Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rye River Brewing Co

Options
  • 08-06-2015 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

I've only ever drank their Colgan's IPA and their Knock Knock Ned's IPA, as IPA is my preferred beer style, and both were terrible. I've seen reviews of their other beers and the general consensus seems to be that they just taste like chemicals and that it's mass produced garbage trying to pass itself off as craft beer.

They really should have spent less money on marketing and more on the actual beer itself, or if they didn't want to do that, they should have just stuck to producing Bavaria.

Update from the OP from 28.08...
    Ah ****e this thread is still active, can a mod at least add a note to my original post saying I've completely changed my mind, and am now a supporter of Rye River?

Please see Mod Note in Post #130.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Maybe a touch harsh.

I'm an equal opportunities beer drinker, I'll give most breweries the benefit of the doubt particularly when starting out. I've had a good few of the Rye river beers and while some aren't great, they do make some decent stuff.
    I had their Grafters pale ale and IPA at the weekend and both were decent. I agree with you Colgans IPA is muck.
    Their one offs at beer festivals seem to be their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Never found any of there range to be that offensive - or exciting - for my tastes apart from their Grafter range in Dunnes, which I liked.

They also had 3 superb beers at the Alltech beer festival.

I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing and where their market is...

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

slayerking wrote: »
    Maybe a touch harsh.
    I had their Grafters pale ale and IPA at the weekend and both were decent.
    lk67 wrote: »
    apart from their Grafter range in Dunnes, which I liked.

Just looked up the Grafters IPA and it has me intrigued, if I see it I'll pick it up, and it will kind of be like one last chance for the brewery in my books.

Just looked up the Grafters IPA and it has me intrigued, if I see it I'll pick it up, and it will kind of be like one last chance for the brewery in my books.

If you didn't like their other beers, chances are you won't like Grafters!

If you didn't like their other beers, chances are you won't like Grafters!

I love American style IPAs though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

They had some world class beers such their berlinerwise and double IPA at Altech festival. They also brew a brown/mild for the 57th headlines that was supposed to be very good.

http://oblivioustobeer.blogspot.ie/2015/03/alltech-craft-brews-food-festival-2015_12.html

Their brewer master alex is very capable brewer. I suppose their main street beers are aiming for a certain part of the market.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I might give their specials a go but I've completely given up on their regular beers. Had some of their "IPA" at the weekend and I honestly thought it tasted like a strong version of Harp. Terrible stuff altogether. I don't understand what part of the market they're aiming for with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭donaghs

irish_goat wrote: »
    I might give their specials a go but I've completely given up on their regular beers. Had some of their "IPA" at the weekend and I honestly thought it tasted like a strong version of Harp. Terrible stuff altogether. I don't understand what part of the market they're aiming for with it.

Considering the range of beer they produce, including a raft of brands like McGargles, possibly they're just chucking loads of stuff at the wall and see what sticks. Personally I like McGargles and Solas, havent seen the other beers you mention.

More discussion here on the "craft" beers they make for Lidl: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057430354

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Are they considered craft by Beoir?

Are they considered craft by Beoir?

Yes I believe

• Advertisement

They fall under the definition as an independent beer producer that makes less than 30,000hL per year. That's the only definition of "craft" Beoir has. Personally I'd not describe a lot of their stuff as craft.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Personally I'd not describe a lot of their stuff as craft.

Why not?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've had most of the range (across the multiple brands) at this stage. I'll drink the various Reds again but that's it.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Why not?

"They fall under the definition as an independent beer producer that makes less than 30,000hL per year"

They also make Bavaria, does that make Bavaria craft? If they have the equipment to produce a massive lager, do you really think they are making their own beers "the hard way" which is probably the truest definition of the word craft.

Why not?

Cause it's rubbish. Any brewery that opens these days slaps the word "craft" on their label regardless of the quality.

They don't make Bavaria though, only distribute it.

They also make Bavaria
    Blame sloppy journalism for that rumour. They import and distribute it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

They fall under the definition as an independent beer producer that makes less than 30,000hL per year. That's the only definition of "craft" Beoir has. Personally I'd not describe a lot of their stuff as craft.

They (Rye River) are producing more than 30hl though.

Cause it's rubbish. Any brewery that opens these days slaps the word "craft" on their label regardless of the quality.
    Surely craft means small batches and quality is subjective? Who else would you consider not craft?

They have the licenses to produce Bavaria and San Miguel for the Irish market.

Blame sloppy journalism for that rumour. They import and distribute it.

huh, well that is sloppy journalism, so if they have a capable brew master, and they make it "the hard way", then why are their IPAs so bad?

• Advertisement

They are all producing more than 30000hl though.

Do you have proof? that's 3000000 liter per year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭billythefish99

They are all producing more than 30000hl though.

What do you mean?

huh, well that is sloppy journalism, so if they have a capable brew master, and they make it "the hard way", then why are their IPAs so bad?

High filtration for shelf life is probably a major culprit

oblivious wrote: »
    Do you have proof? that's 3000000 liter per year

The h was a typo. They are producing more than the revenue limit for rebate for small brewers over twice as much as the limit.

The h was a typo. They are producing more than the revenue limit for rebate for small brewers over twice as much as the limit.

Who are?

Surely craft means small batches and quality is subjective? Who else would you consider not craft?

Quality is of course subjective but I don't think a small batch should automatically qualify as craft, in the same sense that a massive batch of beer can also be craft as well.

I'd throw Creans into that mix too, the recipe was designed by the same guy who helped formulate Tennents. Says it all about their intentions.

Who are?

Rye river, the people the thread is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

are they?

link?

are they?

link?

Don't have a link, was just something I was told by someone who works there.

• Advertisement

You said "They are all producing more than 30000hl though"...

I very much doubt Rye River are producing 30000hl of beer.

Advertisement