Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full Windows 10 - Free [microsoft.com]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Microsoft have said what will happen: http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-windows-insider-program-is-not-a-free-upgrade-path-for-xp-users-to-windows-10

And that news post in effect says:
    There will be no way to move to Windows 10 RTM without buying a license unless you already have a valid Windows 7 or Windows 8 license.

The Insider Program continues after RTM so what you will receive is continued trial builds as part of the insider program that will eventually expire unless you keep installing previews. But that is not the same as getting an RTM + licensed copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

breathn wrote: »

Why are you quoting the monkey, when the monkey is quoting the organ-grinder?

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/
    If you decide to opt-out of the program and upgrade to the 7/29 build you will be subject to exactly the same terms and conditions that govern the offer* that was extended to all Genuine Windows 7 and 8.1 customers. This is not a path to attain a license for Windows XP or Windows Vista systems. If your system upgraded from a Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license it will remain activated, but if not, you will be required to roll back to your previous OS version or acquire a new Windows 10 license. If you do not roll back or acquire a new license the build will eventually expire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

So, essentially, if you stay in the Insider program you will get a fully featured, continuously updating version of Windows 10 without any cost.

If you leave the Insider program, and have Windows 8.1 or 7, you will get a fully featured, continuously updating version of Windows 10 without any cost.

:D

OK, yes, the difference being that the Insider build will always be an evaluation build and if you don't update to the next Insider build when it comes out your existing build will eventually time bomb and stop working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Well today is for the release anyone upgraded yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭degsie

Installing now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

degsie wrote: »
    Installing now

let us know what its like? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Installed it on all the PC's at my workplace last night. Looks & runs great!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

How's Minesweeper/Freecell?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Techmaster wrote: »
    Installed it on all the PC's at my workplace last night. !

Brave much ?

long_b wrote: »
    Brave much ?

I work at a computer store ;)

• Advertisement

A few people in work are waiting a week or two? Which while I can understand.But yet if it was an android or IOS upgrade they would be all over it. Can't understand the logic. The more people that get on it the more bugs they find the better the next release/update will be.

TallGlass wrote: »
    A few people in work are waiting a week or two? Which while I can understand.But yet if it was an android or IOS upgrade they would be all over it. Can't understand the logic. The more people that get on it the more bugs they find the better the next release/update will be.

whats the rush? nothing wrong with windows 7 or xp for that matter. os updates can be a headache. i ll sit tight and see if its for me

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    whats the rush? nothing wrong with windows 7 or xp for that matter. os updates can be a headache. i ll sit tight and see if its for me

There is no rush, Windows 10 looks interesting, like 7 with features of 8. Makes for a good OS to be honest I use both and like both !

IOS and Android updated can be a headache also. So why do people rush to upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I have Windows 8.1 - can I still avail of Windows 10 free?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

If you're running XP you really should be upgrading. OS updates can be a pain but there's a reason why the updates are released - XP hasn't been updated in nearly a year and a half now and is not secure to use on the internet.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    If you're running XP you really should be upgrading. OS updates can be a pain but there's a reason why the updates are released - XP hasn't been updated in nearly a year and a half now and is not secure to use on the internet.

computer probably wont take anything else now as its over 10 years old and im not arsed. i ll let you know when my xp world implodes. im sure it ll make the news

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

computer probably wont take anything else now as its over 10 years old and im not arsed. i ll let you know when my xp world implodes. im sure it ll make the news

Installed on my 13 year old Acer laptop and its flying :)

XP is like swiss cheese in terms of security.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Tusky wrote: »
    I have Windows 8.1 - can I still avail of Windows 10 free?

Yes you can, its free for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 users.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭degsie

let us know what its like? thanks

All running smooth so far, no issues as yet.

Installed on my 13 year old Acer laptop and its flying :)

XP is like swiss cheese in terms of security.

Nate

mmmm num num num num yummy swiss cheese

xp or 10 on your machine?

• Advertisement

Just got home and nothing for me yet? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

any ways of getting windows 10 using only a windows 8 product key? on mac and dont really want to go through the hassle of reinstalling windows and then upgrading etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Just a post to warn users of an offer Harvey Norman have running and probably other stores too.
    They are offering to install windows 10 on a laptop with windows 8.1 etc for a fee. They are obviously targeting people who are less tech savvy.
    Just in case anyone doesn't know by now that you can avail of it for free if you have windows 7 upwards.

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Just a post to warn users of an offer Harvey Norman have running and probably other stores too.
    They are offering to install windows 10 on a laptop with windows 8.1 etc for a fee. They are obviously targeting people who are less tech savvy.
    Just in case anyone doesn't know by now that you can avail of it for free if you have windows 7 upwards.

They also charge people for turning on their laptop , what's your point? It's a money making scheme but even if you're not tech savvy you'd still hopefully have a slight clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

EoghanIRL wrote: »

F*cking predators.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

I know it'll vary from machine to machine, but it does it take long to download and install?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I know it'll vary from machine to machine, but it does it take long to download and install?

Took me a total of around 45 mins, although my broadband is very fast. It was a 2.6GB download for me. Installation went perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Is there an option to do a clean install with this and format the drive
    My laptop could do with a severe cleansing.All I need to backup are photos and music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sean_b97

is windows 10 good on a non-touchscreen laptop w7?

Advertisement