Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracing emigrants to USA

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I think you can get what's called an International Money Order in dollars at your bank. Best bet is to ask your bank teller or call them on the phone.

Edit: its apparently called an international bank draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

Good :)

Thank you.

A.

Hmm.............

Bank of Ireland will issue an Int Dollar Draft ok :)
    Minimum $ 500.00. :(

I need $20.00 .

Post Office no longer issue dollar postal orders/money orders ! :(

My local credit union will get a dollar money order for me if I'm a member .

I'm not but my wife is .........

Must go back to them again and bring her to order it. It will take 'a few days to arrive' .

Exhausting !

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Boscod

I've got $20 drafts from AIB in the past without difficulty.

Thanks for that .
    I'll try them Monday .

A

• Advertisement

Tried AIB today for a 20.00 dollar draft today - I've been ill for a few days :(

They will issue one - Hurray !

I need to have an account with them ................ SIGH !

My account is elsewhere . Bugger !

Gotta find a friend with an AIB account.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I would have thought all the banks could issue a foreign draft. Ask your own bank.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Jellybaby1 - he said above that BOI would only issue one for a minimum of $500.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Read it. Clean forgot it. My apologies.

I got a draft in PTSB.

I'd forgotten I had an old account with them .

Problem solved.

Thanks for responses.

I'm inclined to think there may have been a misunderstanding with my own bank BOI . It seems silly to say the least that they would have such a limit in place. Must recheck with them just for clarity.

A.

• Advertisement

Just to update you.....

Homelands securities sent me an email a few days ago ( since my last letter to them in October).

AAARRRGGGHHH !!! They said " You should have sent $35.00 to get the full C Record. Do you still want the AR record for $20.00 " or words to that effect.

Now I've replied and will have to wait another 3 months for some advancement ! It's exhausting :(

A.

PS another silly about Banks. Today in a local AIB branch (My A/C is BOI) I was unable to use their ATMs. They can only be used by AIB account holders ! Not a single generic ATM in sight ! Is this a new departure to kill the opposition !

Advertisement