Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paganism

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Tbh I think it can be a lot to do with how or if you even do advertise yourself to others as a certain reiligon!
    Ive only said about myself when asked or if I deem it appropriate to the conversation, as in this thread etc, and the pentacle around my neck but thats it, its the belief that makes the most sense to me and thats about it!

Ive known people who just say no matter what they have to let you know :rolleyes: "Im pagan" , "Im kinky" "Im goth" etc etc, Imean I have been recognised as those too and I am but those kinda people who are just in your face about it and going way over in any way just to show people can and have wrecked my head :P Someimes they can be as bad almost as militant athiests or militant catholics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

conorhal wrote: »
    Indeed. It's hilarious to hear people talk about a religion esentially invented in the 1960's as 'an ancient religious practice'.
    The druids wrote nothing down and we know next to nothing about them or what they believed.
    The Druidism and much of the new age guff we see today is the product of 19th Century revivalism in Wales where the industrial revolution prompted a movement to celebrate simpler times and national identity.
    People would dress up and dance around fanciful stone circles that they built and have a laugh, but it was merely a fad that was only later revived by the Hippie movement in the 60's who blended it with eastern Gia worship and philosophy with a liberal dose of fanciful fantasy thrown in.

I've met a couple of practicioners and found them to be harmeless, fluffy pleasant individuals that you wouldnt have the heart to pour scorn on though.

Aye the druids were all burnt out of it on Anglesey buy the Romans, There is no evidence of any of the practices that go on in Stonehenge By modern day Druids. Have no idea why modern ahem “Druids” are given access to the site over normal people.

Have no idea why modern ahem “Druids” are given access to the site over normal people.

They probably won't try to take pieces home with them, try to climb it, or carve their initials in the stones...like normal people would.

They probably won't try to take pieces home with them, try to climb it, or carve their initials in the stones...like normal people would.

:pac:

:pac:

Damn normals, always spoiling the party. Exactly what I was talking about.

• Advertisement

Damn normals, always spoiling the party. Exactly what I was talking about.

I think you will find those same hippy's are the Druids nowadays.

I think you will find those same hippy's are the Druids nowadays.

I'll have to take your word for it. Pagan is your middle name, after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Aye the druids were all burnt out of it on Anglesey buy the Romans, There is no evidence of any of the practices that go on in Stonehenge By modern day Druids. Have no idea why modern ahem “Druids” are given access to the site over normal people.

Funny you should say that, because pretty much the only source we have that tells us anything about what the druids did or were like happens to be the Romans. A few dozen mentions of these barbarians.
    The only primary source we have is archaeology, and that is sadly scant. Trying to ascertain what the druids believed from what we have would be like aliens looking at the foundations of an ancient church and trying to surmise what Catholicism was. You can imagine it, 'whatever these earthlings believed, clearly they died out due to human sacrifice. I mean, look at this place, there are tokens of crucified bodies all over the place!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Get this... I was walking through the sitting room and there was the remote right there on the floor.

I actually said a Prayer to Richard Dawkins, but thanks pagan folk who tried their best at the coven last night.

Advertisement