Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Boards.ie a "safe space"?

Options

Comments

Truthfully I'm not sure. Lately on here I find mods locking threads because they felt it was being offensive to some people, which, quite a lot of the time, completely hampers a discussion. This is not just one forum, but is becoming endemic of them all.

But it seems that society is leaning towards this - feels like the world in general is moving towards the extreme PCness that you only get on places like Tumblr. Where people are afraid to offend anyone. We have to create titles for ourselves, because to not do it would would insult someone.

It gets tiring - if you say one thing, you're sexist, another thing, you're racist, where people are purposefully going out of their way to be offended.

Free speech doesn't exist anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Another newly registered poster using American Tea Party type idioms and ranting about the largely fictional 'liberal-fascist censorship' on boards.

Seriously, is there a factory churning out these bots? Is there a summer school they go to in Nebraska or somewhere? I've never, in my life, heard any Irish person use the expression 'liberal-fascist'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Here's a mad idea, Ted: if people don't want to get offended, maybe they should simply not visit forums named 'fatpeoplehate', 'HamPlanetHatred' or 'transfags'.

Here's another idea. If you want to set up a forum to abuse people, get your own domain name and server and set up your own website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Stheno wrote: »
    Plenty of people have committed suicide due to internet abuse.

How many? I would be surprised if more than a tiny tiny minority of suicides involved the internet. They just make better news stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

Reddit is a private company too - it doesn't have to accommodate these anti-social malcontents if it doesn't want to. "Free speech" doesn't come into this.

Online bullying is still bullying - and can have terrible consequences. Stuff like "They shouldn't go online then" and "They should grow a thicker skin", while not always bad advice, is completely deflecting responsibility in the extreme cases. Not bullying would be a better idea.

Now, what if bullying is an inherent part of human nature? How can you eradicate something that might just be "hard wired" in some people?

I'd rather be given the tools to deal with bullying than trust society to change people in such a way that nobody ever bullies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Truthfully I'm not sure. Lately on here I find mods locking threads because they felt it was being offensive to some people, which, quite a lot of the time, completely hampers a discussion. This is not just one forum, but is becoming endemic of them all.

But it seems that society is leaning towards this - feels like the world in general is moving towards the extreme PCness that you only get on places like Tumblr. Where people are afraid to offend anyone. We have to create titles for ourselves, because to not do it would would insult someone.

It gets tiring - if you say one thing, you're sexist, another thing, you're racist, where people are purposefully going out of their way to be offended.

Only thread I've seen getting closed on here in recent days was one that was speculating about rumours that a large international bank might run into financial difficulties.

Grrr those evil liberal-fascist Feminist Bankers!!! Political correctness gorn mad!!! Grrr!!! :mad::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

psinno wrote: »
    How many? I would be surprised if more than a tiny tiny minority of suicides involved the internet. They just make better news stories.

I can think of four in the last few years, the last being the case this week

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/schoolboy-17-who-took-his-own-life-blackmailed-by-criminals-31291587.html

It's becoming far too common

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Words are just letters put together and given a definition by some organisation. You should not be offended by any of these words online.

All these features such as likes, thanks, upvotes, favourites etc. just turn people into completely different people online. They say stuff that they think will get the most likes, just to feel somewhat satisfied inside when the fact of it all is that it means absolutely nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

porsche959 wrote: »
    Only thread I've seen getting closed on here in recent days was one that was speculating about rumours that a large international bank might run financial difficulties.

Grrr those evil liberal-fascist Feminist Bankers!!! Political correctness gorn mad!!! Grrr!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Bisexuality and Female Friends, now both were a bit trolly or at least had potential to be but if thats threads I've posted on that have been locked quick there must a be a good lot more.
    Links234 wrote: »
    Reddit has a few rules, they allow pretty much anything that isn't illegal, but if posters in one subreddit set out to harrass and brigade another sub or other people, then the admins take note. It's nothing to do with hurting peoples feelings or people getting offended, there's still plenty of absolutely abhorrent subreddits up and reddit's not been made a "safe space" by any stretch of the imagination.

But don't a lot of the Sh-t Reddit Says and the SJW (damn it I said it!) type sub reddit's brigade other subs all the time :confused: so I presume thats not the the reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

People really abuse the term free speech a lot, it means that a government can't prosecute you for the things you say, it doesn't mean a private company has to publish it. It also doesn't mean you're free from consequences of your speech either, someone else is free to criticise you for it. Free speech, you keep using this term, I do not think it means what you think it means. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

wow big news with reddit banning those subreddits. the site has really changed, probably for the better i suppose.

*grabs popcorn and heads to 4chan and 8chan to see the fallout*

People really abuse the term free speech a lot, it means that a government can't prosecute you for the things you say, it doesn't mean a private company has to publish it. It also doesn't mean you're free from consequences of your speech either, someone else is free to criticise you for it. Free speech, you keep using this term, I do not think it means what you think it means. :)

But I'm not specifically referencing discussions that are intended to be offensive, but are just perceived as such by skittish or uptight people. This happens quite a lot. This is when people react and completely hamper any discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Free speech doesn't mean the government can't prosecute you for the things you say. That is a right provided in the constitution of one country not a definition of what something means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

FPH2 is up and running.

Phew, I was worried about this for a few seconds! :)

But don't a lot of the Sh-t Reddit Says and the SJW (damn it I said it!) type sub reddit's brigade other subs all the time :confused: so I presume thats not the the reason

There's a lot of subs that link to other subs such as /r/subredditdrama and the like, but as long as they use 'no participation' links (if anyone reading is not familiar with reddit, it means you can't vote on what's linked, etc) and don't interfere with the other subs it's ok.

Users from /r/transfags however messaged users from transgender subs telling them to kill themselves, reposted their images, followed users around to other subs and were continuously downvoting them. You can understand why that's an entirely different kettle of fish, and why the admins had to take action.

But I'm not specifically referencing discussions that are intended to be offensive, but are just perceived as such by skittish or uptight people. This happens quite a lot. This is when people react and completely hamper any discussion.

Are you calling me fat?! :mad:

I AM OFFEEEENDED!!!!! RAWR!!!!

Are you calling me fat?! :mad:

I AM OFFEEEENDED!!!!! RAWR!!!!

:pac:

But in all honesty, I've always found you to be fantastic poster, who calmly and patiently answers questions regarding transgender issues, whereas, and I'm sure you've encountered this, other people would label such questions as being offensive and ignorant. To me, reacting like this just breeds more ignorance within people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭jonnypacket

I must admit, I'm enjoying reading the fallout over this on Reddit and the chans. Quite amusing. The general consensus is that the censorship of fat-shaming subreddits is wrong and hypocritical when Neo-Nazi subreddits are allowed to remain active.

Over here on Boards however most are cheering on the censorship. This place is so out of touch with reality it's hilarious. It's almost like Boards users are suffering from Stockholm syndrome after becoming accustomed to dealing with over-zealous mods and stringent mulit-page charters for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

A lot of stuff on Reddit pushes the boundaries, but that's the price of free speech. Bullying campaigns, identifying people in real life and doxxing, people who engage in that stuff can go to hell and Reddit are right to get rid of it. Opinions, no matter how distasteful should be protected however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Over here on Boards however most are cheering on the censorship. This place is so out of touch with reality it's hilarious. It's almost like Boards users are suffering from Stockholm syndrome after becoming accustomed to dealing with over-zealous mods and stringent mulit-page charters for so long.
    It's weird the way you come up with that in response to people just not liking people being viciously nasty to others who have not done anything to them, just be easy targets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I must admit, I'm enjoying reading the fallout over this on Reddit and the chans. Quite amusing. The general consensus is that the censorship of fat-shaming subreddits is wrong and hypocritical when Neo-Nazi subreddits are allowed to remain active.

I find myself wondering again..... You opened a Boards account to... for... what? Exactly?

And seriously? Why so much grumpy?

It's weird the way you come up with that in response to people just not liking people being viciously nasty to others who have not done anything to them, just be easy targets.

Why are you so nasty to Nick Griffin of the BNP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

It's not really that weird if you read his other posts, there's a bit of a common theme running through them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

porsche959 wrote: »
    Another newly registered poster using American Tea Party type idioms and ranting about the largely fictional 'liberal-fascist censorship' on boards.

Seriously, is there a factory churning out these bots? Is there a summer school they go to in Nebraska or somewhere? I've never, in my life, heard any Irish person use the expression 'liberal-fascist'.

They do exist, people who come out with obnoxious sayings and believe imposing values on other countries should be top priority. They say the old imperial powers were supposedly liberal which in effect meant savage African tribes be good now so bow you head to our symbols and monarchs.

Why are you so nasty to Nick Griffin of the BNP?
    Well I'm not (:confused:) but comparing him to people who have never done anything other than be easy targets is, as your posts seem to be going, highly dishonest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

I think taking the infuriating stuff and laughing at it to be better than outright censorship. One of my favorite subreddits is Neo Nazi or SJW where you have to guess based on an article whether the person is from stormfront or a radical feminist from tumblr. Would have you entertained for hours.

Well I'm not (:confused:) but comparing him to people who have never done anything other than be easy targets is, as your posts seem to be going, highly dishonest.

You keep using that phrase "easy targets" like some people should be more protected from criticism than others. What makes an "easy target" in your view?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

https://i.imgur.com/YFAZ3P3.png

I'm sorry, but it is funny :)

You keep using that phrase "easy targets" like some people should be more protected from criticism than others. What makes an "easy target" in your view?
    Can't stand up for themselves, haven't provoked anyone.
    You're mixing up "criticism" with "harassing" there btw - extremely dishonest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd prefer the censorship tbh

There's plenty I disagree with on here, and I've been involved in heated debate, but never been subjected to any abuse.

No one deserves abuse

Advertisement