Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conspiracy Theory #637: Bank collapse

Options
  • 09-06-2015 5:24pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine told me a few weeks ago that another major financial crash was imminent. She's not some crank but rather a clever girl with a 1st class honours degree in Mathematics and has worked as a currency trader in the US and Ireland before packing it in because she hated it. She said that it took her nearly a month to get her money out of the bank (HSBC) and that HSBC were essentially fcuked with what she said about their balance sheet. She also mentioned the coming implosion of the property bubble in the SE of England.

What makes me mention this is a headline in the BBC today:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-33058957

Time to start shorting bank and property stocks again?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Egginacup wrote: »
    Max Keiser says to invest in silver and sexy pictures of Putin doing manly things.

A friend of mine told me a few weeks ago that another major financial crash was imminent. She's not some crank but rather a clever girl with a 1st class honours degree in Mathematics and has worked as a currency trader in the US and Ireland before packing it in because she hated it.
    How would she know that, having packed in a trading job that wasn't even with HSBC?

People have been talking about an HSBC collapse for years, despite refusing to acknowledge that the reason for HSBC's difficulties is that it is a deposit-laden behemoth (that's a good thing) whose only problem is that it cannot compete on the sexier side of its operations.

HSBC will not collapse. Before you say 'that's what they said about Lehman Bros', HSBC is nothing like LB in its operations nor in its balance sheet.
    HSBC were essentially fcuked with what she said about their balance sheet.
    She's likely wrong about the balance sheet then. Whilst today's 1% in the share price is significant, I'd be careful about taking financial advice from that girl, if I were you.
    Finally something that is characteristic of the banking crisis: everyone on an internet forum is short-selling, and "long on gold futures" and **** towards the apocalypse. Boring chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

It's probably the heat doing it..I'm close to collapse today too. The paddy-body can't take it..

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Finally something that is characteristic of the banking crisis: everyone on an internet forum is short-selling, and "long on gold futures" and **** towards the apocalypse. Boring chat.

What??????

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

How would she know that, having packed in a trading job that wasn't even with HSBC?

People have been talking about an HSBC collapse for years, despite refusing to acknowledge that the reason for HSBC's difficulties is that it is a deposit-laden behemoth (that's a good thing) whose only problem is that it cannot compete on the sexier side of its operations.

HSBC will not collapse. Before you say 'that's what they said about Lehman Bros', HSBC is nothing like LB in its operations nor in its balance sheet.

She's likely wrong about the balance sheet then. Whilst today's 1% in the share price is significant, I'd be careful about taking financial advice from that girl, if I were you.

Can I just say that "**** Towards The Apocalypse" is going to be the title of my next album? Bravo, Sir!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thread title, and then the speculation in the OP reminds me of this:

(from 1:10 to 1:50)

Must watch that film again :)

Toots wrote: »
    What??????
    Calamity fetishism in other words.

The scourge of finance/banking forums. Bit unhinged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

This is how runs on banks start.

This thread shouldnt be just locked, it should be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

IvaBigWun wrote: »

Believe me, some frustrated neckbeard on a message forum interfering with himself as he fantasies about a bank collapsing, and his hated Capitalism being plunged into crisis isn't how a run starts on a bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If anybody closed their bank account based on the above info, I would seriously question their eligibility for having one in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭PissFlapsDory

Just off topic a bit.....but Jesus Mary and Joseph how many chins does Joe Duffy have?? You can hardly make out the guys face, it is just stuffed with fat, gets any bigger and your talking some serious money there, might even have space to build a house on it . Have a look in the Indo online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

A friend of mine told me a few weeks ago that another major financial crash was imminent. She's not some crank but rather a clever girl with a 1st class honours degree in Mathematics and has worked as a currency trader in the US and Ireland before packing it in because she hated it. She said that it took her nearly a month to get her money out of the bank (HSBC) and that HSBC were essentially fcuked with what she said about their balance sheet. She also mentioned the coming implosion of the property bubble in the SE of England.

What makes me mention this is a headline in the BBC today:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-33058957

If you base your investment decisions on someone who couldn't cut it in the world of finance, you won't have much success.

This is a completely wrong take on the HSBC situation.

Property in the SE of England will continue to grow at a rate of approx 3-5% for the next 5 years, then level off. The demand cycle for that area of the UK should insulate it from any general fall in property prices

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Believe me, some frustrated neckbeard on a message forum interfering with himself as he fantasies about a bank collapsing, and his hated Capitalism being plunged into crisis isn't how a run starts on a bank.
    If anybody closed their bank account based on the above info, I would seriously question their eligibility for having one in the first place.

Its how rumours start though lads.

"Is X Bank fúcked?" type threads were banned on AH back during the recession of 2008. I dont see how this is any different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

If you base your investment decisions on someone who couldn't cut it in the world of finance, you won't have much success.

Property in the SE of England will continue to grow at a rate of approx 3-5% for the next 5 years, then level off. The demand cycle for that area of the UK should insulate it from any general fall in property prices

I don't think she's right about hsbc and I do have money there but the idea that the smart people in finance can predict the future is evidentially empirically false. They are particularly not very good at soft landing. I'll take your soft landing with a large pinch of salt, thank you.

"Is X Bank fúcked?" type threads were banned on AH back during the recession of 2008. I dont see how this is any different.

Rumours are started by people who want to start rumours. People who think they are excluded from the current "System", whatsoever it may be, foam at the mouth and damn-and-blast. 'Twas ever thus. My wannabe-Teutonic colleague above is quite correct, there are wilder skies than these. It is however, the good, as you say, incorrectly-spelt crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

another major financial crash was imminent.

Won't affect me, I have no money :cool:

c_man wrote: »
    Won't affect me, I have no money :cool:

You won't need it. You will however, need a Kawasaki Z1000 with a hatchet-holster. See you on the road, scag! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I've all my money in zeppelin, slavery & hay stocks.

I predict big gains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

AIB and co. are next

AIB and co. are next

AIB was always a sort of hippy-commune for gob****es in cheap suits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I'm going to invest in pumpkins and fireworks in November!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

I hear tulips are the next big thing.....

Probably because they were overwrought and popped up too frequently, and not because of genuine concern about boards.ie sparking market collapse.

Markets love to be spooked, but not by boards.ie, nor indeed HSBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

I'd expected this thread to be pointless rubbish. Thank you for making it worthwhile on the basis of that one line alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I can see all the analysts in Wall Street subscribing to Boards to get their market information from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Are the drug cartels looking for their money back?

Banks X, Y & Zed were fúcked in 2008, too many safeguards in place now for a major player to fail. Those turbo powered pressed will backfill any holes if needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭circadian

Better throw me cash into a Russian bank so, any recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

HSBC collapse? Not likely, laundering drug money is quite lucrative.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jun/04/hsbc-fined-278m-over-money-laundering-claims

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

You won't last long in finance yourself if you make such blase predictions with unwarranted confidence. There are many reasons to be concerned about the London property market. I am not going to predict precisely when it will crash because that's a mug's game, but a lot of dodgy money floating about there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement