Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

50 50 50 can it be done?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

yes , its nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Nothing in that link about how fast/slow he does an IM in...

Reminds me of the time I met one of the 100 Marathon Ireland club runners, he told me he had run over 50 marathons to date, asked how many I ran... he couldn't believe that I didn't know my total. I asked him what his fastest was... I couldn't believe he didn't know his PB.

50 IM in 50 days? Whatever floats your boat, it's certainly doable, like a lot of these "slow and often" challenges. Personally I'm in the camp of being more impressed with a 50min IM swim.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

From hearing Gerry Duffy talk about his 10 in 10...unless he is some sort of absolute superhuman, I don't think 50 in 50 is doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

From hearing Gerry Duffy talk about his 10 in 10...unless he is some sort of absolute superhuman, I don't think 50 in 50 is doable.

i'd have to agree with you there RacoonQueen, I think he will make 15, possibly 20 but 50 is taking endurance to a new level altogether. saying that, Gerry Duffys decaman was on a very difficult course in pretty awful weather, I don't think the ironcowboy is going to face a course like that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

If gerry made it sound easy who would buy his books or pay for him as a speaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

tunney wrote: »
    If gerry made it sound easy who would buy his books or pay for him as a speaker.

true, but I presume you have seen the profile of Gerrys course, it certainly wasn't easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Reminds me of the time I met one of the 100 Marathon Ireland club runners, he told me he had run over 50 marathons to date, asked how many I ran... he couldn't believe that I didn't know my total. I asked him what his fastest was... I couldn't believe he didn't know his PB.

Was that UM1?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

tunney wrote: »

Indeed...sounded horrendous though. Do you think 50 in 50 is possible? Taking into account they've to travel also between each one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Indeed...sounded horrendous though. Do you think 50 in 50 is possible? Taking into account they've to travel also between each one!

Fine balance between being quick enough to maximise recovery time between events and slow enough to be able to complete all.

Choose the courses right and the crew management and be grand ;)

In fairness to GD his courses were horrible the run was a nightmare. Proper mental endurance stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

AKW wrote: »
    Fine balance between being quick enough to maximise recovery time between events and slow enough to be able to complete all.

Choose the courses right and the crew management and be grand ;)

In fairness to GD his courses were horrible the run was a nightmare. Proper mental endurance stuff.

I guess the plus side for GD was not having to travel between the races.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

This guy seems to be having it tough already.

Falling asleep on the bike on the third day.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I was going to say, sleep deprivation would be the biggest issue. GD discusses that in his talks. You take so long to complete each one, that you have little time for sleep. And the impact of the exercise makes heat regulation difficult too, I know a lot of the competitors in his deca succumbed to hypothermia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

10 in 10 days is nuts....with a very high dropout rate

50 in 50 ..never going to happen. The things people do for attention these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭griffin100

This is entering into permanent body damage territory I think. I've read some horror stories of how long it takes to recover from a Decca IM, this is getting just stupid.

So how far will he get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

I'd be surprised if he got much further than the 10, maybe 12 or 13 if he's lucky.

Not that I wish him bad, I'd love to see him succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Yea, I wouldn't think 20 without traveling would be possible, and with traveling I would think he won't do 15. Crossed fingers for the guy though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    Yea, I wouldn't think 20 without traveling would be possible, and with traveling I would think he won't do 15. Crossed fingers for the guy though...

why fingers crossed? its daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

10 in 10 is pretty easy in comparison to a non-stop race. All that time off the clock to eat and sleep makes things far more straightforward. There have been plenty of 9/10 day non-stop expedition ARs in past, with lots of interesting and varied sleep strategies played out. Having the time and facilities to have real meals between days also makes the likes of 10 in 10 much easier.

I think a lot of people definitely find sleep deprivation to be the hardest thing to deal with in multi-day races. And the most likely discipline where the nasty consequences could kick in is definitely cycling. A significant proportion of race-ending injuries in AR would have come from people falling asleep cycling (usually going downhill on roads at speed).

My guess on this: If he has the ability to do his slowest day in 20 hours then he can do the full 50 (I reckon he should be able to make it on 3 and a half hours sleep). That's also presuming he's well fat adapted and can shovel enough real food in in a small amount of time either side of sleeping, and whilst cycling and running. Otherwise he'll probably end up chasing his tail as sleep deprivation requires him to take more breaks, which in turn decreases the gap between active days.

He has to travel state to state though, so there is no time for a 20hr day. They say each race must be completed in 14 hours.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭griffin100

30 has been done apparently.

Who knows, perhaps he'll get to fifty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

10 in 10 days is nuts....with a very high dropout rate

50 in 50 ..never going to happen. The things people do for attention these days.

it would be an easy task for the likes of petre vabroushek, mike schifferle etc ie 8.20 h ironman guys that do 12 ironman a year usually being aorund 10th place overall.
    for an 12 hour ironman even a deca man is a challenge like garry duffy who was more like a 12 hour Ironman. ( great achievement fo ran 12 hour ironman but nothing spceila for a pro triathlete, not that iam saying its easy )

Sorry Peter but youre not going to do 10 / 15 or 50 IM races back to back at that 8:20 race intensity. Maybe some one fit enough for 8-8:30 racing cantering around in 13.5-14 hours at a nice easy level might do it but they'd die of boredom first IMO

Sorry Peter but youre not going to do 10 / 15 or 50 IM races back to back at that 8:20 race intensity. Maybe some one fite enough for 8-8:30 racing cantering around in 13.5-14 hours at a nice easy level might do it but they'd die of boredom first IMO

And kill their career.

Sorry Peter but youre not going to do 10 / 15 or 50 IM races back to back at that 8:20 race intensity. Maybe some one fite enough for 8-8:30 racing cantering around in 13.5-14 hours at a nice easy level might do it but they'd die of boredom first IMO

??? did i say they would do 8.30 I said this number to indicate that they are athletes that are not far of from world class in ironman ( nowhere near world class in half ironman )

you are aware what mental sterenght it needs to run a 2.48 marathon of the bike .... ?
    a high ftp allows you to go faster at an lower ftp and espcially petre and mike recover very quickly from races
    so of course they dont go 8.20 for them dong an 1.15 hour swim a 6 hour bike every day is a piece of cake and they can run walk 42 k ....

its the same like most top itu guys will mkae top ironman ( not all but 60 % do ) but every itu athlete that has been to the olympics can crank out an sub 8.30 h ironman.
    perforamce is performance and if they want with some time of adaption they can do that.

or let me say it in anohter the tour de france done clean is reall sport 50 ironman a day is just nowhere near that performance ( and again do not get me wrong i do not say that doing 50 ironman in 50 days is easy and it requires skills. ( at the same time if you do a 150 000 euro bet with me I will take it and do 50 ironman in 50 days in 1 year - I have travelled 2 year alon on the bike and have a bit off an idea and if somebody takes my luggage and cooks for me it would be fun to travel that way.

peter kern wrote: »
    ??? did i say they would do 8.30 I said this number to indicate that they are athletes that are not far of from world class in ironman ( nowhere near world class in half ironman )

There were two ways of interpreting what you said.

1. an 8:30 Ironman would have 15.5 hours to recover per day (not sustainable IMO)

or

2. I understood what you meant which is why I put in this bit:
    ... some one fit enough for 8-8:30 racing cantering around in 13.5-14 hours at a nice easy level might do it but they'd die of boredom first IMO

and as Oryx suggested potentially ruin a career in the process by missing out on a racing season.

most bordies would understadn the very basics that if one has an im pb of 8.20 they would not do that 10 x in a row .
    but for an 8.20 im doing a 13 h im is way ieasier than for an 12 hour im going 14.30.

so again for an top athlete to prepare for 50 in 50 is way easier than for a guy that was 15 stones a few years ago.
    There were two ways of interpreting what you said.

1. an 8:30 Ironman would have 15.5 hours to recover per day (not sustainable IMO)

or

2. I understood what you meant which is why I put in this bit:

and as Oryx suggested potentially ruin a career in the process by missing out on a racing season.

peter kern wrote: »
    most bordies would understadn the very basics that if one has an im pb of 8.20 they would not do that 10 x in a row .
    but for an 8.20 im doing a 13 h im is way ieasier than for an 12 hour im going 14.30.

so again for an top athlete to prepare for 50 in 50 is way easier than for a guy that was 15 stones a few years ago.

You mean the ones that understand IM is not 70.3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

This video is about 30 IM in 30 days, somebody mentioned this earlier so I though you might be interested. I'm just about to watch it :)

Advertisement