build 1.2 m (4ft) high to the front without permission, and youve said that its 5ft

sydthebeat wrote: »
    that fence requires planning permission.

you can only build 1.2 m (4ft) high to the front without permission, and youve said that its 5ft

I've just measured it and where the fence is fixed to my front wall it measures 5' 10" but it graduates down to bang on 4' for what I can see is a little more than 2/3rds. Seems they weren't behind the door when it came to attracting attention regarding planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭SC024

Im not taking sides here but your side is the one with the hedge on it? Hope im not taking this up wrong I dont understand the reason for you getting very upset over this? If you sit down & think about this calmly that strip the width of fence 4 inches give or take up untill recently has been behind the hedge so that strip 5 inchs by length of garden was effectively of no use whatsoever to you? it was on your neighbors side of the hedge. Hardly worth getting upset over in my honest opinion. I'd have to ask the question is it really worth causing agro for years & going to courts with your neighbor over something that small which you can't really make use anyways because its the wrong side of the hedge?

• Advertisement

SC024 wrote: »
    Im not taking sides here but your side is the one with the hedge on it? Hope im not taking this up wrong I dont understand the reason for you getting very upset over this? If you sit down & think about this calmly that strip the width of fence 4 inches give or take up untill recently has been behind the hedge so that strip 5 inchs by length of garden was effectively of no use whatsoever to you? it was on your neighbors side of the hedge. Hardly worth getting upset over in my honest opinion. I'd have to ask the question is it really worth causing agro for years & going to courts with your neighbor over something that small which you can't really make use anyways because its the wrong side of the hedge?

Seriously? So you think if you have a hedge in your garden it's acceptable for your neighbour to cut it back and put their fence in your garden?

Would you have a problem if they used your (house) wall, rather than theirs, to drill holes in and cut away some of your path so the fence can be accommodated on your side rather than theirs?

I've paid dearly for those 6 inches of property and I'll be letting them know in no uncertain terms that as it's mine they have no business whatsoever putting their hand in my pocket so to speak.

Advertisement