Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you have your savings?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Mostly in a term deposit account, but I keep about 2 months wages in the current account for liquidity purposes.

Haven't been saving particularly long, and I'm fairly early on in my income cycle so the value of seeking higher returns at the moment would be somewhat diminished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Frynge wrote: »
    60k in the credit union, bout 10k in precious metals, just over 5k in prize bonds, some free hold commercial property and rental property, some mortgaged property, about 30k cash in varying currency's 58k in stocks and managed funds, 100k in EII, savings account around 20k and about 1,100 in my current account.

LOL bullsh1t, you were trying to sell an Opel corsa only a couple of years ago. You've nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

I'm saving every cent i can,so i can have the biggest party ever seen in Glasnevin cemetery

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

I save it in a credit union. I also put loose change in a jar which is counted periodically and lodged immediately into the C.U. I was thinking of buying a lot of prize bonds after seeing a thread about it, just never got around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Mostly shares through work. Some in a savings account in the bank, never stays in there too long!

• Advertisement

I've only recently started saving, having gotten my first "real" job in October. I don't make enough to save a whole lot right now so am just putting what I can into a savings account for the time being. I would be interested in investing some day in shares or bonds but it seems rather daunting; had a look at some stockbroker sites and the charges you need to pay just to have an account and the commission you need to pay before any sort of transaction were scary! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

if the fridge,, disguised as meat

Out of interest does it always convert into gains?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Well folks, to quote Futurama,"a bank is a place where people put money that isn't properly invested"

Where are your savings? Are you diversified? Have you the right risk balance?

I normally strive to have about 25% of my saving risk free, 35% low risk, 20% medium risk and 20% high(ish) risk.

One third in a Vanguard ETF which tracks the S&P 500, another which tracks the performance of the European Stock market as a whole, final third invested in the European Government bond market.

I save 5% of my salary each month and once every four months I buy shares into one of the above ETF's... at the end of the year I do a little selling and buying to rebalance the portfolio.

Very boring but apparently the best way of growing wealth in the long term according to "The Intelligent Investor" and "A Random Walk down Wall Street".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

I've only recently started saving, having gotten my first "real" job in October. I don't make enough to save a whole lot right now so am just putting what I can into a savings account for the time being. I would be interested in investing some day in shares or bonds but it seems rather daunting; had a look at some stockbroker sites and the charges you need to pay just to have an account and the commission you need to pay before any sort of transaction were scary! :o

I feel your pain buddy! I opened an account with Keytrade Belgium, they have a share dealing option if you have bank account, costs around 15 Euro per transaction but you only need to execute a transaction once every few months, can save money in the meantime. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

Lisha wrote: »
    Out of interest does it always convert into gains?

all kinds of gains...... all kinds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Have a look at www.degiro.ie, they just set up in Ireland. Only about €2.00 to execute trades. Definitely worth a look if you're like me, and just starting out trying to invest :).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

rabobank's fierce handy for investment funds at least

keytrade is good too i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Shares, one of those bank accounts that you have to give notice to withdraw but get high interest and pension plan...
    I dont want to be working until I am 65 so saving is important to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Mostly in State certificates and bonds. Some in a fixed term deposit account, more in a regular savings account. I have a couple of investment accounts that are performing badly but will pick up, as they are property linked and suffered over the past few years. A bit in a credit union as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭captainfrost

My savings switch position between my socks and my sponge case(in case am taking a bath). Never letting it outer my sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

bluewolf wrote: »
    rabobank's fierce handy for investment funds at least

keytrade is good too i think

Rabobank was handy but then Revenue clarified the guidance on the UCITS funds in the last few months and they've suddenly become a whole lot less appealing if they're IRL/EU based.

41% exit tax, taxable events occurring every 8 years and you can't offset losses in a single fund against other capital gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I invest weekly in aldi, for all other savings it's silver... I also invest lots in my children in the hope they'll pick a nice nursing home or at least pick a kill shot to put me down rather than a slow painful injury....

Advertisement