Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dusty Rhodes RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,083 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Remember that match too vs Macho King and Sherri. Dusty had Sapphire. I'm tearing up here on the luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Brian Elliott

I uploaded Jim Cornette's Fighting Spirit Magazine column on Dusty from June 2013:
    http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/art/columns/489/rip-dusty-rhodes-19452015

Ageyev wrote: »
    Really sad and a great loss to the younger workers he had been helping.

Earliest memory is the mixed tag from Wrestlemania 6 which I used to rent on VHS from the video shop. All participants in that match are gone now :(

Gonna give the American Dream The Dusty Rhodes Story DVD a spin tonight. Glad I didn't get rid of my DVDs since there's so much stuff not on the Network.

The doc part of the dvd is on the network for anyone looking to watch it.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just watching the starcade 85 main event and the story and the Psychology is Just unreal. The match isn't going at a 100mph but if you tell a story right the match doesn't need to be on x30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Great story about the guy here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Very saddened to hear this. I remember commenting a few months back, as many did, about how thin he looked, and wondering if he was okay.

His song said he was a common man but he was anything but. He had charisma that most guys would give their right arm for, and possessed one of the greatest minds in the business. A bona fide legend. A sad loss as he had plenty left to contribute.

RIP big man, and best wishes to Cody and Dustin and his other family members and friends.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

RIP Dusty. One of those people in Wresting that I loved hearing other people talk about. Every story was either nice or funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

RIP Dusty. One of those people in Wresting that I loved hearing other people talk about. Every story was either nice or funny.

Indeed. Let's smile and remember him. Here's Deano doing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Just finished work and heard the sad news. A true legend has left the squared circle ..... RIP American Dream

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

Ahh no...:(, first Christopher Lee now Dusty? I never saw any of his matches but any mention of him in DVDs, interviews that I've seen, everyone has one word for him; Genius. One of the greatest if not THE greatest wrestling mind of all time.

I wonder how this will affect NXT in the long run especially with the amount of talent he worked with.

• Advertisement

Jesus summer Rae gave a lovely tribute on Twitter. As I've said it's not just a simple but no doubt a respectable "RIP dusty" it's all so personal for the nxt roster. I mean he was a legend well before nxt started but yet he seems to have wanted to share his knowledge and it shows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Jesus summer Rae gave a lovely tribute on Twitter. As I've said it's not just a simple but no doubt a respectable "RIP dusty" it's all so personal for the nxt roster. I mean he was a legend well before nxt started but yet he seems to have wanted to share his knowledge and it shows.

That's:
    https://twitter.com/RealSummerWWE/status/609194590357204992

I was concerned for Summer and her reaction to the news. I asked two Florida based Wrestling fans who went to FCW shows and were her first two fans essentially if she heard the news/was going to be ok. Summer was Dusty's favourite if watched FCW's TV show you'd know this to be true. Tweeted Rob Naylor this segment when I heard the news last night:

Bray Wyatt was one of Dusty's absolute favourites of that time period too. Bray was shipped back to FCW and his disastrous stint as Husky Harris and Dusty dusted him off and helped craft the Wyatt Family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

What a loss. Only really knew him from his WWF work with Macho Man and Dibiase. From what I saw he was still able to cut a better promo than most guys on the current roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Im stunned at this :(

One of the true greats.

The hard times promos is legendary but his View never changes promo is every bit as good imo.

RIP.

I've no doubt that he will get a superb and rightly deserved tribute on raw on Monday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Dusty as a wrestler is something I never got to see. I used to wonder why Goldust turning out to be the son of the American Dream was a big deal.

As the years have gone buy I grew to respect the man as I learned more about him and loved reading stories about him, especially appreciated hearing him tell a story.

It really is amazing to read so many tributes since the sad news broke.

A genuinely inspirational character. I hope those closest to him can get through the hard days ahead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

It is rare that in an Industry like the wrestling one there is a person where you get only nice things said about them (and not just after a pasing either) but Dusty was one of those. A guy who broke boundaries, defied the thinking of his time and inspired so many and continued to do so until his last days.

due to my age I never really saw him at the time but looking back I really did love his promos he was a true storyteller who could suck you into any and every feud he was selling.

Only recently watched the new WWE Rivalries ep of him and Flair and would def reccomend it to anyone especially if they havent seen much of Dusties career pre working with developmental

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

http://beakerjoesblog.wordpress.com

I wrote my 2nd blog piece on him.

RIP Dusty Rhodes

• Advertisement

Love & recommend the series in general. Likely until the Observer comes out next week this will be the best coverage of Dusty's career: https://twitter.com/KrisZellner/status/609326992148811776

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was shocked to hear

RIP Dusty.

I assume they'll have some sort of tribute, but would it be on MitB or Raw?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was shocked to hear

RIP Dusty.

I assume they'll have some sort of tribute, but would it be on MitB or Raw?

Mitb ? Oh yeah that's Sunday isn't it ? Yeah then Sunday we might get a ten bell salute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

would love to see Ownes using the Bionic Elbow on Cena.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

R.I.P. Dusty. He's left behind a great legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

RIP Dusty. The word "legend" is definitely overused these days, but using it in Dusty's case is certainly not unjust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Another aspect of this is how they're going to treat Cody now. I always thought he was above the Stardust gimmick.

Sorry if the above sounds cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Another aspect of this is how they're going to treat Cody now. I always thought he was above the Stardust gimmick.

Sorry if the above sounds cold.

The Stardust gimmick should be shelved, imo. At least temporarily. It would be ridiculous to have Stardust go out there and waffle on about Cosmic Keys as it's not what people want to hear.

If they are intent on keeping the Stardust schtick then just drop it for the week, have Cody say a few words - perhaps with Dustin as well - and then take him off TV for a week or two, and then return in the Stardust get-up.

Personally though I'd drop the Stardust gimmick altogether as I think it's awful.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

They did so with Chavo's Kerwin White gimmick when Eddie passed away.

• Advertisement

On Cody and the stardust thing it should just be Cody on Monday as how can they expect him to concentrate on his character when his dad has just died ?

Advertisement