Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Television Examples of Different Accents

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

efb wrote: »
    'Allo 'Allo Anglofranco
    I was pissing by the door, when I heard two shats. You are holding in your hand a smoking goon; you are clearly the guilty potty

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

lizzyman wrote: »
    Is this a Glasgow accent? I like to think I can understand most accents but after the first few seconds he might as well be speaking a different language

Aye, thats a "Weegie".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

lizzyman wrote: »
    Is this a Glasgow accent? I like to think I can understand most accents but after the first few seconds he might as well be speaking a different language

Yeah, its Glesga alright. Strange thing is I have no problems understanding him. I guess it depends which accents you're used to. I've spent a lot of time around Glaswegians and Scots in general.

Thanks to everyone suggesting videos and series, I'm sure it will help him out.

I was pissing by the door, when I heard two shats. You are holding in your hand a smoking goon; you are clearly the guilty potty

I can't wait for him to see Captain Berterelli.

Especially the one where he's in the tank and it explodes and he stumbles out... whata mistakea da makea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Rab C Nesbitt for Scottish accent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Lenny Hernry for Birmingham and the movie The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie for an Edinburgh accent.

The film Red Road is good for Glasgow and Gregorys Girl for the annoying halfcast weggie accent from places like Livingston.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Northern Ireland - Give my Head Peace
    West of Ireland - Tom Cruise in Far and Away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Been a long time since i did the ielts, but as far as i can remember, they wont ask you to identify the accent - you just have to listen to a piece of text and answer a few questions. Think back then it was a generic British accent, a Scottish one, and possibly American. Definitely nothing 'out there' or hard to understand.

The whole thing (to me) was a bit of a joke, really...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

I read once somewhere that accents are formed partly from environmental factors. North east England is subject to biting winds off the North Sea so that people speak with a clenched up mouth.
    Cork city and South Wales are both hilly, giving a sing song note to the voice that follows the hills up and down.
    And as for the Irish Midlands and the fens of Norfolk, well we say they're flat accents for a good reason.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »

She's good at getting the essence of an accent but she's not spot on. If she thinks dats bleedin Duhblin den she needz da fink aghen. I'd say she's more than enough for my friend though so thanks.

In terms of the IELTS they don't expect you to identify the accent, at times that would be hard even for a native speaker. But they do throw in, lets say educated regional accents, for example they will have someone from Liverpool but they won't have a true scouser and certainly not a wacker.

Advertisement