Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times Amateur Photographer of the year

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mr.Christmas

i did like 'greenhouse'. and the tones in 'floating' are lovely.

Like the floating one and the girl on the train tracks - but it is a poor crop - would like to see all the dress to lead the eye more. The Turkey one would be far better without the blur. Cafe one is very good.
    The standard is strange - street was the best thus far. There seems to be a lot of cliche shots in the categories - and then some real standout images.
    Let's hope the travel section is good - not like a few years back when a dog on the dart won it.
    Nature will have top class images - some serious photographers in Ireland doing great nature work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Travel

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/amateur-photographer-of-the-year-awards-finalists-travel-1.2265765

I can't see them because the IT has decided to throw me the other side of the paywall. Good job, IT !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Travel

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/amateur-photographer-of-the-year-awards-finalists-travel-1.2265765

I can't see them because the IT has decided to throw me the other side of the paywall. Good job, IT !

some great ones in there! Really like about 10 of them!

Few very questionable ones as usual :D

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

The travel section is my favourite so far, followed by street. I thought the open was disappointing. I didn't rate one or two at all. I liked the colour and the monochrome was a mixed bag, my favourite in that section is the girl in the curtains. Some lovely images in the colour section. The South American girl was my favourite portrait.

beth-lou, or anyone else who has had an image that won or got in the top 3 before in any of the categories, do we have to wait to check the paper ourselves on Saturday to see how our image did, or do they contact you or something?

• Advertisement

mystic86 wrote: »
    beth-lou, or anyone else who has had an image that won or got in the top 3 before in any of the categories, do we have to wait to check the paper ourselves on Saturday to see how our image did, or do they contact you or something?

I have no clue. This is the first time I have entered a competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Annnnnd Nature, last bunch of finalists.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/amateur-photographer-of-the-year-awards-finalists-nature-1.2268059

Usual grab-bag. Good ones are very good, the "why on earth were they included" ones are very "why on earth were they included"

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

Locked out. Predictions for how long this latest Irish Times paywall lasts?

My guess is Christmas.

edit: Managed to get in from work account. Nature and landscape do nothing for me in general, but the dogfighting eagles seems like the pick of the bunch.

Phone calls - no phone call = no win.

Phone calls - no phone call = no win.

Ah OK, cool, I'm guessing it's been printed now as it's a supplement, so I'm guessing no phone call by now means no 'win'

• Advertisement

Ah OK, cool, I'm guessing it's been printed now as it's a supplement, so I'm guessing no phone call by now means no 'win'

Doubt it has been printed. I guess it will go to print Friday.
    Time yet. Stay positive.

I read on another old thread that they only phone the overall winner. Everyone else finds out on the day, the old fashioned way. At least that's how it happened in the previous competition. I'm not expecting to win anything. I think your image is very strong though mystic86. Fingers crossed for you.

beth-lou wrote: »
    I read on another old thread that they only phone the overall winner. Everyone else finds out on the day, the old fashioned way. At least that's how it happened in the previous competition. I'm not expecting to win anything. I think your image is very strong though mystic86. Fingers crossed for you.

I really like your image, never know :)

ah thanks :o

I really like your image, never know :)

ah thanks :o

You need to clear your inbox. :)

You need to clear your inbox. :)

Done :)

Anyone know if they publish online at midnight normally?

Anyone know if they publish online at midnight normally?

Does it not hit the shops around now in Dublin? First edition out, no?
    Online will be about 4 a.m, I think.
    All done and dusted now.
    Expect a black and white portrait to win Best Photograph and shots of reflections to figure prominently throughout.
    Danielle Houghton to win outright, methinks.
    And the usual - how-the- f u c k-did-they-choose-that type shots.

Does it not hit the shops around now in Dublin? First edition out, no?
    Online will be about 4 a.m, I think.
    All done and dusted now.
    Expect a black and white portrait to win Best Photograph and shots of reflections to figure prominently throughout.
    Danielle Houghton to win outright, methinks.
    And the usual - how-the- f u c k-did-choose-that type shots.

No idea, I'm not in Dublin at the moment.

4am, feck that, can wait till the morning if it isn't up in the next hour or so.

No idea, I'm not in Dublin at the moment.

4am, feck that, can wait till the morning if it isn't up in the next hour or so.

No sign

Set your alarm for 4am Mystic. ;).
    I reckon they'll drag it out. More clicks on their site. Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Hard luck Mystic.
    I really like the portrait winner. Very deserving and photograph of the year. Strange that one of the monochrome finalists won the street category.

Hard luck Mystic.
    I really like the portrait winner. Very deserving and photograph of the year. Strange that one of the monochrome finalists won the street category.

no I don't think it was, it was a finalist in the street category that won the street category..?

Thanks, and hard luck to you!

And to amdgilmore.

Ah, ok. My sleepy head is a bit confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

Can't complain - getting shortlisted was more than I expected for entering three old photos 30 minutes before the deadline.

Well done to winners and nominees.

amdgilmore wrote: »
    Can't complain - getting shortlisted was more than I expected for entering three old photos 30 minutes before the deadline.

Well done to winners and nominees.

Absolutely. Some great photos in there and I think Danielle is a very deserving winner. What a great eye she has. I love the the winning photo in the open category and the monochrome winner was actually one of my favourites. Amazing to even reach the short list.
    Sure there's always next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

The quality in this competition was amazing. Congrats to all that got shortlisted - this wasn't a throwaway, facebook-like gathering nothing. It really did Ireland's photography a service. It's some honour to get anywhere near that short list - well done all!

Advertisement