Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well the story and dialogue does nothing to alleviate my worries that they will be bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Yeah, it looks amazing and I really like the look of the gameplay but the acting and story seem like garbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Seems like the same acting and bad dialogue from The 100, which grew on me after a while. I'm looking forward to it, even if it has a bad story.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Looks good too me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I would gladly take a story line like something from "Fair City" if the gameplay is anything like the videos I have seen for it.....game is stunning.

I have not been waiting for a game so much since the current GTA

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm going to keep my hype in check considering I don't think Guerrilla games have made a good game yet.

Yeah deffo, there are studios a hell of alot better then Guerrilla making absolute trash games and marketing them as AAA titles......I really do hope this comes good. But I would be very very hard pushed to by a game on launch again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Have to say the latest trailer looks like a step back to me. Nothing new there I suppose. They always show a more accurate version closer to launch. The lip sync animation looks last gen too.

I'll still buy it but it doesn't look like it'll live up to all the hype it's been getting to me anyway.

I think this one is going to come down to how well it plays.

Another big worry is the framerate on a normal PS4. This is probably going to be optimised for PS4 Pro so I'm hoping it's not a disaster like the Last Guardian performance on the base unit.

• Advertisement

Yeah that would be a killer if it did not perform for the standard unit, Sony would want to kop the **** on. Giving the okay for a "PS4 exclusive game" that does not run at the 60fps or whatever the minimum is on the base unit if it is the case. Its a pure kick in the bollocks to all the people who bought the machine. Hopefully its just propaganda hype in an effort to get people to buy an new PS4 Pro unit and it runs fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't think anything has been said about how well it performs on a standard PS4 yet so I think it's a bit early to be worrying about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I am absolutely not worried about the game's performance. This is Guerrilla we are talking about. None of their games have been anything other than exemplary, from a technical standpoint (narrative and game-play standpoints notwithstanding).

Otacon wrote: »
    I am absolutely not worried about the game's performance. This is Guerrilla we are talking about. None of their games have been anything other than exemplary, from a technical standpoint (narrative and game-play standpoints notwithstanding).

True but then they have made sacrifices before. Killzone 2 was a bit shaky and the deferred rendering engine made control really laggy. We'll see, they do have excellent tech people working for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Killzone 4 looked pretty, but was boring an a slog to get through.. will not hold out too much hope for this..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Kinda Tomb Raider with a more rpg feel off this after watching the Kinda Funny demo. Looks a ton of fun to play too.
    I just can't justify buying it at launch as I plan on getting a Switch with Zelda a few days later. Then there is Andromeda....f*ck you March

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭Doge

And this gameplay video was confirmed to be running on a standard PS4 in the comments by PlayStation Access!

Extremely hyped for this now, amazing depth already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Brandon Jones of Easy Allies talks about the game for 15 mins, he played it for 4 hours at some event this week.

It's gone gold! :D

Here's a pic of the Guerilla crew celebrating:

2P41fzO.jpg

Kind of glad I didn't pre-order the collectors edition now.
    Looks like the quality of Aloys face has degraded and looks more dummy like, far too pale:

And I don't think it's just the lighting either it looked far more detailed in this video from July:

The art book is a bit tiny also!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Grandslammer

Guys we need to start a campaign to prevent video games in Ireland from being released on the same date as the UK (which is usually the last to release). We should be on the European release schedule as we ARE NOT PART OF THE UK!!!.

HZD is releasing on the 3rd March in the UK & Ireland and on the 1st March in Europe. The same thing has happened with loads of other games in the past and it needs to stop affecting us in Ireland. There were reports that the game's UK release had been brought forward to the 1st in December, but had been put back to the 3rd again in January.

We need to find a way to make our voices heard about the fact that we are part of Europe and not the UK!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Guys we need to start a campaign to prevent video games in Ireland from being released on the same date as the UK (which is usually the last to release). We should be on the European release schedule as we ARE NOT PART OF THE UK!!!.

HZD is releasing on the 3rd March in the UK & Ireland and on the 1st March in Europe. The same thing has happened with loads of other games in the past and it needs to stop affecting us in Ireland. There were reports that the game's UK release had been brought forward to the 1st in December, but had been put back to the 3rd again in January.

We need to find a way to make our voices heard about the fact that we are part of Europe and not the UK!!

It is releasing 1st march in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Man, if this is your biggest concern then you have little to be worried about.

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Im looking at the Easy Allies Preview and it looks a bit like Far Cry. Taking over bases climbing towers (although they are massive creatures) Anyway im not to hot on another Far Cry I got bored of Far Cry 4 and I didnt bother with Primal. We will see on release I guess.

Heres a link to the vid:

The worst thing this game could suffer from is repitition, just like most combat RPG's like Far Cry and the likes. I tend to lose interest in them also. But the beuatiful world to explore should be a good motivator to keep with it. Also having to fight humans from other tribes adds a bit more diversity.

From all the gameplay seen so far looks like the gameplay is pretty solid.

I just hope it builds to something climactic like the end of Half Life 2 as an example, far too many games are a bit flat in that regard. Borderlands comes to mind, havent played the sequels.

Yeah alot of the stuff is deffo ripped from FC:Primal, even the map with the creatures and the harvesting of wood for arrows etc.....hopefully there is enough to keep us interested while farming like mad.

Still in 2 minds if I will get it on release day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,898 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Looks like a lovely idea crammed into the typical Ubisoft open world system. Hopefully it's great though.

Street date has been broken so copies are in the wild. Be careful of spoilers. .. although doubt this game's story is anything to write home about

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh my God, I was wrong!
    It was Earth all along!
    So you've finally made a monkey...
    (Yes we've finally made a monkey)
    Yes you've finally made a monkey out of meeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    I love you Dr Zaius!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Sure amazon and Gamestop both say release on the 1st March?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

ahh cmon sure it's only 2days between them lol

if it was 6months or a year I think it would be a problem and we could start something but 1-2 days lol

back in the ps1 days there was regularly 6months between USA and Ireland releases were really lucky nowadays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'm looking forward to playing this game but it's way too close to the Zelda/Switch launch for me to justify shelling out for a day 1 purchase.

I've not looked at a lot of articles/ trailers other than those shown at E3 over the last couple of years but it looks very interesting.

Still very much hyped for the game based on the limited gameplay I've seen but it'll be a bit of a wait until I pick it up.

These first world problems man.... ;)

I can't wait too play this :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Leaked review:

https://abload.de/img/ertjejerketketkrlfku41.jpg

And it's a big thumbs up.

Looks like the embargo is lifted tomorrow, it's always a very good sign when developers let reviews go up early.

Cina wrote: »
    Leaked review:

https://abload.de/img/ertjejerketketkrlfku41.jpg

And it's a big thumbs up.

Looks like the embargo is lifted tomorrow, it's always a very good sign when developers let reviews go up early.

Was just gonna post that, you beat me too it!

Lovely stuff gonna try and wrangle this out of the missus for early FATHERS DAY or WORLD STRESS FREE DAY or GET ME A NEW GAME FOR THE SAKE OF IT DAY.

Super stoked for this, gonna stick it on the highest difficulty and troll every side mission before I get stuck into the game. Might even you tube my play for others to get a butchers at.

Have to make this last......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Sony just keeps on pumping them out this year (providing it is as good as that review suggests).

Too quick for me to keep up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Anyone know what amazon deliver times are like for pre-order? I'm not pushed about release day just would like to have it before the weekend and not have to chase down a copy in a store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Anyone know what amazon deliver times are like for pre-order? I'm not pushed about release day just would like to have it before the weekend and not have to chase down a copy in a store.

Depends who the deliverer is.

Asendia: You'd be lucky to ever see it.

Anyone else: Pretty much what the website says.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

The writing seems terrible, painfully bad Bombshell tier one liners and "jokes" spewed constantly destroying the atmosphere of the game

Hopefully the tremendous game-play papers over the little flaws.

I'm worried about the gameplay as well considering it came from the Killzone guys and features Ubisoft towers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Zero interest in this, even if the reviews are positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

RasTa wrote: »
    Zero interest in this, even if the reviews are positive.

Did you just comment on a topic, stating you have no interest in the topic? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Did you just comment on a topic, stating you have no interest in the topic? :D

I guess I did. I did see an ad for this on TV today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Embargo is up this morning & it seems to be getting positive reviews. One I'm definitely picking up later in the year as I'm buying a switch.
    Slowly the PS4 is starting to get some decent exclusives with this, Yakuza 0, Nioh & Persona 5 due soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

ERG89 wrote: »
    Embargo is up this morning & it seems to be getting positive reviews. One I'm definitely picking up later in the year as I'm buying a switch.
    Slowly the PS4 is starting to get some decent exclusives with this, Yakuza 0, Nioh & Persona 5 due soon.

I'd say ps4 already has decent exclusives IMO

bloodborne, uncharted 4, until dawn, last gaurdian

I wouldn't say it's getting mostly positive reviews other than from sites you should ignore and give every triple A game a good write up. Eurogamer are painting it as another generic open world game and usgamer who sang the game's praises gave it 2.5 out of 5 citing generic open world game play bad story and boring protagonist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Lifted these from Reddit Review Thread
    Ars Technica - Approved
    Horizon is huge in every way that counts, and it should be celebrated for doing what too many games don't these days: telling an enthralling, time-consuming journey that's already complete on the disc—and one we'll remember for years to come.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4.5/5
    Horizon: Zero Dawn has been a long time coming, but it is finally here and it does not disappoint at all. Featuring a likeable new protagonist in Aloy alongside a compelling story, the game will keep you invested, whether through the main story or even the countless side quests that add more lore to this intriguing world. Complete with a deep combat system and stunning visuals, Guerrilla Games has already raised the bar for exclusives this year with Horizon: Zero Dawn.

CG Magazine - 8.5/10
    Horizon Zero Dawn isn’t out to break the mould, but at the end of the day that doesn’t matter. Guerilla has made a sprawling, gorgeous, tight gameplay experience that anyone with a PlayStation should pick up.

Destructoid - 7.5/10
    Horizon Zero Dawn is a fascinating premise wrapped in a tortilla of tropes. It has detective vision, radio towers, skill trees, masked load screens (Tony Hawk's American Wasteland gets no credit for popularizing this in 2005, by the way), and a world map littered with billions of points of interest -- all stuff you've seen before. But after you set up and execute a cunning plan to decimate a pack of giant robot crocodiles and that smile hits your face, it's more excusable.

Easy Allies - 4.5/5
    Horizon Zero Dawn feels like a franchise in the making. While not packed with narrative high points, it’s still a compelling introduction to a world in turmoil that answers a lot of questions, but still gestures toward a more climactic future. Its primary element, squaring off against mechanized animals, is such a success, it makes up for the ongoing repetition of the game’s activities. When we look into Horizon’s future, we see a sequel that can take this world and make it into something remarkable.

GameInformer - 8.8/10
    None of Horizon's faults stopped me from sinking 55 hours into the game, or walking away supremely satisfied with the experience. Horizon may not be a revolution for the open-world genre, but it is a highly polished and compelling adventure that proves Guerrilla is more than a single franchise.

GamesRadar+ - 4.5/5

Like a real ecosystem, Horizon: Zero Dawn is brilliantly balanced. Aloy feels like an inextricable part of it, halfway between prey and predator. Whether you’re climbing cliff-faces with a weightless, fluid joy, hunting, or travelling through the landscape, Horizon: Zero Dawn takes you on a tour of discovery. An endless sense of wonder and awe push you onward no matter what you’re doing. The more time I spend in Horizon: Zero Dawn’s world, the less I want to leave.

GameSpot - 9/10
    This is first departure from the Killzone series for developer Guerilla Games, and though you might think the team took a risk by stepping out of its FPS comfort zone to create a third-person open-world action game, you'd never know it was their first rodeo. For every minor imperfection, there's an element of greatness that recharges your desire to keep fighting and exploring Zero Dawn's beautiful and perilous world. Guerilla Games has delivered one of the best open-world games of this generation, and redefined its team's reputation in the process.

Giant Bomb - 5/5
    Horizon: Zero Dawn is familiar but also really refreshing. It's not a short game (I spent around 30 hours with it), but the storytelling still feels concise and efficient. The combat has some nice options that make encounters fun, even when you're just stacking up stealth kills from the relative safety of a bush. And the presentation end of the game holds up its end of things with a solid soundtrack, great voice acting, and a cohesive design that makes all its disparate parts fit together. All in all, it's a great game, it's Guerrilla's strongest release to date, and I suspect I'll go back in after the fact to clean up whatever side quests and errands I have remaining, if only to spend a little more time in that world.

God is a Geek - 9.5/10
    There’s so much to enjoy, and you’re never going to run out of cool stuff to do. The Carja AI is a little poor at times (if you see a dead body, making a song and dance about it!), and the GPS waypoint system can be misleading, but these are minor issues. This game is damn near perfect, and you’ll going to absolutely love it.

IGN - 9.3/10
    Across a vast and beautiful open world, Horizon: Zero Dawn juggles many moving parts with polish and finesse. Its main activity - combat - is extremely satisfying thanks to the varied design and behaviors of machine-creatures that roam its lands, each of which needs to be taken down with careful consideration. Though side questing could have been more imaginative, its missions are compelling thanks to a central mystery that led me down a deep rabbit hole to a genuinely surprising - and moving - conclusion.

Jim Sterling - 9.5/10
    Horizon: Zero Dawn is just brilliant. I speak as a critic who has played more “open sandbox” games than any one human should and has grown so very weary of them. I should have gotten sick of this thing in an hour, but I’ve been glued to it for days and days and I don’t want it to end. I love existing in this world – a world of desperate survival but of growing culture and a sense of hope. A world of giant metal animals that promise some breathtaking fights.

Polygon - 9.5/10
    Those duller moments are a footnote, however, and they did little to slow down the game's momentum and my interest in it. Horizon Zero Dawn thrums with the energy of a creative team finally allowed to explore something new. It builds on elements of open-world and loot-and-craft gameplay that we've seen before, but it does so within a context, a setting and a style that feel fresh. Horizon Zero Dawn discovers a stronger sense of its own personality in one game than Killzone ever managed across half a dozen. Guerrilla Games has long been developing some of the most buzzed-about games in the industry; with Horizon, it feels like it has finally found its own voice, one worthy of all that buzz.

TheSixthAxis - 8/10
    Horizon: Zero Dawn is a bit of a slow burn, but there’s more to Guerrilla Games’ latest than just its staggeringly pretty graphics. The story surprises as it takes several twists and turns and explores the past, but the games beating heart is with its excellently tense and engaging robotic monster hunting.

Twinfinite - 5/5
    Horizon Zero Dawn is a treat to every PS4 owner. Its magical world is a wonder to explore, it controls and looks exceptional, and the unique, modular build of its enemies ensures that combat never gets old. Yes, items could have been more accessible, and I was left with more questions than answers by the end, but these were mere speed bumps in the bigger picture. Horizon Zero Dawn is the PS4’s first major exclusive of 2017, and it couldn’t have gotten much better.

US Gamer - 2.5/5
    Horizon Zero Dawn is disappointing. It has a story that I struggled to care about (complete with massive expository dumps—yay), a bland protagonist, and overtly repetitive and constraining missions that worked against its open world sensibilities. When Horizon Zero Dawn hit its rare strides—from its gloomy Cauldrons to traveling across its sprawling vistas—it only made me wish the rest of the game were as worthwhile.

I think I'm sold anyway, will be picking up at launch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement