Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carseat: forward or rearward facing?

Options
  • 21-06-2015 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

So basically I know with the new regulations coming in and all children are recommended to be rearward facing until the age of 4. We are going to be buying a seat for our 15 month old in the next few days. I'm Just curious to know how many will have their child rearward facing until they are 4? Or for those going for the next size up after the maxi cosi (group 0)...How many are going for the rearward and how many are buying the forward facing? Also, does anyone know when these regulations are coming into law? Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Sligo1 wrote: »
    So basically I know with the new regulations coming in and all children are recommended to be rearward facing until the age of 4. We are going to be buying a seat for our 15 month old in the next few days. I'm Just curious to know how many will have their child rearward facing until they are 4? Or for those going for the next size up after the maxi cosi (group 0)...How many are going for the rearward and how many are buying the forward facing? Also, does anyone know when these regulations are coming into law? Thanks :)

I think the regs are actually to 18 months but I could be wrong. We are definitely going rearward facing for as long as possible, our maxi Cosi is RF to 13kg and we've already got one that's RF to 18kg (two cars). When he grows out of the maxi Cosi we'll probably get the joie stages to keep him RF.

I'm a member of Extended rear facing Ireland and the attached was actually posted yesterday.

If you look up forward facing crashes the load on babies necks is horrifying for a baby so young

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

Our mans only 8 months, but we've ordered the be-safe izi combo, RF isofix up till 18kg. If only car manufactures would stand over the ISO fix till 25kg as opposed to 18 kg, as the seat is suitable till 25kg, but can be used FF also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Thanks mirrorwall, that's really informative! I didn't realise it was only a recommended until they were 18mth. Don't know why I had it in my head it was until 4yo!? My son has been forward facing since he moved out of the maxicosi (2.5 now) and there's not a hope we would get him rearward facing. Hes in a maxicosi axis. But our youngest has only ever known rearward facing so she wouldn't really know any different. The once or twice I've put her into my sons seat she just loves facing forward. It's a shame really she has to face a boring leather seat! But u can't really argue with those injury statistics you've provided! :).

Thanks mirrorwall, that's really informative! I didn't realise it was only a recommended until they were 18mth. Don't know why I had it in my head it was until 4yo!? My son has been forward facing since he moved out of the maxicosi (2.5 now) and there's not a hope we would get him rearward facing. Hes in a maxicosi axis. But our youngest has only ever known rearward facing so she wouldn't really know any different. The once or twice I've put her into my sons seat she just loves facing forward. It's a shame really she has to face a boring leather seat! But u can't really argue with those injury statistics you've provided! :).

Some of the rearfacing that aren't infant seats are high up so they can actually see out the back window!

The four years old is the legal requirement in Sweden (and they are BIG into child safety!) but I think the new regs are to standardise Europe at 18months but I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We have our three year old and 22 month old in extended rear facing seats. Bsafe ones, can't recall the name. Our older child has plenty of room left and weight wise seems to be fine for the next while. By the time she's out of it I'm hoping there'll be options for older kids. Car safety is one thing I'm really concerned about though and I never considered not keeping them rear facing for as long as possible.

Eta ours can see everything because they sit quite high up in them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is recommended up until 4 but i-size will make it mandatory until 15 months.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It is recommended up until 4 but i-size will make it mandatory until 15 months.

Thanks, that's it! I knew I wasn't quite right but couldn't remember

Ok cool. Sorry I've been to tony kealys who explained a bit to me but they dosnt know a lot about I size and my head was totally confused by all the different ones tbh.

I think there's a new maxi cosi I-size pearl (which goes front and rear facing) which looks good. I'm just not sure if it will do L until she is 4. I'd also like isofix (I think). And a swivel that makes it easy to put them in the car would be a bonus (our axis has this). My friend recommended I give the Incar safety in Belfast a ring which I might try and do today.

In the meantime if there are any recommedations for really good isofix rearward facing seats Id appreciate it :). Thanks again. This is why i love boards :).

The Bsafe ones we have are all in one. As in the base and seat are one unit. So once they're installed its a bit tricky to take them out. But that makes them extra secure in my eyes, they're not fiddled about with. I checked out another brand but the Bsafe ones had more history behind them so we went with them. The.seats/bases click into the isofix points. Only problem is that there's no way anyone fits in the middle back seat because they wouldn't be able to get in and out. But we'll live with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

I hate when this subject comes up because I know my 18 month old son should absolutely be in a rear-facing seat, all of the research shows how much safer they are.

Thing is, my mum insisted on buying his next stage car seat as his Christmas present. I was (obviously!) delighted, and my only request was that she'd get a rear-facing one. I didn't even research brands etc (so I'm no help to you there, Sligo!), I left that up to her as I knew that she'd have no problem paying more to get the safest one in the shop.

The local supplier which she went to convinced her that the forward-facing seat she got was the safest one on the market. He told her that rear-facing seats are an American thing and not readily available in Ireland. Funnily enough, they had no rear-facing ones in stock. And my mum can be very trusting and gullible. :o

So he's perfectly happy in the forward-facing seat - think it's called a BeSafe Izi Go? It reclines to a few different settings, so he naps very comfortably in it. As forward-facing seats go, I know it's probably extremely safe. And it's really high up, so he has a great view out of the front and side windows. He's rarely in the car, and when he is, it's generally only for short periods in low-speed areas.

However if - spaghetti-monster forbid - we were ever in an accident, and he was hurt ... I would end up beating myself up over not asking her to return it. Even though I know she'd feel hurt over it if I did.

On the other hand, I know of a few parents who got rear-facing seats but it didn't work out for them because the child would scream for the entire journey. Not good if you have long daily journeys with them in the car.

The ideal, I think, is to get one of the ones that can face either way, with the intention of using them rear-facing as much as possible.

On a side note, my parents are a bit bemused by the changes in car safety for babies and children. Our family of nine used to make regular cross-country trips in an estate car - my parents in the front with the youngest on my mum's knee or in the footwell, four in the backseat with no seatbelts, two in the boot (that was the most fun place - as I said, an estate car, so we actualy had most room in there!) It doesn't bear thinking about the carnage if there had ever been an accident - in particular I wince thinking about my youngest sister playing in the footwell in front of my mothers feet! Even with my own baby, I had to convince my parents that it wasn't enough to strap him into his MaxiCosi seat - they thought it was just a matter of strapping him in and plonking the seat onto the backseat - I had to convince them it was very important to also strap the seat to the car, and to tighten the straps firmly on him with no thick layers of clothing.

Anyways Sligo, while I can't advise you on a brand, I'd say not to get a forward-facing one as it'll probably niggle away at you! For peace of mind, rear-facing is best.

I think parents can take it as a judgement on their parenting when we insist on doing things a certain way that's the polar opposite to stuff that never did us any harm. I had to gently remind my mother that I'm not judging their parenting, as they were pretty diligent about car safety, but that research moves on and when my children are parents I'll be thinking that things were different too.
    I wish the phrase never did you/me any harm was banned though. It's so often trotted out as an excuse for parenting choices from putting rice in baby bottles to smacking children. Just because something didn't do you any harm doesn't mean its the right thing to do.

A few things

ASFAIK manufacturers won't rate isofix above 18kg (3/4 years), seatbelted ones go to 23kg (5/6 years) rear facing

What is your budget? That affects choice

Are you looking for a combo seat that converts to a booster when older or not?

Also this site is Swedish so they are all ERF which might help with less confusion http://shop.carseat.se

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I had my eldest ff at about 13mnths. When i read the info re rf with my second i decided to go rf. Due to budget i bought 2 joie stages and switched my daughter back to rf at 2.5yrs. She didnt mind at all. Seems alot more comfortable to be honest. L has always been rf so none the wiser. She does see out the back window and side window fine. Also i have mirrors on back window so we can see each other.
    I went with joie as rf to 18kg and then ff. . Shes 3 now 98cm and 13.5kg still has plenty of room.
    On occasion she has been ff in my dads car and no problems going back rf.

Mocha please, that's pretty much what happened to us when getting our car seat for T. I had never heard to ERF and the shop we went to didn't seem to know much about them. I wonder if we went to the same guy!! Lol. but as my daughter is none the wiser I'm going to go with ERF for her as like you, I'd be plagued by thought if something happened... Could I have prevented it by putting her rearward.

Thanks for all the recommendations thus far and all the help.

A few things

ASFAIK manufacturers won't rate isofix above 18kg (3/4 years), seatbelted ones go to 23kg (5/6 years) rear facing

What is your budget? That affects choice

Are you looking for a combo seat that converts to a booster when older or not?

Also this site is Swedish so they are all ERF which might help with less confusion http://shop.carseat.se

Thanks mirrorwall, budget isn't too restrictive. I don't think we are looking for one that converts to a booster. Just one that we won't have to change again in a year. We would be happy if it lasted till she is 4. I posted a link to the pearl in my last post. It seems to tick the boxes. My friend said its not the longest seat so prob wouldn't fit my son but should do my daughter fine. And as Mocha please advised, it actually goes both ways so if there ever were any problems with her being ERF, we could change her to forward. But hopefully that won't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

Mocha please, that's pretty much what happened to us when getting our car seat for T. I had never heard to ERF and the shop we went to didn't seem to no much about them..

KK in Sligo? If so, yes!

KK in Sligo? If so, yes!

Yes!!!!!! I usually find them so so good. But I think I got that spiel about it being American or something aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

Hi Sligo

We got the britax dualfix for our cars and really like it. It's isofix (so up to 18kg) and swivels so easy getting in and out.
    Seat isn't huge though so I would think to get til 4 out of it, you'd want no more than an average height child. My 2 year old is very happy in his rearfacing and can see loads. It's also not quite as big as izi be safe combi which wouldn't fit in my small car!
    http://www.britax.ie/car-seats/car-seats/dualfix
    I got them in incarsafety in Belfast and found them great for knowledge on ERFs

There's a few others that are ERF to 18kg, isofix and swivel. The britax dualfix, sirona black beauty, rebl caviar that I can see. Maybe research which of them has the highest height allowed and that way you are more likely to reach the max weight? Depends on where your baba is on the centiles too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

I would highly recommend incarsafety up in Belfast. In all my dealings with them they have been great. We have two in rearfacing seats that will do until they are about 6 yrs, can't remember the weight limit. It's the Britax two-way elite model. They can be turned to face forwards as well.

Only happened to buy the first one as it was the only car seat at the time (in the whole country) that could accommodate a child in a spica cast (our first had development hip dysplasia). They have great videos on installing the seat and whenever I've rung they have been very helpful over the phone - no matter how long since purchase.

I brought my car with the seats along to one of the RSA safety fitting checks that they were doing last year (?) and the guy there thought they were a great seat and one of the safest. They were pricey, over 300 euro but they do last until about 6yrs (depending on weight n height of child). I think you can put them in it from 6 months but would have to check that. Ours was 9 months anyway when she got her cast on.

I find shops down here haven't a clue about rearfacing and tend to steer you towards forward facing seats.

We manage to fit our two rearfacing and an isofix baby seat across the middle of car no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Tigger1

[QUOTE

We manage to fit our two rearfacing and an isofix baby seat across the middle of car no problems.[/QUOTE]

Hi, what car do you have? If it's a scenic do you have the two way elite in the middle seat? Where do the tethers ties to?

Having a nightmare with seats at the minute

No we have Peuguot 5008. It has three individual seats across the middle - I think you need three separate seats if you have any chance of fitting three car seats across the middle. Other cars that we looked at were Citroen Grand Picasso, Ford S Max and Volkswagon Touran. There are more though, as you say the Grand Scenic could be a possibility, I just didn't fancy a Renault.

As the Peuguot has footwells at the window seats, we put the isofix in the middle. You would have to open footwell and empty it and extend the leg on the isofix to the bottom of footwell as isofix cannot be put on top of footwell cover. It could crumple in a crash.

The two Britax two way Elites are at the windows. The tethers go around the seats in front. So the driver and passenger seat cannot be moved up and down unless you want to reinstall the child seats every time. We've never found it a major problem not being able to move our seats. It's done exactly as the video put up by incarsafetycentre on youtube.

Having said this, baby no 3 has yet to arrive. So while all seats fit (we checked), it might not work out that way or the way we have arranged them. Depends how hands on the older two are with the baby in the middle!

Sorry about the car brand spelling!

Oh and I rang the incarsafety crowd and asked the following: Can you put the two way Elite in the middle seat. They said yes as long as the top of the seat rested against both passenger and driver chairs - that might be awkward, we didn't try ours in the middle. I also asked can you put the seat in those pop up boot seats that these MPV cars tend to have. They said yes but that getting in and out of the seat might be tricky space wise, but the seat could be installed there too.

Feeling your nightmare - been there! But you do figure it out eventually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Tigger1

Thanks a million for all the info. Yes we have the grand scenic, and my three kids are 6, 4 and 3! We were all sorted with seats until the three year old hit 17.5 kg and needs a new seat, also the 4 year old is only 19kg and also needs a new seat! Spent 4 hours trying to get a combination of seats to fit with both mothercare and halfords staff out with me.

I really want to keep the 6 and 4 year olds in high backed boosters and the three year old has to have a harness. Don't really want to put anyone in the boot, and the high backed boosters rub against the seat belt mechanism and stops it retracting.

So I think my only option is too return the youngest to rear facin but the seat has to go in the middle to keep room for the boosters so the seat belts work freely!!!

Or buy a new car !

Get all that! Head is melted

Sorry for taking this thread off topic!

Oh yeah totally painful! Maybe consider the Multimac before a new car - way cheaper!! I was thinking about it, but our oldest still needs another hip op and god forbid the third baby needed a spica cast - not worth the risk!

Thanks again for the recommendations DrDoc, mirrowall and theluggage. I didn't get around to researching or ringing incar safety yesterday but think I defo need to do a bit today or tomorrow. There seem to be sooo many. I haven't had to do this since we bought our travel system 2.5 years ago! When I bought our car seat for T I just bought the one the shop told me to. I'm going to do my research this time :). Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Just to add that I was anti seat belt fitted ones until we got the joie tilt-it's actually solid as a rock and the belt doesn't get in the way at all (my baby is only 4.5months). Isofix is handy but belt fitted is great too-in our case the joie meant we could get an ERF for each car rather than trying to move it

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

We bought 2 maxi cosi Axissfix I-size last week. Planning on rear facing until at least 2 but if we can get longer we will.

http://http://www.maxi-cosi.com/ie-en/products/car-seats/toddler/axissfix.aspx

John Mason wrote: »
    We bought 2 maxi cosi Axissfix I-size last week. Planning on rear facing until at least 2 but if we can get longer we will.

http://http://www.maxi-cosi.com/ie-en/products/car-seats/toddler/axissfix.aspx

Yea that's the new axis. We have the old one (bought 3 of them 2 years ago) and they don't rear face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I'm looking into our next car seat at the moment and saw this one on Tony Kealys website this morning - has anyone seen it / thoughts?

http://tonykealys.com/nuna-rebl-car-seat.html

Advertisement