Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First human head transplant in 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I wish folks would stop calling it a head transplant. It'll be a body transplant, since they're keeping the head and discarding the original body.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

bnt wrote: »
    I wish folks would stop calling it a head transplant. It'll be a body transplant, since they're keeping the head and discarding the original body.

You're not considering the donor's point of view, are you?

catallus wrote: »
    No, and neither will the donor, since he will be dead! He will be as involved in the process as any other organ donor: ante-mortem only.

If you get a new kidney, you don't talk about a body transplant, since it's the kidney that's being transplanted, not the body.

Now replace "kidney" and "body" in that last sentence with "body" and "head" respectively. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

What puzzles me about all of this physical matter thing is that when you look deep down close into 'matter' and you look at the atoms/protons/electrons and neutrons and it gets to a case where matter falls apart and electrons vanish and appear in odd ways, can we really say that there is no other existence out there ? most folk look at the physical so-called solid body, but it's not solid when you break it down to the basics as said above. Do we really know ?.

I'll take my chances in the next life because I'm sure a lot of folk after spending so long on this planet will just want to forget it all and leave it behind. A life of work for painted printed paper.

Yep I agree, there's a few head-a-balls here for sure, including me. The glass is either half full or half empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Precisely. If someone wanted to use my body I think I'd be looking for some sort of agreement that I would get to use it every so often instead of the new head.

Now replace "kidney" and "body" in that last sentence with "body" and "head" respectively. :cool:

If I wanted puzzles I'd be in the puzzle forum! :mad:

Precisely. If someone wanted to use my body I think I'd be looking for some sort of agreement that I would get to use it every so often instead of the new head.

Well naturally, but think of all of the rights issues that would come up. It would like be literally opening a tin of worms. And then trying to put the worms back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Leif Johnson

你妈的接口即可加快看咯快来快来快来看偶看了看

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

That flick "The 6th Day" Arnold Schwarzenegger, when they die their full memory's are implanted into a clone of their body. That would be cool... A whole new meaning of... I'll be back.

• Advertisement

No, and neither will the donor, since he will be dead! He will be as involved in the process as any other organ donor: ante-mortem only.

But if my body was being controlled by a new head my body would know that the head was not mine so it would probably try to take control.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Leif Johnson

你妈的接口即可加快看咯快来快来快来看偶看了看

你妈的接口即可加快看咯快来快来快来看偶看了看

HUH ? translation...
    Your mother 's interface can accelerate slightly Come Come Come see even looked at

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

if i'm not me, then who the hell am i?

But if my body was being controlled by a new head my body would know that the head was not mine so it would probably try to take control.

Nope. Your body would comply to the neuron sparks telling it what to do.

Nope. Your body would comply to the neuron sparks telling it what to do.

There was a woman who got a heart transplant who subsequently developed a taste for pints of stout and driving fast. It turned out that the heart was from a biker who enjoyed his Guinness. Can you imagine the effect a full body would have?

You're kidding, right? Your body has no consciousness or awareness of anything at all, on its own. "You" as a person exist solely within your head. The person getting the transplant is pretty much only a head already, since his body is essentially dead weight at this point - which is why he's keen on replacing it with a working model! :pac:

You're kidding, right? Your body has no consciousness or awareness of anything at all, on its own. "You" as a person exist solely within your head...

Where does the head end and the body begin, then?

Is your neck part of your body? Or your head?

There was a woman who got a heart transplant who subsequently developed a taste for pints of stout and driving fast. It turned out that the heart was from a biker who enjoyed his Guinness. Can you imagine the effect a full body would have?

Yeah, I remember stories like that, it is an interesting topic to look into, there's something there for sure.

You're kidding, right? Your body has no consciousness or awareness of anything at all, on its own. "You" as a person exist solely within your head. The person getting the transplant is pretty much only a head already, since his body is essentially dead weight at this point - which is why he's keen on replacing it with a working model! :pac:

LOL Classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

This would be a massive breach of medical ethics in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Where does the head end and the body begin, then?

Is your neck part of your body? Or your head?

There's a great big organ in your head that kind of runs the show.

There's a great big organ in your head that kind of runs the show.

Ah yes, my tongue is legendary :p

But enough smut! This is serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I'd take a change, as long as they don't give me David Beckhams head, would like to have a few brain cells to work with
    Yeah, by that post I don't think you deserve David Beckham's head

Your body has no consciousness or awareness of anything at all, on its own.

That's silly. My head can't exist separate from my body and who says consciousness isn't a whole body thing? Apparently the bodies of some people who were guillotined got up and tried to put their heads back on so the body must have some sort of consciousness.

Crazy thinking... Stop thinking of life and external life as a matter scenario, when they both exist together but also separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Mmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

KungPao wrote: »
    Would jerking it be gay? It's someone elses ding dong after all.

Hmmm, sensitive disposition leave it unclicked

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2993555/World-s-PENIS-transplant-Man-21-organ-restored-amputated-botched-circumcision.html

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The man's a complete idiot and he should stay out of science and go back to medicine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭captainfrost

lmagine the horror of waking up with another persons head, thinking, ones mind will surely be in a state of madness. I doubt if this is possible.

Advertisement