Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who drink alone

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Pfft, I drink alone the whole time and have done for years and it has never done me any harm. The voices in my head told me so.

You're never really alone when there are voices in your head...

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

in the end we all die alone :(:(

I occasionally drink alone but prefer being in the company of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Thoie wrote: »
    There's a lot of "ifs" to the question.

You should get 5 glasses of wine from a bottle. If a bottle lasts the entire week, that's quite reasonable.

If the person says "I can't sleep unless I've had some wine", I'd suggest they learn other ways to destress/talk to their doctor.

If the person gets unreasonably ratty when someone suggests that's quite a bit, it'd give me pause for thought.

The stigma about drinking alone is usually a concern that the quantity being consumed is underestimated. Combined with other signs, people may wonder "is it really one, maybe 2 glasses, 2-3 times a week?" Or is it really a bottle a night? Does the person pass up social events in order to stay home and have their glass of wine?

There's nothing wrong with either drinking at home, or drinking alone, or doing both. I would find it peculiar if it was all the time.

Its expensive to head into town.

Hello hello! Are yee all gone out? Hic

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Nothing wrong with it at all; I like my own company and I like a nice glass or two of wine / beer.
    People going out on the weekend and getting shitfaced is probably worse for them than me sitting here with a drink reading a book or boards is for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I was in Lidl at 10:00am a few weeks ago. The guy before me at the checkout bought ten bottles of beer, the guys after me bought five bottles of wine and a packet of biscuits. Why do you buy alcohol as soon as it is possible to buy it in the morning? That is worrying.
    There is nothing wrong drinking alone. If you do it every day it is not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

diomed wrote: »
    I was in Lidl at 10:00am a few weeks ago. The guy before me at the checkout bought ten bottles of beer, the guys after me bought five bottles of wine and a packet of biscuits. Why do you buy alcohol as soon as it is possible to buy it in the morning? That is worrying.

Not really. They could've been about to start a long shift at work or anything, really. Sometimes I buy beer in the morning in anticipation of a party in the evening so that it will be nice and chilled. And biscuits are delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I am having a glass of wine right now..on my own.
    Perfectly normal...and helps wash the cornflakes down. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

But the Gubbermint thinks this is outrageous, along with buying the stuff from the Supermarket too. God almighty.Coming to a house near you.
    We HAVE to go to the pub to be protected from ourselves. That is the message here folks.

Nanny State or what.
    Personal choice was always there to either drink alone or with others at home.

Until someone decided that it was not in the interests of the PUBS.

Go figure.

Your home is your castle and they cannot control you there. EVER. As much as they would like to try!

I've nothing against a good "gubbermint" bashing when it's due- but what do they have to do with the OP's question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    nice to see ireland is still deluded with alcohol and its use

Actually the real issue with Ireland is the weird situation where going out with friends and getting paralytic is seen as less "alcoholic" then having a few beers at home by yourself or passing a LIDL in the summer and picking up a slab on special offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

My OH and most of her family don't drink (maybe one at Christmas :eek:)

I drink alone.

It goes further anyway, when you don't have to share :)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think if someone has a few glasses of wine at the end of the day, say 2-3 nights a week, alone, is this perfectly normal? Or a little worrying?

Why do you have to be with someone to enjoy a beer/wine/whiskey/brandy/whatever ?

Have you never gone to the pub on an afternoon with the paper or a book and enjoyed your couple of beers by yourself whilst reading or doing the crossword?

And what's this taboo about drinking alcohol at home as well? If it's so wrong then why is alcohol sold in containers specifically to be transported away from the point of sale (the off license) and consumed elsewhere (at home)?

I think people who are vehemently against drinking at home are the ones with the problem. They are effectively admitting that consuming alcohol is a dirty, shameful activity that they engage in but at least don't sully their residence with such a filthy pastime......or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭Corvo

Drinking alone isnt the problem for me.

It's the damn record player I bought. I only have one record and I was having a few whiskeys in the house listening to it over and over again.

Then I said "Christ Im sick of that song"...

It wasn't even turned on.

That's what drinking alone does

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

YFlyer wrote: »
    Instead of a few glasses of wine, I would sometimes have a few mugs of wine while relaxing watching TV.
    Yeah, I sometime like to drink alcohol from non-glass containers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Yeah, I sometime like to drink alcohol from non-glass containers.

Do you sit there quaffing Cab-Sav from a tetra-pak carton? :pac:

Best is the box of cider. When it's nearly empty, take out the foil container baggy and squeeze the last remnants through the plastic tap. Then inflate the foil baggy and use as a pillow when you're bolloxed.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

A pub that I go to for a Saturday pint is brilliant. I go there alone and sit at the bar in the corner with the paper or my phone and read online newspapers. Have a few beers and the juke box in this place is the best I've ever seen/heard. It has just about everything on it. Every album by every band from every era. From Stones, Beatles, Kinks to Zeppelin to Sex Pistols to the Jam...to Pearl Jam...to bloody everything. Why wouldn't you want to drink alone in such a place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Nothing annoys me more than people who Can't do things alone.

Oh I can't eat alone people might judge me, as if people care that much about you, idiots.

Slightly off topic i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Do you think if someone has a few glasses of wine at the end of the day, say 2-3 nights a week, alone, is this perfectly normal? Or a little worrying?

F**k off and mind your own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭pavb2

If you cant enjoy your own company then you shouldn't inflict it on others.

Pavb2 ch7:v23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

My cat is usually with me so I'm not really alone.

diomed wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong drinking alone. If you do it every day it is not good.

Do you not have to wait till 11 am?

Egginacup wrote: »
    Do you sit there quaffing Cab-Sav from a tetra-pak carton? :pac:

Best is the box of cider. When it's nearly empty, take out the foil container baggy and squeeze the last remnants through the plastic tap. Then inflate the foil baggy and use as a pillow when you're bolloxed.

Chinaware my friend.

Egginacup wrote: »
    Why do you have to be with someone to enjoy a beer/wine/whiskey/brandy/whatever ?

Have you never gone to the pub on an afternoon with the paper or a book and enjoyed your couple of beers by yourself whilst reading or doing the crossword?

Oh God no she wouldn't.

I'm guessing Melisa is the type of girl that would get a new boyfriend before breaking up with current one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think if someone has a few glasses of wine at the end of the day, say 2-3 nights a week, alone, is this perfectly normal? Or a little worrying?

You've asked two questions there. Firstly drinking alone is ok. Secondly the frequency is seperate to with whom you drink. If somebody has that many units drinking outside the house it's as unhealthy. How unhealthy it is depends on the person, and his/her other habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

About 3/4 of a bottle of Burgundy most nights. The first glass helps me to enjoy the next two.

I don't drink normally but when I do, I don't drink normally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ballyargus

I thoroughly enjoy drinking alone and I won't be euphemistic about it either and say "a glass" or "a beer", plenty is had and plenty is enjoyed. Good music or a good comedy goes on and I have a bloody good time.

There's no social compromise being made whatsoever and I'm enjoying my own company and my own tastes. In every way possible.

Work can be a bit of a bitch the next day though :)

EDIT: I also enjoy a good aul shmoke inside while I do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Tubberadora

I would have 2/3 cans most nights, never while the kids are up and usually when the wife is gone to bed. I like having an hour completely to myself before I go to bed.

Advertisement