Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ramadan mubarak

Options
  • 17-06-2015 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭

Just wishing all Muslims Ramadan Mubarak

ramadan-mubarak-wishes.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Or, as they say in this neck of the woods, Ramadam Kareem.

Not quite sure what the difference is. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Or, as they say in this neck of the woods, Ramadam Kareem.

Not quite sure what the difference is. :o

From Yahoo Answers

Ramadan Mubarak means Congratulations it's Ramadan...(basically) we say congrats because we are excited for this time and all the blessings it brings.

Ramadan Kareem means Generous Ramadan because it is a generous time, we get many blessings and we see all the things we are to be thankful for. We also give charity during Ramadan (and should all year long).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

From Yahoo Answers

Ramadan Mubarak means Congratulations it's Ramadan...(basically) we say congrats because we are excited for this time and all the blessings it brings.

Ramadan Kareem means Generous Ramadan because it is a generous time, we get many blessings and we see all the things we are to be thankful for. We also give charity during Ramadan (and should all year long).

Well personally I wouldn't be able to do it but best of luck to all involved..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Ramadam Kareem!! (told by the ladies in the office to use that instead of mubarak)

It's a little stricter this year for some reason. You can get imprisoned for drinking or eating in public or your car for 2 days up to 30 days (or the end of Ramadan).

Always a quieter time in the office and a deadlier time on the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Harder for those in this neck of the woods this year because it's earlier in the summer, longer days meaning longer fast.

People with certain conditions (like diabetes) can be excused from fasting if they talk with their local scholars or imam.

• Advertisement

GerB40 wrote: »
    Well personally I wouldn't be able to do it but best of luck to all involved..

And remember, here in the Middle East, there is a relatively even balance between night and day at this time of year. Sunrise this morning was at 4:45 and sunset is at 6:30pm.

Give some thought to those observing Ramadan in the likes of Ireland/UK who have to be up before dawn (what time is that now - 4:30am?) and cannot eat until after dusk (again - what, 10:00pm?). I really admire their tenacity.

And remember, here in the Middle East, there is a relatively even balance between night and day at this time of year. Sunrise this morning was at 4:45 and sunset is at 6:30pm.

Give some thought to those observing Ramadan in the likes of Ireland/UK who have to be up before dawn (what time is that now - 4:30am?) and cannot eat until after dusk (again - what, 10:00pm?). I really admire their tenacity.

I asked about this in the forum here and confusedquark advised that fasting starts at the Fajr prayer which is around 02:45 in Ireland during Ramadan, though not sure whether it is before or after Fajr prayer, but I am assuming before as eat, pray and start fast sounds more logical. Sunrise throughout the whole of the holy month of Ramadan is just before 05:00. Sunset is around 22:00, so that means a fast of 19 hours :eek::eek:

Although I am nor Muslim I was thinking of trying the fasting for the experience. I am up each day at 04:15 and thought I would have breakfast before "Sunrise" and then fast until 22:00 and eat just before heading to bed. But getting up at 02:15 to eat and drink water and then try to get back to sleep to get up again at 04:15, I don't think I would be able to do that. Although the 19 hours without food or water I imagine would be tough I think the times you have to eat, between 22:00 and 02:45 is what would make it most difficult. And with less sleep due to interrupted sleep, I would be like a maniac for the month :o:o

I asked about this in the forum here and confusedquark advised that fasting starts at the Fajr prayer which is around 02:45 in Ireland during Ramadan, though not sure whether it is before or after Fajr prayer, but I am assuming before as eat, pray and start fast sounds more logical. Sunrise throughout the whole of the holy month of Ramadan is just before 05:00. Sunset is around 22:00, so that means a fast of 19 hours :eek::eek:

Although I am nor Muslim I was thinking of trying the fasting for the experience. I am up each day at 04:15 and thought I would have breakfast before "Sunrise" and then fast until 22:00 and eat just before heading to bed. But getting up at 02:15 to eat and drink water and then try to get back to sleep to get up again at 04:15, I don't think I would be able to do that. Although the 19 hours without food or water I imagine would be tough I think the times you have to eat, between 22:00 and 02:45 is what would make it most difficult. And with less sleep due to interrupted sleep, I would be like a maniac for the month :o:o

Imagine being in some Nordic countries :eek:

There's a young lady in the office 6 months pregnant, exempt from fasting but is doing it anyway. It's my seventh Ramadan here but my OH's first. She has to review her attire before going to work today, no more t shirts.

Jude13 wrote: »
    Imagine being in some Nordic countries :eek:

There's a young lady in the office 6 months pregnant, exempt from fasting but is doing it anyway. It's my seventh Ramadan here but my OH's first. She has to review her attire before going to work today, no more t shirts.

6 months pregnant and still choosing to fast? Someone needs to advise her better.

• Advertisement

6 months pregnant and still choosing to fast? Someone needs to advise her better.

I fully agree.

And it's very important to remember - nobody would give it a second thought if she abstained from fasting, that I can say with 100% certainty.

I know, I don't feel in a position to say anything. 1. Im not a doctor 2. I'm not muslim 3. She is crazy pregnant lady

I don't feel in a position to say anything.

You just have:
    She is crazy pregnant lady

:pac:

Ha I know, even if I was Muslim and a doctor I wouldn't. Prior to her pregnancy we were afraid to change the AC settings as she would eat us.

I fly on the 16th July for a holiday, I think that may be the end of Ramadan.

Ahh I just checked the Etihad lounge will be dry on the 16 July :(

I know, I don't feel in a position to say anything. 1. Im not a doctor 2. I'm not muslim 3. She is crazy pregnant lady

Yeah sorry, didn't mean you advise her!

No worries, I didn't mean it as a retort

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Ramadan Mubarak to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

So i dont know much about ramadan. can someone give bit more info on it. i undrstand the not eating and also doing good deeds but what else is there. can smokers smoke? Whats said about it in religious texts? what do muslims think of it in general? would many not partake?
    Do all types of muslims acknowlege it? if i said i was sitting here with a dairy milk and a glass of wine would u be jealous?

interesting to know its actually from sunrise to sunset. always assumed that meant 6 to 6 and not actually sun up/down.

I can only give a non-Muslim perspective.
    Old Perry wrote: »
    can smokers smoke?

No, smoking is forbidden, as is chewing gum and sexual activity.
    would many not partake?

It is up to the individual, and I have only recently learned that if, for whatever reason, a person does not fast on day X (or a number of days), that person can "make it up" at a later date. Case in point - a good friend of mine was fasting last Monday and Tuesday, so I asked why as Ramadan had not started. He replied that he had to "make up the days". I never got to explore that further with him, I must ask him next time I see him.

Also, there are special exemptions for example pregnant women.
    Do all types of muslims acknowlege it? if i said i was sitting here with a dairy milk and a glass of wine would u be jealous?

No, not all Muslims acknowledge it. I recall last year, going for a swim at a private club during Ramadan. I went inside to grab some breakfast, this was probably about 10:00am, and I was shocked to see a few of the locals in there not only eating, but having a beer!

So I think it is no different to our own culture - some people are devout, some people are not, lots of contradictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Just two random questions.

My barber is Muslim and he gave me a hair product as a present for Christmas. We get on pretty well and I was wondering would it be appropriate to give a small gift at the end of Ramadan, maybe a cake or something like that.

Also yeterday I wished him a blessed ramadam, I presume that was an acceptable wish

Thanks

Here we give dates as presents at Eid. I did however get our PRO some aftershave as he had helped me out with a car issue.

Limerick91 wrote: »
    Just two random questions.

My barber is Muslim and he gave me a hair product as a present for Christmas. We get on pretty well and I was wondering would it be appropriate to give a small gift at the end of Ramadan, maybe a cake or something like that.

I would say most certainly. On the first day of Eid, which is when Ramadan ends.
    Limerick91 wrote: »
    Also yeterday I wished him a blessed ramadam, I presume that was an acceptable wish

Absolutely. I think he would appreciate the sentiment, no matter how it is phrased.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

apparently crime goes up during Ramadan, people tend to get extra cranky they have even noticed the effect in some British cities.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    apparently crime goes up during Ramadan, people tend to get extra cranky they have even noticed the effect in some British cities.

I would be intrigued for any reputable sources you have on this.

I would in fact suggest that the opposite is true, as people are tired and hungry and more interested in spending time with family.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I would be intrigued for any reputable sources you have on this.

I would in fact suggest that the opposite is true, as people are tired and hungry and more interested in spending time with family.

reliable or hyped I dont know seems reasonable to believe people could act oddly if they are not watered or fed

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2014/07/07/ramadan-rage-how-crime-increases-during-the-muslim-holy-month/
    Short-temperedness doesn’t just affect abstainers during the first few days of self-denial; rather, irritability increases continuously throughout the month, leading to shorter and shorter fuses as Eid al-Fitr, the blow-out party to mark the end of the fast, approaches. It is perhaps no surprise then that antisocial behaviour and domestic abuse surge throughout the Muslim world in the Holy Month.

One of the most expansive studies of this annual crime wave in Algeria revealed petty crime increased by a staggering 220 percent during Ramadan. Fights, disputes and assaults rose by 320 percent and instances of women and children being beaten at home increased by 120 percent. In addition, there was a 410 percent increase in accidents of various kinds and an 80 percent increase in deaths.

The findings of the Algerian study are widely corroborated. From Egypt to Indonesia, recorded violent crime increases by incredible percentages throughout the fast. In addition, Ramadan exacerbates other social problems and spawns specific crimes all its own: offenses not generally seen at other times of the year. Child traffickers in Yemen, for example, take advantage of the increase in food prices to purchase children from poor parents.

Non-Muslims are targeted for not observing the fast; church burnings are a given during Ramadan. But it’s not just religious minorities in Muslim countries who are attacked: it happens here, too. In 2010, a man was brutally beaten in Tower Hamlets by a gang of young Muslim men for not observing Ramadan. He was battered unconscious and left with serious injuries. No one was charged over the incident, leading to accusations that the police suppressed evidence because they feared being accused of “racism” or “islamophobia.”

In Muslim countries, governments prepare for Ramadan by boosting police patrols and carrying out public awareness campaigns about crime and the increase in accidents that is also a regular fixture of the fast. Of course, the emergency services in the U.K., hamstrung by political correctness, are more reticent to publicly acknowledge the challenges posed by Ramadan.

That’s not to say there aren’t figures available, if you dig for them: a study by the Accident and Emergency Department of St Mary’s Hospital, London in 1994 revealed a significant rise in the number of Muslims attending accident and emergency in Ramadan. This increase in road traffic accidents and other sorts of unfortunate incidents is hardly surprising, given that sustained fasting dramatically affects cognitive function.

The rigours of fasting are particularly difficult for British Muslims, who have to endure longer periods without food and water than those closer to the equator. It’s even worse for Muslims in Scandinavia: there are parts of northern Norway where the sun never sets in summer.

The NHS, of course, makes no mention of all this in their official Ramadan guidance, though it does warn that people on peritoneal dialysis shouldn’t fast but “should perform fidyah,” a religious donation to the poor, instead. The guidance says that while withholding food and water for 19 hours to children under the age of seven or eight isn’t “advisable,” it can be “tolerated differently, depending on the attitude of the parents.”

British police, too, are notorious for their “soft-touch” approach to policing Ramadan. The Greater Manchester Police in England have been widely criticised over the last decade for giving lip service to the problem of drunk and drugged-up Muslim gangs, who have for years descended on the Eid al-Fitr celebrations in Rusholme each year, racing their cars up and down the High Street.

Every year, the police force requests that “anyone wishing to bring or cause problems” should stay away; every year, ugly scenes return to the city. In 2012, a Muslim man taking part in the celebrations used his car as a weapon in an attempted murder.

The Manchester force’s reluctance to take a firm stance on Eid celebrations shouldn’t surprise us: they once even ordered officers not to arrest Muslims at prayer times during Ramadan, a concession not awarded to any other religion and one that was later rescinded after sustained public outrage about how blatantly the force was awarding special treatment to one faith.

Only in Bradford, England have the police admitted that the Holy Month produces an increase in crime. They have been advised by local community leaders that the increase is probably down to youths “taking advantage of the fact their parents could be occupied with observing Ramadan.”

But that doesn’t tell the whole story, because it’s grown-ups too. Last week, Asian Image, a newspaper that bills itself as “the voice of the British Asian” painted a vivid word picture of verbally abusive parents, road rage, angry smokers, zombified fasters and domestic abuse around last year’s holy festivities.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    reliable or hyped I dont know seems reasonable to believe people could act oddly if they are not watered or fed

Absolutely, so what they do is pretty much stop doing anything.

Another interesting fact at this time of year is that the economy pretty much shuts down. There is little traffic on the roads, all establishments that serve food are closed and there are reduced working hours. I'm home by 3:00pm every day. :)

So yes, people get noticeably irritated towards the end of the day, but I think that piece you quote above is somewhat hyperbolic and relies more on hearsay than fact.

Here we give dates as presents at Eid. I did however get our PRO some aftershave as he had helped me out with a car issue.

From what I have read folks observing the holy month of Ramadan break their fast each evening with dates and water, then pray the Maghrib prayer and then eat a proper meal. So would they not be sick of the sight of dates at the end of Ramadan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

Being sick of dates is a thing?

That said, we tend to break our fast with one or two dates - I've seen some people wolfing down fistfuls at iftar.
    I'd imagine it could get old after a while if you were eating so many.

• Advertisement

I know I would be sick of dates after 40 days. :D

They are exceptionally sweet.

Advertisement