Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese tourists

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

while on holiday in the US. We were wheeling our 14 month old little girl in her stroller

You're one of those, eh!? Flying with a baby..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Get in touch with the chinese embassy they are looking for names apparently http://rt.com/news/256845-china-tourists-blacklist-behavior/

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

We live in Sydney and have a blond blue eyed 3 year old daughter, she is also so pale that she pretty much looks like a porcelain doll, she is almost attacked when we go to places like Bondi or the Blue mountains, one day in Manly there was an older Asian woman walking alongside us taking a video, I thought she was trying to video the shop fronts so I slowed down and she slowed down with us, she was taking a video of my daughter.

I get sick of it, and so does she. She has very big blue eyes, which even caucasian people comment on, so she seems to be a huge lure for tourists.

We live in Sydney and have a blond blue eyed 3 year old daughter, she is also so pale that she pretty much looks like a porcelain doll, she is almost attacked when we go to places like Bondi or the Blue mountains, one day in Manly there was an older Asian woman walking alongside us taking a video, I thought she was trying to video the shop fronts so I slowed down and she slowed down with us, she was taking a video of my daughter.

I get sick of it, and so does she. She has very big blue eyes, which even caucasian people comment on, so she seems to be a huge lure for tourists.

If I were you id be smacking the camera's out of their hands at this stage, when they complain to the cops you just say you though they were a paedo taking pics of your kid

I do ask them to stop, and I carry her in my arms a lot. If she is walking or standing they try to pick her up for a photo. She really really hates that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I've a Japanese friend, and herself and her friends use whitening products in the same way we use fake tanning products. Having pale skin is very desirable, and you're not going to get much paler than us. I'm presuming this carries over to China.

I do ask them to stop, and I carry her in my arms a lot. If she is walking or standing they try to pick her up for a photo. She really really hates that!

:eek::eek::eek:

VinLieger wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:

I actually forget how much it freaked me out at the start. We have been here over 2 years and she has grown up with this sort of thing, so we are pretty much used to it, but, yes I can still see how creepy it is.

Although when we lived in Canada when my boys were younger the same happened to them, but, because they were so close in age they were presumed to be twins as well which gave them extra kudos. They are red heads, people used to rub their hair as they walked past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Rawr

Must be easy for Caucasian men to get laid in China.

Yes, it is. :D

(Although I did end up with one girl proposing to me by SMS a few weeks later.....so yea....can be tricky)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Digressing slightly, my wife and I went to Cambodia on our Honeymoon. Now she is milk bottle white.

The locals and Japanese tourists just stared at her constantly. I mean they would just blatantly stare. Our Cambodian tour guide said that they were looking and talking about her pale skin.

Pale skin is a big thing in Asia- you will see ads for skin whitening products.

Back in Cambodia as we sweated and melted around the jungle ruins, Japanese tourists were covered from head to toe and carried umbrellas- so they would not catch the sun.

By all accounts, having a tan/colouring is a sign of poverty i.e. you work outdoors in the fields.

Think about it- Japanese people are dark but they purposefully stay out of the sun to stay as white as can be and you very very rarely see a tanned/dark Japanese women.

As it used to be in Europe.

This tan business only really came in in the 70's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tony EH wrote: »
    As it used to be in Europe.

This tan business only really came in in the 70's.
    More like the 20s with Coco Chanel and her mates. But yep it's only a recent thing. Paler the better before that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I had the same thing happen to me and my sister. When we were kids in the 70s we lived in Indonesia. Both of us being blond/blue-eyed and freckled (in my case). Cars would literally stop next to us in the street and people would stare out the window.

We fucking hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Wibbs wrote: »
    More like the 20s with Coco Chanel and her mates. But yep it's only a recent thing. Paler the better before that.

I'm talking among the average Joe, Wibbs. I'm old enough to remember a time when someone coming home from Spain with a tan was a big deal for people in this country, for whom most of which a holiday abroad meant going to England.

There was a time when people didn't give a hoot about how tanned their skin was.

Frankly, I find the whole tan obsession among some people to be revolting.

Advertisement