Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAI were paid after Thierry Henry handball, says John Delaney

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

C'mon now lads. They have the good of the game at heart. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,066 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Simply he is a politician, who fails to make any tough decisions.

At least Denis O'Brien loves him

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/09/05/john-delaney-could-run-anything/

That's a ringing endorsement if ever there was one /s

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

mikeym wrote: »
    Can the FAI'S accounts can be checked by an independant person to see if there is fraud?

Independently audited by PWC as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Me thinks John Delaney dosen't see the ,FBI shaped FIFA investigation, freight train heading his way. Oblivious to the implications if they start digging into FIFA's records over this! You would hope they wont just stop at the awarding of the world cup bribes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Was all over Sky News few mins ago.

Could this be classed as a bribe or pay off?

Attention seeking is the correct term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

This is gonna grow legs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

.......and it didn't show up on the FAI accounts. ...

So which account was the money just resting in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Just resting in my account, a high yield savings account, until I moved it on... etc, etc. :/

Delaney OUT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭SummerSummit

.......and it didn't show up on the FAI accounts. ...

So which account was the money just resting in?

Yeah I had a look at the YE 2010 accounts. It has not been accounted for as a loan or as any other creditor/deferred income.

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The FAI got 5 million quid for nothing. They had no case at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

awec wrote: »
    The FAI got 5 million quid for nothing. They had no case at all.

Why the need to keep hush hush if there was no wrong doing?.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

when they release this you just know there is something bigger being hidden

FBI jackets and balaclavas

tick tock tick tock

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Yeah I had a look at the YE 2010 accounts. It has not been accounted for as a loan or as any other creditor/deferred income.

The FAI have said they didn't consider it a loan so they're hardly going to account for it as one.

Fifa are saying it was a loan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

JD buys cans for fans, wears a green tie and stewards the domestic league fantastically while being a top Waterford manc.

Give the guy a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Why the need to keep hush hush if there was no wrong doing?.
    Becasue FIFA asked them to keep quiet about it. Cash for incorrect refereeing decisions is setting a costly precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

The whole debacle of the Henry handball is one of the most embarrassing episodes ever for this country. The antics of Delaney made me ashamed to be Irish. It is now made even worse by the fact that FAI were 'paid off' by FIFA to keep them from whinging.
    There was never any possibility of a court case. If that were the case, every other match would end up in court over some referring decision.
    Delaney is a national embarrassment, and a vastly overpaid one at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Roger_007 wrote: »
    The whole debacle of the Henry handball is one of the most embarrassing episodes ever for this country. The antics of Delaney made me ashamed to be Irish. It is now made even worse by the fact that FAI were 'paid off' by FIFA to keep them from whinging.
    There was never any possibility of a court case. If that were the case, every other match would end up in court over some referring decision.

I think you may be taking tabloid fodder a bit too seriously...it wasn't like the entire country demanded a replay or anything like that at the time. It was all a storm in a teacup..Delaney is embarrassing but he's par for the course, it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

people are forgetting what was really dodgy about those playoffs was the seeding being changed so that portugal and france did not play each other. that was done at the 11th hour under the shadiest possible circumstances.

that and the handball made irelands case for a replay, and was something that fifa was desperate to not have bought up and analysed in court as it opens the door to fifa having specific goals and objectives for specific teams.

the 'fair play to him' brigade on here and elsewhere make me sick. this is mickey mouse backward stuff that i come to expect from people in powerful places in this country. oh year and just to put everything in context delaney is on €410k a year. more than his spanish and italian counterparts combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So john delany is on €410k per year yet dennis obrien pays for the coach?

• Advertisement

Soooo.......how much is it to hire a bus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

raymann wrote: »
    people are forgetting what was really dodgy about those playoffs was the seeding being changed so that portugal and france did not play each other. that was done at the 11th hour under the shadiest possible circumstances.

that and the handball made irelands case for a replay, and was something that fifa was desperate to not have bought up and analysed in court as it opens the door to fifa having specific goals and objectives for specific teams.

the 'fair play to him' brigade on here and elsewhere make me sick. this is mickey mouse backward stuff that i come to expect from people in powerful places in this country. oh year and just to put everything in context delaney is on €410k a year. more than his spanish and italian counterparts combined.

It does seem rich that Delaney is on about the need to reform FIFA when he ignored most of the findings of The Genesis Report and the need to reform within the FAI.

And dont worry, some of us will never forget that slight of hand about the seeding.

Menas wrote: »
    It does seem rich that Delaney is on about the need to reform FIFA when he ignored most of the findings of The Genesis Report and the need to reform within the FAI.

And dont worry, some of us will never forget that slight of hand about the seeding.

the fact is that all of this stuff is more sophisticated that people just trousering money, which seems to be the black and white kind of action that people on here are looking for.

delaney, the worlds highest paid football administrator, choose to take the cash rather than rock the boat. how is that acceptable from someone in his position? he should be looking at jail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

JoWhen people look at lads like Jack Warner and laugh at how they can still be supported in their own countries, remember we have John Delaney. He is just as ludicrous.
    Best point ever about Delaney. For all the "how can they vote for that crook Blatter" we keep hearing, remember all those allegedly sound lads across the FAI are keeping this looney crook in a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Should be easy enough to clear up I would have thought.

It should be included in the accounts for that year and if it was used to reduce the debts around Landsdowne Road, it should surely show up there, not being an inconsequential sum.

Shouldn't it.

By which you mean "we pay for the coach".

anncoates wrote: »

It should be included in the accounts for that year and if it was used to reduce the debts around Landsdowne Road, it should surely show up there, not being an inconsequential sum.

Shouldn't it.

If it doesn't appear in the accounts, then there are many more questions to answer.:eek:

Roger_007 wrote: »
    But the conclusion then is that there was some other stuff FIFA well very keen to keep out of court. The handball itself was likely only the PR end of the FAI's begging bowl for a payoff.

anncoates wrote: »

Shouldn't it.

thats the wrong think to focus on. even hes not stupid enough to try and steal the money. the issue here is at a key moment he had the ability to put fifa on the spot about the way certain teams are favoured over others, in this case the country he works for.

instead he choose to take the money and not rock the boat. this is the worlds highest paid football administrator, hes already robbing everyone blind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

This only came about after the whole corruption/whistle blower thing. Delaney is afraid that the FAI might be implicated in any admissions. Why was this not disclosed when it happened and why is there no specific mention of it in the financial statements when it happened.

There is no specific record of where the money went. This is as corrupt of any FIFA scandal, you can be sure that some of the money found its way into some deep pockets. Delaney has to go because of this along with the others who obviously benefitted from this.

Advertisement