Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

What a lovely race report D and a massive well done to your wife on her first half marathon (and a challenging one she set herself too). Sounds like it was nicely paced too.

Hope the doctor can shed some light on why she fainted or at least get to the root of the high blood sugar after such a long time running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Jeez that's scary, don't blame you for watching her all day. Well done to her though, and lovely of you to run with her!
    Neady83 wrote: »
    What a lovely race report D and a massive well done to your wife on her first half marathon (and a challenging one she set herself too). Sounds like it was nicely paced too.

Hope the doctor can shed some light on why she fainted or at least get to the root of the high blood sugar after such a long time running.

Thank you kindly, she’s been grand since and recovered very well from the run (even with the epilogue event). She has a GP visit tomorrow morning so will see what comes from that. A club mate suggested last night that possibly that second gel could have been a factor and may not have been digested by her stomach fully during the race and then caused a spike...we’ll see anyways!

Catchup time

Sunday 02-09-2018

Legs fine after my pacing work with my wife the previous day in Dingle, all well with her as well. She had bloods done during the ahead and all clear, doctor thinks it was just a tough day for her....good for her is that she's talking about doing another half next year in Tralee so all good.

Plan had 20 min easy, 60min @ 95-100% marathon pace, 15-20min cooldown.
    Worked out as:
    2.14mi in 20min @ 9:23min/mi, 6.9mi in 60mins @ 8:42min/mi, 2.08mi in 20min @ 9:38min/mi.

Monday 03-09-2018

Rest

Tuesday 04-09-2018

45 min easy run on the plan for the day but I took up the opportunity to do some cross country running (was more sand dune running really) in the evening. Tried out my new xc runners and all good there, they are so light though so we'll see how long they last for. Saucony Carrera XC2s.
    2.8 miles cross country in 27:52 @ 9:50min/mi.

Wednesday 05-09-2018

Speed work on for today but also juvenile coaching so carried over session to Thursday. Aside from some jogging around with the kids over some of the hour nothing here. One wet/windy evening!

Thursday 06-09-2018

Carried over from Wed, plan had easy 20min w/u, 4x 1600m @ 105-110% of GMP w/ 90sec Recovery Jogs, Easy 10-15min c/d.
    Up in Dublin for work and staying in town so got the Luas out to Milltown after work and ran back into town along the DCM route...last time I ran this I was walking some of it there near Glenmalure park (didn't know the name of the spot but I do now). Run went well and there was some exorcising the demons with the pace I ran it it. The target for the intervals was 7:55-8:20 but I ran it pretty hard. Actual was 7:48, 7:42, 7:55, 7:39 (fun running back in from the RDS and opening it up a bit more over the last interval). 8.1 miles in 1:10:38.

Friday 07-09-2018

Rest day

Saturday 08-09-2018

3.2 mi in 30 min @ 9:22min/mi

Total mileage for the week: 25.2 miles

Sunday 09-09-2018

Rest day on the plan here but given the way I've been only partially following the plan I put an additional long run in here knowing that I could adapt the rest of the week's plan.
    So I went with 20 min easy, 70min @ 95-100% marathon pace, 20min cooldown.
    Worked out as:
    2.16mi in 20min @ 9:14min/mi, 8.1mi in 70mins @ 8:39min/mi, 1.04mi in 10:10 @ 9:49min/mi

Monday 10-09-2018

Rest

Tuesday 11-09-2018

60 min easy run on the plan for the day but that was based on not having done a long run at the weekend so I did some cross country running around a field near my house. Each lap was around 1K long so I did just over the 5 laps to get 5K done. Ground extremely hard at the moment and quite bumpy in spots so being very much a novice at this I am minding my ankles. I badly sprained my left ankle two times in a 2-3 year period 8 to 10 years ago but the issues that caused that seem to gone through various rehab and strength stuff over the years....touch wood. 3.1 mi cross country in 30 mins @ 9:39min/mi.

Wednesday 12-09-2018

Rest day, more juvenile cross country training. We finished up with a relay race with two large teams and was impressed with our daughter running very well on her leg. It was about 300 meters long and she was flying it her best. She loves the relay races for some reason.

Thursday 13-09-2018

Carried over from Wed, plan had (Lactic Resistance Intervals)- Easy
    20min Warm-Up, 14-16 x 400m @ 110-115% of GMP w/ 90sec
    Recovery Jogs, Easy 15min Warm-Down. Legs did not feel so good at all attempting this so said I'll try do 8 and see how it goes as mindful of injury.
    In the end I got 10 but christ they were painful, my calves were screaming a bit following the xc running on Tuesday night so I knew by rep 8 and 9 I wouldn't do many more so just gave it my level best for one more and that was it.

Broke down as follows:
    2.14mi in 20min @ 9:21min/mi,

10x0.25mi (just over 400m), target was 1:53-2:00 (achieved was 1:52, 1:59, 2:00, 1:59, 1:57, 1:59, 1:56, 1:58, 2:00, 1:52)
    1mi in 10min @ 9:48min/mi

Ideally you do the above run on a track or a measure part of the road as the GPS can catch you out but I try use a flat section of the road for it.

Friday 14-09-2018

Rest day

Saturday 15-09-2018

Tralee parkrun
    Got into town around 9:15 so just to do half a mile warm up before the briefing. I spotted an older clubmate (also D) of mine doing a good warm up and stretches before hand so figured he was going for a time. I noted his progression recently down through the numbers to 24:01 and at 65 I think this is very good going. Had an idea in my head to say it to him someday that if I wanted I could pace him for a bit knowing that at the moment I am just running these comfortably in the 23:30-24, around half marathon pace.

In the first of 3 laps he passed by me and I just said hello, I settled in a few paces behind him as we progressed around the first two of the three laps. I knew by his running he was definitely shooting for a pb and said if he drops back towards me I'll make sure to try keep him going. Start of lap 3 and he's back beside me. He says to me to keep going on and I said nah you're grand I'll stick with you, I just said no talking just running and lets keep it going. He gave me the thumbs ups so we were on for that last mile. Plenty of traffic to get around on the third lap so I slipped in front of him for that but then eased back to ensure he was on my shoulder and keeping pace. Into the last few hundred meters I knew he was good for his time if he could keep it going, around the last few bends and one final good push towards the line. Hit the button as we finished and was delighted to see 23:53 so a pb by 8 seconds for him.
    He was thanking me afterwards for helping him out and said it's the fastest he's run since the 80's. I just said no bother and I'd had it in mind someday to run with him as the last two times I've gotten a pb there I've had someone help me out like that to just keep it going.I hope to be able to run that pace when I'm 65!

0.5mi w/u in 5:12 @ 10:20min/mi
    Tralee parkrun in 23:53 @ 7:41min/mi

After that my wife and I did a parkrun freedom run so 3.1 mile in 35:34 @ 11:27min/mi. We're going to try alternating week by week who gets to run and who gets to drop our daughter to her various things on a Sat morning.

Total mileage for the week: 28.1 miles

Sunday 16-09-2018

Up in Dublin at the Self Build show and not back to Kerry till 8pm so left the long run to carry over till Monday.

Monday 17-09-2018

Plan had easy 20min, Marathon Pace Tempo Run (70min @ 95-100% of Goal Marathon Pace, or GMP), Easy 20min Warm-Down
    Got this done within a gap of wind and rain and ended just doing 10 minutes on the warm down.
    2.11mi in 20min @ 9:27min/mi
    8mi in 70mins @ 8:46min/mi
    1mi in 10:00 @ 10:12min/mi

11.2 miles in total for evening

Tuesday 18-09-2018

Rest day

Wednesday 19-09-2018

Due to Storm Ali club activities were cancelled for the evening so got my midweek speed session done to plan on Wednesday as it should be.

Plan had easy 20min Warm-Up, 5x 1600m (one mile)@ 105-110% of GMP w/90sec Recoveries Between Each, Easy 10-15min Warm-Down

I started my run at 6pm planning not to go too far away from home (about 3 miles at the furthest point in case things started to take a turn for the worse on the weather front) and it went very well thankfully. In total it was 9.3 miles in 1:21:06, my target mile splits were 7:55-8:20, actual times achieved were 7:55, 7:58, 7:55, 7:57, 7:53. It was a good controlled effort with the first rep downhill, last rep into a headwind for about half of it but kept it consistent enough. Felt like I could have done another rep which was a good sign.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Fair play on the park run. Giving back can be done on the course in the community too.

Searching Self Build show now...

Fair play on the park run. Giving back can be done on the course in the community too.

Searching Self Build show now...

Thanks! Best of luck if you're going down that road, we're recently got our planning permission so occupying a lot of time trying to learn about construction things!

Thursday 20-09-2018

Rest

Friday 21-09-2018

45 minute easy this morning before work, 4.8 miles @ 9:20min/mi. Grand run now even with the wind. Running jackets back out of the closest these days on some easy runs, plus a hat. No parkrunning tomorrow so that will be it for this week. Next run for me will be Charleville on Saturday, not planning for a pb attempt as simply not in the nick for it at the moment. Current year's best for me this year is 1:42:49 (Hilly course in Ballybunion). I've only ran faster than that time twice before (both last year), Charleville (1:40:23, my current pb) and Killarney (1:41:44). Both were attempts at going with 1:40 pacers and given where my training is at I don't think I can attempt too much of a withdraw for what little I have saved so far for DCM. A year's best would be nice but if the wind is whipping up too much I'll be parking it with the 1:45 pace group for a good bit of the run and just figure it for a decent workout.

Saturday 22-09-2018

Rest

Today mileage for the week: 25.3 miles

Sunday 23-09-2018

Charleville Half Marathon race report

This was an interesting race for me as wasn't under pressure unlike other races this year where it was a goal race (Donadea), my club's 10K in August and the Cork Half in June. Donadea went great but the other two weren't what I'd have hoped on the pace front. Last year I got my pb of 1:40:23 but I know my training isn't there at the moment so I figured I'd be unlikely to trouble that. Travelled over with a neighbour so just chatting away for the journey about stuff in general so no pressure at all with internal monologues. I had hoped to at least record a year's best time which was to break 1:42:49 from Ballybunion Half on Easter Saturday...that is a tough hilly route where I ran with the 1:45s up until around 10 miles and then pushed on for fast finish. I'd expected Sunday to be bad weather but it was ideal conditions for running, did 1.5 mile warm up nice and easy pace around 10min/mi out the first mile of the course and back again...noted the wonderful drag of course coming back to the start.
    Walked up to the start line and sake feck it I'd line up behind the 1:40 pacers and see how it went. Didn't have a pace band on (usually always do for half marathons). Off we went (didn't hear Rob H start us off but sure follow the crowd going that way!

Mile 1-3 (7:24, 7:33, 7:30)
    Settled into the pace here okay, you do have fast start here but just hung out the back of the pace group. I think I eased up right behind it here but didn't pass out the middle pacer. The third pacer was alongside or behind me here at times. I unbeknownst to me spotted aquinn here but wasn't sure it was here as wasn't sure of her time target for the day but I did see what looked like a Crusaders top from the side and a pair of pink armsleeves. I later found out it was her.

Mile 4-6 (7:28, 7:35, 7:38)
    Saw a few people walking very early in the race, not sure was it mile 3 or mile 4 but I think it was even before the water station and that was in Mile 4. Not sure if I've seen that that early in a half marathon before. In my own case felt I was doing okay here but I was probably about 5 seconds behind the pace group going in towards Kilmallock. I had a gel to hand but said I'd hold that back till maybe 8 miles for it kick in over the last 5K or so into town. Usually take a gel half way in a half. Was right up behind the pace group going under the tunnel thing into Kilmallock. Nice atmosphere here as we moved through the town.

Mile 7-9 (7:35, 7:34, 7:47)
    Left turn now as we came up to the water station, really good support here on this turn and I can remember that from previous years here. Nice to see club tops from the North Cork AC that hosts this event. It's a great race that club has got going here and long may it last. Had a thought earlier this week that if the race got postponed and the new date didn't suit that I wasn't going to seek a refund. Not trying to blow my own trumpet here but they really pull out the stops so delighted that the weather gods worked in their favour here and another flawless event. I remember going through half way and checking my watch 49:50 so I was still on target for sub 1:40 but I was finding the going a bit tougher now. I knew the part the come had a faster downhill section in it and with that I did pull up to the back pacer again but I just committed to holding the effort mile by mile for as long as I could. Mile 9 I was dropping back again and I let the group go, I knew I could ease back by maybe 10-15 seconds a mile and still get my year's best. I guess I had maybe thought about a pb attempt around the halfway mark but last year I was hobbled for a week with a calf injury so said I wasn't doing that again, I'll get my half pb (and sub 1:40) when I train proper for it.

Mile 10-Finish (7:55, 7:52, 7:44, 8:04)
    Bit of a slog here now but such is the case if you go too fast as the start as I had done so really, I could have given myself an easier day but it was nice to push the boat out here and coming back towards town I suspect the gel I took around mile 8 kicked in as I felt pretty good in the 12th mile relatively speaking and started to push hard again. A clubmate went past me here, we only managed a word or two but he was moving faster than me the fecker!
    The last mile though was pretty horrid, I noted was breathing was awful here, think I discovered my diaphragm here (I don't sing) as due to effort the odd breath here and there had vagaries of a moan from the depth of my stomach. Don't know if I've heard that in race from me before but suffice to say I wasn't going to getting a sprint finish as I had nothing left to give. Turning the gate to run down to the finish I think aquinn flew past me (or was in earlier that mile, you might recall A), whenever it was she really flew past me here and put in a hell of a drive to the finish. Myself I checked over my right shoulder, nothing coming so just ran it down to the line as best as I could. Took a min with my hands on my knees and was okay then. Bumped into my clubmate then, he'd done great.
    And caught up with my neighbour then who did a great first half marathon and his brother who went sub 1:30 as well. Just as I turned to head back to the car the girl with the pink armsleeves spotted and came over to me to say hi and indeed it was aquinn and asked was I D and I said I was (great to meet you properly back running and doing so well) and then she introduced me to misterpaul, annapr and swashbuckler. Great to meet people from here, it's still a novelty to me to do so....every time!

I headed back to the car for a min then to change and back to the hall where I met Murph_D for the first time and also yaboya as well. Another new person for me to meet as well. Nice chat with all and well done to each of you on your runs. After that back home to Kerry....job done for another year. Though I am starting to seriously think about properly targeting Charleville HM as my goal race for next year (and not just one I do as part of DCM training) and train for 5/10Ks in the first half of the year....I really want to better my time over the sub marathon distance so I can ultimately be faster at the marathon distance again.

Gross time: 1:41:28
    Net time: 1:41:10

Monday 24-09-2018

Rest day

Tuesday 25-09-2018

Off work today go 4.2 miles easy in 40min @ 9:30min/mi done after dropping my daughter to school. Off to Cork for the rest of the day then to take in the Legends for Liam game, rolling back the years a bit there watching guys play that covered a significant period of my life from my early teens right through to my early 30s until the last of them retired. Well thought out occasion and hopefully the funds raised will help Liam Miller's family and the charities due to benefit from the occasion. RIP to one who died so young.

Wednesday 26-09-2018

Plan had (Lactic Resistance Intervals)- Easy
    20min Warm-Up, 8x 800m (half-mile)@ Yasso Pace w/ 90sec Recovery Jogging Between Each, Easy 20min Warm-Down

However as soon as I was done with work I was over to my club's training grounds to help out at a Primary Schools Cross Country Sports event we were hosting. My duty was to assist another coach at the start line, with races from first class (400m) right through to 6th class (1400m) with each class running 200m more than the previous class. The event went great and we'd the races all run through in just over an hour which everyone seemed to appreciate albeit a lovely evening to be out. Class seeing some really brilliant racing, seeing the kids who already have some tactics down as they nicked a few positions over the last 50-100 was a highlight. Hopefully it will be repeated again as the feedback to the club was very good. Got home just after half 8 so carried my run over to Thursday.

Thursday 27-09-2018

Speed work carried over from the previous day, got this done after work. Total of 8.7 miles in 1:17:15. For the intervals my target time for the 0.5mi splits was 3:50-4:00, actually achieved was 3:59, 3:52, 3:55, 3:57, 3:55, 4:00, 3:55, 3:51. Pretty happy with those as they were controlled efforts and could have done more which is all good.

Friday 28-09-2018

Rest

Saturday 29-09-2018

Wasn't sure if I'd be parkrunning this week but turned out I could make it. I'd inquired about pacing but the slots were taken. I was going to run around 24 mins again much like I have been doing on the days preceding my long runs for a bit. Very short warm up, 0.2mi...hardly worth mentioning. Tralee parkrun 3.1 miles in 23:44 @ 7:40min/mi.

Total mileage for the week: 30.8 miles

• Advertisement

Sunday 30-09-2018

Plan had Easy 30min, Marathon Pace Tempo Run (90min @ 95-100% of Goal Marathon Pace), Easy 20min Warm-Down

There was a local 5K run on at 12pm that my wife and daughter were planning to run, the plan being for my wife to run herself and I'd run/walk with our 6.5 year old. It's at least about 18 months since she last tried to walk a 5K...I carried her for about half of it so wasn't sure of what was to come. I got my own run in before that starting just before 9am so I'd be home for 11:20 to change my clothes and back out again.
    Couldn't decide on the route I'd run so decided to replicate the training I used to do for the 50K and run to the neighbouring village, just under 3 miles away and then start doing laps that are maybe just shy of 3 miles long, I did 4 laps approx before taking a different road home before completing the 4 the lap. Run went well and got into a good rhythm running around and around the same loop (same one would be hosting the 5K race that morning).

Run broke down as:

3.24mi in 30min @ 9:16min/mi
    10:32mi in 90min @ 8:43min/mi
    2.44mi in 23:19min @ 9:33min/mi.

16 miles in total

After that the 5K with my daughter went well, she ran the first K then would walk from maybe 100m before running for another 200-300m...rinse and repeat for the rest of the race. She was about half way through when she said this is a bit long. I just told her that you know those episodes of Horrid Henry you watch...well what you've left to run is maybe the same length of time as watching two of those episodes. Seemed to work and she never mentioned the distance left to run then when she wondering had she just one episode left to run yet. 43:23 @ 14:17min/mi for the 5K. Very impressed with her doing that now as I told her that there's no way could I have done that at her age. My wife did very well too, coming in just under 30 mins, first thing she said to me was that the route was a bit short...maybe 100-150 so she probably would have been a minute slower but very happy with her run. I had noted the distance on my watch as well but we both expected that to the case. That sub 30 will come eventually for her!

Monday 01-10-2018

Rest day today, slightly stiff from yesterday's runs but nothing too bad.

Tuesday 02-10-2018

On a half day from work today as a few bits and pieces to take care of. Got some positive news on recent issues that had me cut my mileage back in early June so should be able to start increasing my mileage back up again as it appears to have been unrelated, not really surprised on that front but what can you do, not much good for DCM at this stage but anyways helps to formulate future plans as I've missed being out there 5-6 days a week (currently 3-4 and haven't being supplementing missed runs with cycling or swimming as I just want to run). London ballot results out this week so hoping the marathon gods look favourably for me this time around.
    Took in a bit of cross country running in the late afternoon on my club's training field. I did 3.8 miles in 35 mins @ 9:09min....I did class the run as easy but the odd thing was that after about 15-20mins of running (around 9:15/9:20min/mi pace) I felt quite alright with the cross country stuff and could pick up the pace a bit at the same effort. Guess a good lesson learned ahead of what should be a cross country debut in the Kerry Masters at the weekend...start off easy enough and maybe let the race come to you a bit. I've never raced cross country before so no clue what I am getting but certainly lapped is one thing. Not sure if we have enough for a team in the Under 50 age group from my club but been trying to encourage current/lapsed members to give it a go. Anyways, will see what Sunday brings.

diego_b wrote: »
    Got some positive news on recent issues that had me cut my mileage back in early June so should be able to start increasing my mileage back up again as it appears to have been unrelated, not really surprised on that front but what can you do, not much good for DCM at this stage but anyways helps to formulate future plans as I've missed being out there 5-6 days a week (currently 3-4 and haven't being supplementing missed runs with cycling or swimming as I just want to run).

Delighted to hear you got good news on the health front and it comes at a good time when you can start base building over the Winter :)
    diego_b wrote: »
    Guess a good lesson learned ahead of what should be a cross country debut in the Kerry Masters at the weekend...start off easy enough and maybe let the race come to you a bit. I've never raced cross country before so no clue what I am getting but certainly lapped is one thing. Not sure if we have enough for a team in the Under 50 age group from my club but been trying to encourage current/lapsed members to give it a go. Anyways, will see what Sunday brings.

I'm making my debut at cross country this weekend too :):) Go us and best of luck.

Delighted to hear you got good news on the health front and it comes at a good time when you can start base building over the Winter :)
    I'm making my debut at cross country this weekend too :):) Go us and best of luck.

Thanks Neady! Best of luck to you XC'ing this weekend! If everyone who has signed up turns up we have an under 50s team...I'll have to give it my best as I'm the slowest of the 4 of us so can't be slacking. Hopefully it goes well for you now.

Wednesday 03-10-2018

Plan had easy 20min Warm-Up, 6x 1600m (one mile)@ 105-110% of GMP w/90sec Recoveries Between Each, Easy 10-15min Warm-Down

Busy with juvenile coaching after work, I could have went out in the dark at 8pm to do the session above but wouldn't sleep well after it so carried it over till Thursday.

Thursday 04-10-2018

Carried over session from Wednesday, this time 6 miles in the 7:55-8:20 range for the intervals.

After a small battle with my daughter and her school homework, some days she flies through it and the other days it can be end of days stuff trying to just get it done I started my run just after 6pm. In total it was 10 miles in 1:26:44, target mile splits for the intervals was 7:55-8:20 (actual was 8:00, 8:02, 7:54, 8:00, 7:59, 7:57). Legs felt fine after my cross country running on Tuesday which I was happy with, I guess maybe that was down to the ground I trained on this time being slightly more suitable than what I used last time and maybe some nature of getting used to it.

Friday 05-10-2018

Rest day

Saturday 06-10-2018

Tralee parkrun in 24:37 @ 8:03min/mi
    Ran this a bit easier again that usual ahead of cross country running the next day. That's run 49 on the books now so my next run (won't be this weekend as we're supposed to be doing the 10K in Donadea) will be my 50th.

Total mileage for the week: 36 miles

Waiting patiently for your XC update :)

Waiting patiently for your XC update :)

Haha you first!!

Sunday 07-10-2018

Kerry County XC Championships

Having never raced cross country so didn't know what to expect from this. Had only done 3 XC runs in prep for this and of course should have been more but hard to marry so so marathon training with xc training. Early enough start with needing to be in Caherciveen around 10:15. Kerry being a large county to drive across/down (plus no motorways) it takes around 90mins driving from my place to there (for comparison I can reach my parents house in Laois in 120mins).

On the day we had a lot of juvenile athletes running and also 9 male masters running, 3 o65 (who secured, 1st, 2nd, 3rd place medals and a gold team medal, well done on your bronze Da). We'd only two over 50s (both secured individual medals, 1 gold and 1 bronze) and then 4 under 50s (me being the youngest and hoping not to get lapped enroute by a clubmate!). I had tried pretty hard during the week or so to rope (and recruit to the club) other under 50 members and over 50s (to try make up an over 50s team) but no joy. Least we had the four needing to score for the under 50s team so we just had to get around!

Unders 50s and over 50s (but not over 65 men who were run alongside the women's race) were started at the same time with us under 50s to run 7K and over 50s to run 5K. We were told it would be 7.5 laps (for the 7K). I'd done a recce during a walking/jogging warm up to check the route and surface. Surface was all good but still planned to wear my xc spikes but with just a 6mm spike. The route was basically a rectangular route around 3 different (two GAAs and one astro pitch) in the sports complex....half of the route had a decent bit of climbing in it with a drag, short snappy hill, flat and then another short/step climb on that side of the loop. The second hill being a real killer during the route. The rest of the route was flat albeit softish in spots and then a short very fast downhill before into the uphill part.

The start was fast but quite quickly the laps have started to blur into each other (I think it was towards end of lap 2 or 3 that I got lapped and they went by at some pace). Certainly for me the first lap was the fastest and then after that it was running in your position trying to figure out where you were at. Having the over 50s in the same race was a bit annoying as I did end up playing tit for tat for half a lap with someone who wasn't actually racing the 7K but I let him go then as he was faster than me! Onto the fourth lap or so I was finding the hills a bit of a slog but the juvenile athletes were at the base of the second tougher hill and the cheers from them helped get up in as best a piece/pace as I could. I am hoping they didn't hear the swears out of me on what turned out to be my second last climb....it was really hurting at this stage and getting up that hill at what I thought was two more goes at it were not pleasant. I was so happy then when next going through the start/finish area to spot 6.2K on my watch and then it dawned on my that I actually only had to do the hill one last time (the 7.5 laps had somehow become 7.5K in my head!)....and promptly probably ran it up the fastest since the first lap. Funny how it goes but I was delighted that this was my last lap and was opening it up my best now to finish strong. There wasn't really anyone around me during the second half of the race so I just ran it a consistent/hard effort. On that last lap I spotted a guy up the course ahead of me that I recognised as an m35 from previous track championships. He seemed to be slowing so I was pretty sure I could pass him before the end and managed to do so, as it turned out I was actually lapping him but I wasn't certain on that as I missed his position at the start to be certain of that. Ran my best through the finish then and glad to be done. I finished in fourth place out of the four under 50s but that was to be expected as each can run 5K in the 20-21 min range, on my best day I'm only around sub 22 for 5K (much work needed) at the moment.
    I enjoyed the race and certainly plan to do it again, happy enough to run at the county level in my age category but having done one Munster road race but I will be leaving the Munster XC to the proper fast people. I've a marathon to get over first anyways!

I hadn't a clue what way we were with the team results as there seemed to a be a good few An Riocht athletes in the race but across various age groups. Watched some of our club juveniles athlete run extremely well (class seeing of them doing really well to nick a spot right at the finish line and another doing really well to hold onto the position he had) and secure a good few medals for the club. I then checked the masters results and was surprised to learn that my team got two medals, silver medal for intermediate team and silver medal for under 50s master team. Not really sure how the intermediate award came about really and what was required to be classed an an intermediate team but I think some officials from the various clubs agreed before hand...I wasn't paying too much attention but just planning to run! I also was told that I got a bronze medal for o35 men (which was later upgraded to a silver by the time I got home), can't say I saw any drug testers there on the day so not idea how that worked....guess someone gave their wrong age category when they finished and it was corrected afterwards. Nice to go home with 3 shiny county medals!

0.3mi w/u in 3:40 @ 11:31min/mi
    Kerry Cross Country Championships 7K in 33:35 @ 7:54min/mi
    0.45mi c/d in 5:47 @ 12:50min/mi

5.1 miles for the day

Monday 08-10-2018

Had my car with me so headed up to the phoenix park after work with the idea to run somewhere in the 1hr 20-30mins/10 mile range (having not done a long run the previous day) on the DCM route depending on the time I had. I was staying with my brother so was hoping to see my niece before she went to bed as hadn't seen her for a few months. She was fast asleep when I got there but I got some time with her the next morning before going to work, lovely little dot at 6 months old now.
    Back to run I parked up near the Garda HQ and ran the small bit on the North Road before turning onto Lords walk and onwards from there up to Castleknock. Had to stop for a second around Farmleigh as needed to get my bearings for a second (check phone) as I was going to take a left turn when I needed to go straight to continue on to Mount Sackville (normally following a crowd whenever I've ran this before so didn't quite have the route down) and then down at Mount Sackville I took the wrong gate but no matter back into the park and down to Chapelizod gate enroute. Took in the S bends then and around by the Wellington monument. It was pitch dark at this stage (head torch that was in my car would have been useful of course) so I just ran down to the parkgate entrance and back to the car then. No ill effects from the cross country racing the previous day so all good and it was 8.6 miles easy in 80mins @ 9:18min/mi.

Tuesday 09-10-2018

Rest day, traveling back home from Dublin.

Wednesday 10-10-2018

Plan had Easy 20min Warm-Up, 8-10 x 800m (half-mile)@ Yasso Pace w/ 90sec Recoveries, Easy 20min Warm-Down…carried this over to Thursday and just did 4.3 miles easy in 40:30 @ 9:24min/mi before juvenile training.

Thursday 11-10-2018

Speed work carried over from Wednesday, total distance of 8.8 miles in 1:17:32.

Target time for the 0.5mi splits was 3:50-4:00, actual was 3:58, 3:55, 3:55, 3:56, 3:57, 3:58, 3:55, 3:56.
    This run felt pretty good and could have pushed it more but was aiming to run it consistent effort/pace.

Friday 12-10-2018

Rest day

Saturday 13-10-2018

Donadea 10K with my wife, had signed up for this race back in August with the idea to run it with my wife and hopefully help her get a 10K pb coming off the back of her training for the Dingle Half marathon. Unfortunately between a very busy few weeks for her with work (accountants and year end!) and having a heavy cold her training has been a non runner for a few weeks. On the day the conditions were fairly bad now with the rain lashing down (no wind though which was nice).
    I'd a bin bag on me starting the race and I actually ran the race up till around 8/9K with it on me as I couldn't warm up. Got a few comments (all nice) from some of the marshalls as we ran the route, I'd forgotten to bring a running jacket with me when coming up from Kerry so the bag did the job very well. My wife had a running jacket on but took it off after the first few K's.

The route was different to the 50K from Feb but we did take in some of the loop we ran back then (we ran two smaller loops enroute this time). We ran the first two K out on the main road and then ran into the woods but then due to the growth of the foliage in the intervening months I couldn't get my bearings much at all barring for maybe 2/3 times when we ran the same (or at least the opposite direction) on something I recognised from before. I was pacing her for a 1:05 finish but ended up being a 1:07 but she was happy with that and in fairness the route and surface (gravel) had enough challenges in it to try get a pb on. Running it all without stopping was a good achievement given her recent training level.
    Enjoyed the race a lot, lovely medal so yet another great showing from Donadea RC who know how to run a race. Plenty of food afterwards with soup, sandwiches, buns, cakes etc for all.

0.7mi warm up in 8:55min/mi @ 13min/mi

Donadea 10K in 1hr 7mins @ 10:45min/mi

Total mileage for the week: 33.7 miles

Sunday 14-10-2018

Plan had easy 20min, Marathon Pace Tempo Run (60min @ 95-100% of Goal Marathon Pace), Easy 20min Warm-Down. Up at my parents place as we'd a christening to attend to in Dublin so needed to get this run done early. Was on the road just before 9am, pretty cold so had gloves on for the first mile. Ideal conditions for DCM day if we can be so lucky, cold snap in the air for the first few hours of brightness at least.

11.1 miles in total which broke down as:

2.1mi in 20mins @ 9:29min/mi
    6.9mi in 60mins @ 8:42min/mi
    2.1mi in 20mins @ 9:24min/mi

Ran some of this run along the old N7 on the road between Borris and Roscrea, there's a spot near Ballaghmore Castle when you're on that road that every few hundred meters you spot a headstone from a bad accident over the years gone by. Some terrible accidents happened on that road and on the other side between Borris and Mountrath also, it's one thing when running that you get to see such things that often as you drive by in the car you no don't really notice.

Monday 15-10-2018

Rest day

Tuesday 16-10-2018

4.8 miles easy in 45:37 @ 9:30min/mi, nice run near home this and would have liked to have ran for longer but no point chasing miles now. Spotted a pheasant in the first few mins of the run (second time this has happened of late) and then a fox after another 30mins running around 7pm. Don't usually see them out so early but it's pretty dark at that stage of the evening now.

Well done at the XC, you fared better than me with your haul of medals :D We got team silver and I got bronze O35 so not too shabby. I absolutely loved it, there's no better feeling than running without a watch and just racing those around you - really teaches you how to listen to your body. We were out again last Saturday at the first round of the Connacht league so two more to go :)

• Advertisement

Well done at the XC, you fared better than me with your haul of medals :D We got team silver and I got bronze O35 so not too shabby. I absolutely loved it, there's no better feeling than running without a watch and just racing those around you - really teaches you how to listen to your body. We were out again last Saturday at the first round of the Connacht league so two more to go :)

Thank you kindly, well done on the your medals! For sure there’s definitely something simple and enjoyable to it. Thinking of incorporating more on the grass running into my general training (my club has access to much better training field now so could use that) and planning to more do more cross country for sure. It would suit me better if it could be all held maybe late Nov/Dec so to avoid DCM! Good luck in the leagues...update the oul log as well!

Wednesday 18-10-2018

Plan had Easy 20min Warm-Up, 2x 3200m (2 miles half-mile)@ 105-110% Goal Marathon Pace with 90sec Recovery, Easy 20min Warm-Down.

Juvenile training was brought forward to 6-7 as the floodlights in the field out of action. Meant I got home early enough so got my run started just after 8pm. First run of season in total darkness with the head torch, went well now aside from one section of the road where I ran across what I guess was a load of cow sh*te as cattle cross the road there and despite looking like nothing much the small bit of dirt was pretty slippy for one step but survived! Had a funny one at juvenile training last week and just happened to mention Usain Bolt to a kid when talking about sprint distances....the child asked me who Usain Bolt was. No matter how famous or successful you are retirement must sting when young kids don't know who you are!

Any back to my run, it was 8.4 miles in 1:13:17 in total with the target for the two miles split in the 15:50-16:40 range, actual time was 15:45 and 15:45 for those.

Thursday 18-10-2018

Rest day

Friday 19-10-2018

Nothing

Saturday 20-10-2018

Tralee parkrun in 23:03.
    50th parkrun for me and as typical with Tralee parkrun I got presented with the laminated picture/poster of myself and some personal stats (suitable pictures selected always show people with a good gurn on and mine fits the bill). Also lists the parkruns you've done and the different volunteer rolls that you have completed. Nice to hit the milestone after 4 years since I did my first parkrun. I managed 24 in the previous 3 years to this, Naas was my old home parkrun and I ran that course 6 times. Tralee is my home parkrun for the last 3.5 years and I have now 30 runs on that course. Doing a new years day double this year between Tralee and Listowel I had a thought that with a bit off effort I could get the 50 milestone this year...so 26 parkruns under the belt for the year so far and hit it a few months ahead of schedule. Glad to have it more of a regular part of my training week and for DCM this year I've used them to tire my legs a bit more ahead of the long run on Sunday so will see how that theory works on Sunday.
    I wanted to run my 50th at a decent clip so worked out as 23:03 so happy enough with that, got my pb (21:50) back in May so have a good bit of work post DCM to get back to that sort of pace and hopefully faster.

Total mileage for the week: 27.8 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Congrats on the 50th! Hopefully cya on Sunday?

Singer wrote: »
    Congrats on the 50th! Hopefully cya on Sunday?

Ta very much, I take it same bat channel, same bat place afterwards! Best of luck for the day.

Second attempt at this as boards failed me last time and lost the update.

Sunday 21-10-2018

Easy 20min, Marathon Pace Tempo Run (40min @ 95-100% of Goal Marathon Pace), Easy 25min c/d.

2.15mi in 20min @ 9:17min/mi
    4.63mi in 40min @ 8:39min/mi
    2.62mi in 25min @ 9:39min/mi

Monday 22-10-2018

4.3mi in 40min @ 9:19min/mi
    Brought my run forward from Tuesday as travelling to Dublin first thing the next day and wouldn't have time to run with plans for up there.

Tuesday 23-10-2018

Rest day, flew up to Dublin in the morning for work and caught up with some friends (and also DCM 2018 Novice alooof) that were home from Canada for a little bit before they headed home on Thursday.

Wednesday 24-10-2018

(Fartlek)- Easy 20min Warm-Up, 8x60sec ‘Fast’, 60sec ‘Easy’, Easy 15min Warm-Down

Staying in Dublin city centre so did my run before work and took in the area around Stephen's Green and the DCM route in general there including the first mile of the race and also along Mount St. Probably should have stuck to my initial idea of doing the fartlek work around the Green as it was a challenge doing it on the footpaths and not getting in the way of people.
    Flew home to Kerry after work.

Total of 5.5 miles in 50min

Thursday 25-10-2018

On a half day from work. Brought forward my run from Friday as was going to be traveling up the country again on Friday. 3.2 miles in 30min @ 9:17min/mi. That wrapped my DCM training for this year.

Friday 26-10-2018

Rest day, headed up to expo in Dublin and in and out in around an hour in the early evening. Favoured this option so could get away with doing nothing at all on Saturday.

Saturday 27-10-2018

Rest day.

Total mileage for the week: 22.4 miles

Cards on the table for me, starting the race with a goal A of 3:50 (p.b. is 3:43:41 so not at attempt at that), goal B of 3:54 (to still be faster than last year), goal C get around.
    Training has gone fine, thought it would be harder to manage but managed all sessions and all long runs bar one (did cross country that day instead). Missing some of the easier stuff as I was under instruction to keep my mileage lower for a few months, that time has passed now.
    Planning to ease into the race with a slow start and work the negative split if I can, not looking to use the 3:50 pacers as would expect to be 30-40 seconds behind them at half way but will keep an eye on the pink balloons. It would be nice to pass them this year rather than them pass me as was the case last year when the wheels came off at my 3:40 attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

All the very best David. Its been a testy year so enjoy this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow D, have a great race. Enjoy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Sensible plan as ever D. Hope it goes well, and seeya after!

Advertisement