Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hens will not roost

Options
  • 07-06-2015 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

I've got four hens in a nice new hen-house, complete with roost and three nesting boxes. No matter what, they persist sleeping (and ****ting) in the nesting boxes and don't roost at all. It's not a shed I can walk around in so I can't physically go in and put them on the roost....... I always thought they would be naturally inclined to roost as high as possible.... Not my ladies though!!! It makes gatheirng the eggs a messy business too :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Cover off the nesting boxes with a bit of plywood at night should work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

What are you using as roosts and is the roost is higher than the nest boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Kovu wrote: »
    What are you using as roosts and is the roost is higher than the nest boxes?

I've used a length of timber and yes, it's higher than the boxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Gorteen wrote: »
    I've used a length of timber and yes, it's higher than the boxes

Hmmm, how young are they? Poults often crowd together like that as they just don't know any different. Although you can't go into the shed are you reach them in the nest boxes in order to place them onto the roosts? We had to teach a few one year as they grew up together nesting in a big group in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

What size is te timber ??
    I was told 1.5 inch square is around ideal, too small or big and they're not comfortable in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

the roost bar needs to be the right diameter, and rounded at the edges so that they are happy to perch. The perch has to be higher than the nesting boxes, so that they are more inclined to roost on the perch. If you have one of those coops, that you can lift the lid on the nesting boxes, for a few nights, go and lift the lid, manhandle each hen out of the nesting box, on to the perch - might work eventually. Sometimes my lot will sleep in the nesting box, sometimes on the perch. Every morning I just shake out the straw in the nesting box to get rid of poop when I let the hens out - usually before they start to lay...

You can do something like this to protect the eggs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWuAz0NsE9Y

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/368521181980290864/

http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2015/03/the-secret-to-keeping-your-nesting.html

Advertisement