Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick hen

Options
  • 15-06-2015 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

I have a hen who seems to be a bit under the weather. She mopes around, tends to isolaate herself from the others and i think I heard her sneezing/coughing. Do people have experience of this? What can I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Normally I'd think "broody", but the coughing and sneezing is worrying. Could you isolate her and keep an eye on her, and if she's definitely coughing and sneezing bring her to the vet?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭mallards

Sounds like gapes. Could probably do with worming it and the flock. Then move to new ground or keep worming them as they pick it up from the droppings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

mallards wrote: »
    Sounds like gapes. Could probably do with worming it and the flock. Then move to new ground or keep worming them as they pick it up from the droppings.
    +1
    Dose the hen and the rest of the flock with a Fendendazole oral treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Base price wrote: »
    +1
    Dose the hen and the rest of the flock with a Fendendazole oral treatment.

Where do I get Fendendazole?

There is a product especially for chickens called Flubenvet. Not all co-ops stock it so you may have to look around.
    Alternatively you can use a dog & cat oral wormer called Parazole. It comes in a 100ml bottle and costs about €12. That is what we use here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭tattycat

What doze of Parasol do you give them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

The hen is sneezing and coughing. Worming wont fix that!?!?!

OP how is she today? Are her nares (nostrils) clear? Can you hear her breathing (rattling)? How are her eyes - clear/bright?

Are her comb/wattles pale or overly red/purple?

If she is isolating herself, its a sign that she is feeling unwell - is she eating and drinking?

If she is coughing/sneezing, you would do better to isolate her from the others (though probably too late for that now) - leave her in a box seperately, with water/food nearby.

If she is not coughing/sneezing, feel her crop - is it empty? Is it swollen/squashy?

Is she laying? Could she be egg bound?

How many hens do you have - are they laying?

Just fyi:
    Flubenvet is the recommended/best wormer for hens. Check out the hens droppings and see if there is any evidence of worms - just because you dont see worms doesnt mean they dont have them though.

If its gape worm, the hen will open its mouth like its "yawning"

aonb wrote: »
    The hen is sneezing and coughing. Worming wont fix that!?!?!

OP how is she today? Are her nares (nostrils) clear? Can you hear her breathing (rattling)? How are her eyes - clear/bright?

Are her comb/wattles pale or overly red/purple?

If she is isolating herself, its a sign that she is feeling unwell - is she eating and drinking?

If she is coughing/sneezing, you would do better to isolate her from the others (though probably too late for that now) - leave her in a box seperately, with water/food nearby.

If she is not coughing/sneezing, feel her crop - is it empty? Is it swollen/squashy?

Is she laying? Could she be egg bound?

How many hens do you have - are they laying?

Just fyi:
    Flubenvet is the recommended/best wormer for hens. Check out the hens droppings and see if there is any evidence of worms - just because you dont see worms doesnt mean they dont have them though.

If its gape worm, the hen will open its mouth like its "yawning"

Brought hen to vet yesterday. Upper respiratory infection. Two injections and some antibiotics to be given orally for next four days. Hen improved somewhat today. Showing more interest in food......... All looking good :)

good stuff! well done! lucky to have a vet that knows poultry. Just out of curiosity, how much did the visit/meds cost?!?!?

aonb wrote: »
    good stuff! well done! lucky to have a vet that knows poultry. Just out of curiosity, how much did the visit/meds cost?!?!?

€15. I must admit I was expecting a bill of €50 at least!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Where in the country are you Gorteen? Vets I work for aren't poultry minded and I'd like to know where to send clients if asked.

Where in the country are you Gorteen? Vets I work for aren't poultry minded and I'd like to know where to send clients if asked.

Longford

EXCELLENT price! Lucky you. Hope the hen recovers now that shes doubled her value, and gives you eggs for many years :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Gorteen wrote: »
    Longford

Thanks, it's a bit far away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭tattycat

Hiya. What vet in Longford?

Pat McGrath in Ballymahon

Hows the hen?!

I had a pretty sick hen last week - she is the "top hen" in my little flock. Thought she was on her way out; sunken head, away from the others, not eating, tail down etc .... massaged her crop and WHOOSH! - Green gunk SPURTED out of her - couldnt believe I hadnt checked her for sour crop - in fairness her crop didnt look 'bloated' squashy. So upended her a few times, getting rid of as much gunk as possible - did this a few times a day for 2 days - 2nd day there was very little. Gave her a little bowl of natural probiotic yogurt on 2nd day a couple times. Took her away from the others so she got her share - they are like vultures for natural yogurt! Full and immediate recovery :) so just thought I'd pass this on in case there are any new hen keepers out there who might not know/think about sour crop when looking at a sick hen

Spurted out of, er, where?

Spurted out of, er, where?

:D out of her beak!
    The crop is where her food goes to be "processed" - sometimes the crop can be "sour" and stagnates. If you look at a hen who has sour crop (symptoms: sunken head, sick, listless, on her own, not eating, tail down - all generic symptoms for a sick hen) she may have a bulging squishy-feeling crop (in front of her chest). If the gunk isnt emptied out of her crop, she will die. Pick her up gently, wings to her side, tuck her under your arm. Wear wellies!! And gently massage her crop while tipping her upside down. Dont do this for more than a few seconds at a time cos she cant breathe. Gunk will fly - like watery green vomit!!! Massage and tip a few times until no more comes out. A little bowl of plain probiotic yogurt will help to rebalance the healthy flora in the crop. (I give my hens a bowl of yogurt regularly - great fun seeing them with white combs/beaks/faces/yogurt everywhere!!)

Very handy - I knew about crop problems, but my hens never had them, possibly because I always kept a bowl of large grit - small stones - handy for them. Or possibly just luck.

• Advertisement

@ aonb - I heard that about natural yoghurt before. Often given it to calves with a scour.
    Long stemmy grass normally causes impacted/sour crop.

probiotic yoghurt replaces "good bacteria" in the intestines - its also given to horses/foals with stomach ulcers.... handy stuff!

Advertisement