Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build. Really doing it this time.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

make sure the monitors are both set to have the same settings in terms of contrast and brightness and any other 'picture modes'.

Also in your gpu drivers make sure vibrance or any other settings in the software are set to default, if you haven't changed them yourself then they should still be at default but just in case someone did it.

Are they identical monitors? even high end panels will have slight differences to each other and will be noticeable but if its a big difference it's probably just your settings are different for one of them

you should try plug them both into the gpu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

What ports does your GPU have?

Can you not output to both monitors from just the graphics card? For example, one monitor HDMI and second monitor DVI?

Is that possible? If it is would it not treat the two outputs seperately thereby preventing a single extended desktop?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

mordeith wrote: »
    Is that possible? If it is would it not treat the two outputs seperately thereby preventing a single extended desktop?
    Yes.

Most graphics cards now support dual display. Windows then gives you the option to either mirror the display or extend the display utilising both monitors as separate displays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

You'll need to calibrate windows to the displays. Not sure how you go about it on multiple monitors, but there's an option in the displays control panel for calibration.

The MB display output will never be quite as good as the GPU because Intel's drivers will always be rubbish. You should be able to get them pretty close though.

I need a quality output. Maybe I should use the DVI and HDMI ports on the GPU then?

or, maybe I can upgrade the GPU to one that has 2+ HDMI ports?

What GPU do you have?

• Advertisement

I originally had the Monitors on the VGA and HDMI of the GPU. That worked ok, aside from the quality of the vga.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

goz83 wrote: »
    I need a quality output. Maybe I should use the DVI and HDMI ports on the GPU then?

or, maybe I can upgrade the GPU to one that has 2+ HDMI ports?
    Absolutely,

The DVI port will be perfect.

Any recommendations on MS office? No luck with reddit link

buy it at full retail price or try get a key from someone else on the reddit software swap

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Which reddit user were you buying from? I got my windows 8.1 pro key within 20 minutes from this guy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/comments/387eir/h_windows_81_8_7_server_project_visio_office/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

office 365? €10 a month and you get 1TB of space and can install it on a few machines and can auto backup phone photos

Ant695 wrote: »
    Which reddit user were you buying from? I got my windows 8.1 pro key within 20 minutes from this guy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/comments/387eir/h_windows_81_8_7_server_project_visio_office/

I mailed that guy just now. Hopefully will get a quick reply.

So I got a reply. I said i would pay by paypal. The guy said paypal linked to a card isn't safe :confused: and asked for skrill instead to be set up. So i set up skrill and now i'm told that office is out of stock and he will let me know when he has it in stock. :rolleyes:

Im just not having any luck there.

So I got a reply. I said i would pay by paypal. The guy said paypal linked to a card isn't safe :confused: and asked for skrill instead to be set up. So i set up skrill and now i'm told that office is out of stock and he will let me know when he has it in stock. :rolleyes:

Im just not having any luck there.

**** that sucks. It's weird because I had no problem using paypal at all with him. I just sent a message saying what I wanted and would pay by paypal got a message back with his paypal address.

Hope you get this sorted soon.

**** that sucks. It's weird because I had no problem using paypal at all with him. I just sent a message saying what I wanted and would pay by paypal got a message back with his paypal address.

Hope you get this sorted soon.

Presumably someone opened up a paypal dispute and got their money back and now the guy doesn't want to take paypal. I messaged him and said i can only pay by paypal now, because skrill need to verify my card, which woukd take a couple of days. I messaged another couple of reddit users asking for office 13. Fingers crossed it gets sorted today.

So I finally have the new PC running (almost) as I want it. I have all the software on it, including MS office Pro 13 as of from this morning, courtesy of a reddit mod. I have windows 7 ultimate running with a windows 10 upgrade on the horizon. I have the OS on the 120gb drive (C). Other programs are being loaded onto the 250gb drive where possible (some things insist on going to drive C. I am using one of the 2TB blue drives for my work AND personal files. The Other 2TB blue drive is for the wife and the 2TB Red drive is for back up. My work drive and backup drive has restricted access. The one annoying thing is when I use the search function from the start menu, it doesn't search the other drives. It only searches C drive. I will look for a fix online.

I transferred files and folders using an external hard drive, which wasn't so bad at all.

The speed is such a blessing. It now takes about 5 seconds for my web design software to load, as opposed to about a minute before.

I have the monitors running off the GPU. 1 on the HDMI and one using a VGA to DVI cable. The displays are pretty much identical now.

I have some cable tidying to do and that's it. In time, I will add water cooling, just for the experience if for nothing else.

I reckon I will get another Backup drive, but I am out of data cables from the PSU. I assume I can just add a splitter anyway, especially considering the drive will rarely be connected. I may consider an external drive for this too.

I will upload a couple of pics when the comp is in its place, when the work space is built next week.

Thanks for all the help guys, especially DS, who was extra helpful. I will definitely build again.

Here is a sneak preview before the work area is built. Excuse my rather untidy cable management. I am a newbie after all. My old can be seen in the last pic, dwarfed by the monster I have created :eek:

IMG_1736.jpg

IMG_1737.jpg

IMG_1739.jpg

Looks good. Strange seeing a machine on here without a hulking great graphics card though. And cables at the back don't matter as long as you can get the side back on. Good job.

Cable management is better than mine :D

Looks good. Strange seeing a machine on here without a hulking great graphics card though. And cables at the back don't matter as long as you can get the side back on. Good job.

The HULK will come in later :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement