Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The leaving cert a measure of intelligence or hard work?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

A lot of teenagers aren't very motivated academically though - I wasn't particularly myself. I don't blame 16/17-year-olds for wanting to enjoy those years socially and having hobbies, playing sports, and just doing stuff like watching TV, movies, listening to music... and not slaving over the books for hours every day on fairly tedious stuff they can't relate to. They're only youngsters ffs. They, in general, aren't fully aware of the realities of life and adulthood, and I wouldn't blame them - they'll find out, it's part of the journey/lessons of life or something.

It's a very young age really to expect complete realisation of the ramifications of life decisions, when they feel like they have all the time in the world. And in fairness, they do have a lot of time.

Someone mentioned if they had the knowledge they have now, they'd have studied their ass off, which is things in a nut-shell really IMO.

I have massive respect for those who just pull out all the stops and bust their butts studying. I don't know if this is due to planning for their future or just being into academia, being naturally ambitious/high-achieving for its own sake. But it takes a lot of discipline and hard work, and hats off to them.

I got a pretty meh leaving cert for what I could have achieved. I put things on the long finger (still do) and then when the pressure's on I do a really in-depth rather than half-assed job, so that worked to my advantage and I got into arts in university (which I would have wanted either way).
    But e.g. I got a C1 in geography, which is an all right mark, but seeing as geography is entirely a learning-off subject and I have a good memory, I could have done a lot better.

One thing: thank fuq the internet was only in its infancy when I did the leaving! :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I just wanted points for the course I was planning to do, didn't see the point in going for 500+ so I didn't bother

If i went back and had to re-do anything maybe it would have been my degree or masters to work properly but sure I'm happy where I am now and i'm working hard now!

Advertisement