Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The breaks even out in the long run

Options
  • 04-06-2015 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Right....I've decided to give this internet logging thing another shot with a new, fresh and hopefully fluff free log. I've got over all of my injuries and started to get some consistent training in if you can count consistency in weeks:pac: but it's a start and the best II've put together in a few months. Motivation is burning high at the minute so I'm going to strike while the iron is hot and try and keep it simple and hopefully progress on that methodology.

I've dropped all thoughts of running an Autumn marathon against my worst judgement and focus on the short long stuff, a contradiction to start off the log off on a trend that is sure to follow but hopefully, anybody who reads this will call me out on those contradictions where they can a reign me in. Honestly, any and all input is welcome and I won't take it personally, there's always room for improvement and that's what I'm looking for from this log.

The Gameplan going forward for this year is to focus on track for the next month in a buildup to Munster Outdoor 3000m steeplechase on the 28th June and then to start giving my full focus on the roads over 5/10k until XC season kicks off where I hope to run a full season for the first time. The plan training wise is to considerbly raise my mileage over the rest of the year and set me up to make a big attack on 2016, I know......a long time away yet but I refer you to the title of this log and see if it holds true:). The goal being to prove myself wrong and my coach right but we'll take that step by step and under wraps for the time being.

PB's

3k: 10:45(2014)
    5k: 18:34(2013)
    10k: 39:46(2014)
    HM: 1.26:26(2013)
    M: 3.15:29 (2013)

Will update my log tomorrow with what I have being doing for the last couple of weeks but the leaba is calling now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck with the log man, keep the toys in the pram this time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Monday 25th May- 7m Easy

Felt quite good on this one. Missed the long run over the weekend so that probably had a lot to do with the freshness but with a session coming up tomorrow and a late decision to race Friday evedidn't I thought it was the smart move to just keep this short and easy. No risks!

Tuesday 26th May- 7m inc. 6x400m w/45s recovery on Grass

Club session was calling tonight and I wasn't too sure what to do with the race coming up so the coach set me up with a toughie, well.....The type of sessions I struggle with the most which is hard 400's with short recovery. He didn't really want me to take it easy with a nice easy sharpener as I haven't done enough to be sharpening anything yet. The loop was was basically around 2 end to end soccer fields and stopping at the endline on the way back up. Had to tough this one on my own as the group were doing a different session.

Any help that the wind gave me for the first 150m+ quickly became a pain in the ass on the way back up the otherside andup the slight but tough hill when the quads and hamstrings are burning, no such thing as a flat soccer field around these here parts:rolleyes: but it was all about giving the legs a good blowout and the conditions didn't really matter at the end of the day.

Reps:

1. 81
    2. 84
    3. 83
    4. 83
    5. 84
    6. 78

Given the were on grass, I'm cutting myself some slack on the pace and I think the effort matched up to around an optimistic mile pace. I found it tough for the last 2 reps even if I did manage to pick it up on the last one. Happy with how it went and a nice ol session to blow the cobwebs off.:)

Wednesday 27th May- 6m Easy

Felt like absolute crap this morning. Those 400's took a big bite out of me especially my hamstrings:eek:. Knew it straight away when I opened my eyes, struggled to get out of the bed but alas, a run was on the cards so I had to suck it up and get on with. I'm not going to say I enjoyed this one but it was probably for the best that I got out and did it to loosenen out the legs....I think.

Thursday 27th May- 5m Easy

Still feeling some rigor mortis like symptoms in my legs. Just a bit of DOMS which is progress to be fair, haven't had that feeling in a while but it was making me slighty nervous about the race tomorrow and whether I'd survive the drive down, nevermind the race. Got some more relief from this run once I got going.

Friday 28th May- John Buckley Graded Meet 3000m(11:30)

First ever track meet outside of Limerick so I was excited if not bricking it of what lay ahead today as I didn't know what to expect except I'd have to run 3k which is what it all was at the end of the day but it did have a different feel about it.

No A or B race for the 3k tonight so 19 of us took to the startline all at the one time. I wasn't too bothered about that to be honest but it was funny to see just how quickly the top lads disappeared and then reappeared again only to lap me:pac:. I fell asleep just after the mile split which I felt comfortable going through at a pretty solid clip but I let my concentration slip from there to the finish and it cost me a lot of time.

It's something I'm going to have to get used to, I'm still finding it mentally tough to run on the track but that should change as I get more experience. I loved it to be honest, great experience and nice to try something outside of my comfort zone so I'm hoping to get in another 1500m and 3000mSC before the big day at the end of the month for Munster track.

Sunday 30th May- 12m Long Run

Felt much better today. No DOMS or anyother side effects from Friday so I was happy out with this. Not much more of note for this one. Solid!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Looking forward to reading the log NE.

Monday 1st June- 7m Easy

Felt ok! The legs are coming around a bit, said that a million times before but I've turned the tide on my muscle atrophy and really starting to tone up again while holding a good weight, for a runner anyway:pac: at just under 11 1/2 stone which is the highest I've been since Christmas. The best news being that my iron levels are back up so that can only be good for my training and energy levels.:)

Tuesday 2nd June- 9m inc. 10x75s @3k pace w/60s recovery

400's again!:eek: well....nearly anyway but with a more forgiving pace and recovery. The lads were doing were doing more quantity of these at a slower pace so I just went with 10 at in and around 3k pace. Man, those recoveries fly past but I felt pretty good with these this evening. Obviously not easy but I coped much better than last week. No floppin at the end of these.

Wednesday 3rd June-5m Easy

Nothing hectic, an easy ol trot to shake the legs out.

Friday 5th June- 8m Easy

Felt fresh and reinvigorated after yesterdays rest day and ready to take on a few hills. Headed to Knocfierna loop for this which has some real biters to navigate along the way but the reward is a sweet 2 mile downhill stretch to finish. Hills aren't my strongpoint but this went down well so I'm happy out.

Saturday 6th June- 10m Easy

Collapsed into bed last night so this one was an early excursion into the dawn at at 4:50am. Was going to make tracks with the lads later on but I wasn't too arsed about waiting around until 8 so I said I would head out on my own and get this run in. Felt good if not a little groggy for the first few miles but slowly got up to pace mentally. Nice little zip in the legs and was one of those runs where I felt better finishing it off than starting it.

Back on the track Monday for a 1500m for the first time which should be good craic. Not feeling any real pressure to race the ghost of my past self as I haven't raced the distance before so It should be interesting and at least a PB for the first time this year:) if I finish the bloody thing that is:D

A sub 5 clocking would be a bonus!

• Advertisement

Monday 8th June- 7m inc. 1500m race(4:59-5:00)

Unofficial at the minute so I'm cutting it tight on hitting but might have hit a target for the first time in nearly a year, wasn't wearing a watch and the lap counter shouted 5 just as I crossed the line so I either made or missed it by fractions of a second. Absolutely buzzing all the same and I'd be uber pedantic to be annoyed if I just missed out. Huge improvement from last week!:)

Will write up some sort of a report tomorrow but all I want to do is pass out now.

John Buckley Graded Meet 1500m (5:01.01)

:rolleyes: one hundredth of a second out from my guesstimate of finishing time, I'm now fully convinced that the timing companies have it in for me:pac:

I was really really looking forward to this meet all week after having a good experience in the 3000 last week even if the time didn't live up to my expectations but I felt it benefited mahoosively from that experience as major mistake was a mental lapse and I knew there was more in the legs so I was pumped about finding out how much more was there.

The plan was simple, crack on out at 5 minute pace and don't get caught up in anyone else's race early on. It was probably the most realistic targets I've set in a while as the workouts over the last 2 weeks have predicted that I should be in shape for a sub-5, it was just a coincidence that the predicted a nice round number....I swear:) still would've went for it even if they didn't though.

Had the choice to either go in the B or C race, The B race being touted as 4:50 to 5:10 which I thought better of about 2 seconds before the gun went off with the starter roaring at me to make up my mind. Dodged a bullet, the slowest in the B race was 4:40 so I would've being lucky to last 200 before being all by my lonesome out the back.

Turned out there was 21 in the C race which I was stoked with to be honest, we could barely fit across the track lining up but I knew there's was always going to be someone around me there or thereabouts. First thoughts as the gun went was to just leave everyone off and not get caught up in the mess of the first 100m or so. Managed to hold myself back and went through the first 400 in 78 which was almost perfectly on pace and feeling pretty good.400m-78

The challenge for the next 400 was to simply keep that going and not lose the head and take off. I'd now moved into 5th and made an attempt to pass the guy ahead at 600m on the outside but everytime I raised the pace a little to get around him, he would do the same and I had to make a decision on whether it was worth it or not which I didn't think it was, way too early in the race to be making any rash decisions so I gently took my foot off the pedal and let him off before tucking back into the first lane. Second 400m down in 79, holding the pace but starting to become slightly strained 800m-2:37

The 3rd lap was a big one and where I really had to start digging in, constantly reminding myself to keep it going and not giving myself a chance to zone out and let the pace slip even though by the time I'd got to the 1k mark, my legs were starting to wobble and the air was turning into treacle. Managed to keep it going and split the 400 in 79, almost metronomic pacing through 1200, not bad for a guy with no rhythm:)1200m- 3:56

I was on pace for 4:55 with 300 to go and still holding it with passing the 200 to go line. All I needed was a 43 second last 200 and the sub-5 was in the bag but I started to die a death on the last bend and probably relaxed too much in knowing that was all I needed. The legs were had turned to jelly down the home straight and felt like bathing in boiling hot oil as the announcer was counting 4:51...4:52....4:53.... and a group of 4 came barreling past me as I tried my best to sneak under but it wasn't to be.

Still really happy with it and a second really isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. There's definitely more there for the taking the next time out and I've no doubt a sub-5 mile is there for the taking if I can find a late summer race.

On the criticism side of things, I really should've nailed that 4:55, I was in a perfect position to do so with 200 to go and I let it slip with another mental hiccup but I did run this much stronger than the 3000 so that's a solid step in the right direction but there's more in there to be got. I could get used to running middle distance yet:)

Up next, my first shot at the 3000 steeple next week!:eek: I'm bricking it, being watching way too many steeple fails on youtube. Should be comedy gold for anyone watching at least.

Tuesday 9th June - 6m Easy

Stiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Nice work! It's really easy to zone out in the third lap isn't it?! Those paces were sh*t-hot even too. Just got to replicate that myself next week :eek: (albeit a tad slower :) )

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Nice work! It's really easy to zone out in the third lap isn't it?! Those paces were sh*t-hot even too. Just got to replicate that myself next week :eek: (albeit a tad slower :) )

Thanks! Yeah, I think it's the one that makes or breaks the race because you're starting to hurt, the effort level just skyrockets and if you don't pay attention the race is gone, that's being drilled into me for the last week.

No bother to you DG! You've been nailing those 400's for the last few weeks, the body clock is well and truly on point by now I'd say.:)

Great performance E, well done ya big track fairy!!

• Advertisement

Wednesday 10th June- 8m Easy

Had a session with my sports therapist last night for a bit of 'light maintenance' so the legs were on the heavy side this evening, decided to leave it until the evening to try and squeeze out that little bit of extra recovery. Didn't help much but they were good enough to go. Quite enjoyed this one to be fair, summer is finally here and the legs had freshened out by the time I had the 5 mile loop done. Quite pleased with this:)

Thursday 11th June- 7m inc. 2x (400, 600,800 over hurdles) w/1 min rec during reps, 3 min between sets

:eek: :D Sounds relatively simple on the face of things but this was an absolute monster during it. Setup 6 hurdles per lap, 3 on each straight at 3 foot high and 25m between each. The goal was to run the 400s at 3-5s faster than steeple pace, the 600's at goal pace and the 800's at 3-5s slower than GP.

If I had any doubts about how tough the steeplechase is going to be, they were vanquished tonight.

First set:

400m w/6 hurdles: 1:28 (way too fast)
    600m w/9 hurdles: 2:27
    800m w/12 hurdles: 3:19

Second set:

400m w/6 hurdles: 1:33
    600m w/9 hurdles: 2:25
    800m w/12 hurdles: 3:21

It's one of the most bizzare sessions I have ever run but I was like a little kid out there this evening:). Even doing these at near 10k pace was a huge challenge for me, it took so much energy to get over those hurdles. I can't go fast enough to clear them with less effort but going slower makes it harder and more energy sapping on the jumps.

I felt like death out there after the first set even though I was only moving close to 10k pace but I loved it. :) definitely need to go out slower than 10k pace next Tuesday and see if there's anything left in the tank come the last lap or two.

Why the steeplechase dude, just curious?

tang1 wrote: »
    Why the steeplechase dude, just curious?

Coach tricked me into doing it It's something different that I haven't tried before so why not give it a shot. I've always thought of it as an adventure and it's billing as the toughest T+F event so really, I just want to get a taste for it and see if it lives up to the title.

Coach tricked me into doing it It's something different that I haven't tried before so why not give it a shot. I've always thought of it as an adventure and it's billing as the toughest T+F event so really, I just want to get a taste for it and see if it lives up to the title.

Scratching an itch so to say, get ya.

Scratching an itch so to say, get ya.

Yep, but I did get tricked into doing too just like I did with my first marathon.

Coach: "come on lads! It'll be great craic and something different, I'll do it too!"

Everyone: Ah shur why not, we're all in!"

3 months later. Everyone else:"Nah"

Stubborn dumbass here:"Balls! I have to this yolk now, it's stuck in my head"

That and the fact I do want to try it out now.

Yep, but I did get tricked into doing too just like I did with my first marathon.

Coach: "come on lads! It'll be great craic and something different, I'll do it too!"

Everyone: Ah shur why not, we're all in!"

3 months later. Everyone else:"Nah"

Stubborn dumbass here:"Balls! I have to this yolk now, it's stuck in my head"

That and the fact I do want to try it out now.

I'd be the exact same, once an idea is in the head theres no moving it.

Friday 12th June- 7m Easy

Felt good! quite shocked by that because I expecting all sorts of new aches and pains after the hurdles last night but had zero stiffness or tiredness. I think that's because the pace of hurdling the night before didn't really stretch me but and all the effort was in the lungs. Good!:)

Saturday-Monday Away so no running

Tuesday 16th June- John Buckley Graded Meet 3000m (10:57ish)

Another big improvement this week. Not sure about the time as I ran it watchless but I was definitely under 11 this time and finally nailed a target for the first time in ages. A 33 second improvement on my last attempt at 3000m from 2 weeks ago so I'm chuffed with that and the fact that I'm starting to put show improvement week on week now and and not just once off races.

The steeplechase didn't go ahead as only 2 had entered so I didn't get the opportunity to test the waters which was a downer and a relief at the same time to be honest. Still, really happy with how the evening went so I can't complain.:)

Might put together some sort of report tomorrow but I don't remember much of what happened.

John Buckley 3000m (10:58)

Pre-Race:

The big day or so I thought, the steeplechase. I was a nervous wreck all day in the anticipation of what was to come, up there with my first marathon for pre-race jitters and thoughts of not making it to finish, going down like a lame calf over the hurdles and not knowing what kind off pain to expect. I was still looking forward to the challenge but I knew there was a chance it might not go ahead which probably took a little edge off. I'm not going to lie, a little cowardly part of me wanted it to be called off:o

The plan was to meet up with with the lads at the border and make a break for it all make tracks together on the now weekly roadtrip. We arrived down in CIT about 7 which was a good hour and a half or more before the start of anyone's race:confused: so It was just a case of trying to burn time by arsing around and talking smack. Made our way to registration to find out the good/bad news that the steeple wasn't going ahead as only 2 people had entered which was disappointing but not too surprising. So the choice was 800m or 3000m flat. The smart choice was always going to be the 3000m but the lure of the boards round number table was tugging on my ego:D to take a shot at the 800m. Eventually.....I made the right choice and put my name down for the 3000m but not without changing my mind every 2 minutes.

The Race:

There was 40 signed up for the 3000m so it was divided into 2 races, me being in the B race obviously which was a godsend this time around as I watched an 18 year old romp home to the win in the A race in a sub-8:30 clocking, a fast enough pace to have put me in near danger of being lapped twice in a 7.5 lap race:D.

Seen a few familiar faces at the start as we lined up so the plan was to tuck in behind a group who had run the 3k 2 weeks ago and keep contact for as long as possible. The first lap was quick and down in 82 seconds and it was time to settle in. I was part of a nice group of 5 here and was willing to go with as long as I had some company instead of finding myself in the all too familiar position of being isolated. I lost all sense of splits and just focused on the back of the St. Finbarrs guy in front from here on.

The legs were feeling flat early on(no doubt, the weekends exploits had something to do with that:rolleyes:, there was no real pop and my cadence was higher than usual but I was tipping away at a good clip for me so I wasn't that worried. Just trying the keep the focus onpushing hard and not leaving the tether snap from the guy ahead who was cconstantly pulling away on the bends and I would reel him back in on the straights. I hadn't a clue how many laps we had done so as the effort really started to rise, I took my first look at the lap counter who was holding up 3 fingers as I passed which was encouraging, not too far to go passed through my mind so I picked up the pace.

The last two laps were tough and I had to really dig in but I got passed for the first time. And as I started the last lap, I could hear 2 people coming up behind me and eventually onto my shoulder with 270m to go. I made a burst to go but my stomach and legs weren't playing ball. They went past with about 130m left and as I made my way down the finishing straight, I could hear the all too familiar 50.....51....52:eek: This time, I managed to get the legs pumping and reeled of a sprint finish to just nip in under 11 for a 10:58 finish.

My pre-race anxiety turned out to be founded as I ended up bent over a steeple barrier but in a much more pleasant way.

Thoughts:

Really happy with this. Beaming to get under 11 and hit my pre-race target. Only 13 seconds away from a PB which I ran 2 weeks after a 1:27 half and a week before a sub-40 10k last year so I'm taking that as a good sign. A 32 second improvement on 2 weeks ago which is huge so I'm on the right track.

My 1500m from last week shows the speed is there so there should be plenty of room for improvement on endurance over the next month or two. All heading in the right direction.:)

Wed 17th June- 7m Easy(8:14)

The body was in decent enough ol nick and up for this today, no lingering hangover from yesterdays race. I don't know if it's the surface the shorter distance or what but I'm not experiencing the same level of stiffness or fatigue I usually do after a race. Whatever it is, I'm willing to accept it at face value:)

Dusted off and strapped on the garmin today for the first time in nearly 2 months, for no other reason than seeing something worth 300 bucks lying idly in the drawer. Can't bring myself to sell it, must have a hoarding complex or else I'm a hypochondriac so I might as well get some wear out of it but not look at it.:D

Thursday 18th June- 10m Run To The Barn Progression

5 o chlog start for this today:eek: Didn't sleep well last night so no time like the present to get out and see how it would go down. The plan (The makey uppy as I go along one that is) was a 10 mile easy run but I decided to throw myself a curve ball in the form of TRTB progression as I just felt in beast mode early in this run. It's usually a staple run of my training but never premeditated, If I feel really good, I'll go with it.

I think the last time I ran one was in January but I could be wrong, have to check up the old derelict and abandoned log on that one later but anyway, I felt completely effortless today so went with it on the fly.

Splits:

8:25
    8:18
    7:56
    7:35
    7:21
    7:04
    6:47
    6:39
    6:36
    6:16

Nailed it!:) This suggests there is some endurance there to me, not sure how much, I'll have to wait and find out but I felt comfortable as coild be bar the last two being a little shove but that's the idea. I'm still not convinced about the endurance because my 1500m-3000m conversion was pretty weak and frankly, I've done feck all in the way of long runs in the last while so I'm not going to put all my eggs in the one basket again on the back of one run again. That being said, very encouraging.

And back to bed for some zzzz's although insomia might not be a bad training supplement judging by this run.

• Advertisement

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    AM: 8m Easy|5x1mile @10k pace w/ 3 min Rec|AM: 3m Rec PM: 7m steady|8x200m @ Mile pace w/60s Rec|6m Easy|Shakeout|Munster T+F 3000m SC
    AM:4m Rec Easy PM:6m Easy|12x400m @5k pace w/75s Rec|AM:3m Rec PM:6m Easy|20min Uptempo @10k-10m pace|8m Easy|12m LR|Rest
    9m Easy|8x800m @5k Pace w/3min Rec|AM:4m Easy PM:8m|1x3200m, 4x1m @10k pace w/3min Rec|8m Easy|14m LR|Rest
    AM:4m Easy PM:5m Easy|10x600m(5 @5k pace)(5@10k pace) w/90s Rec|AM:3m Rec PM: 5m Easy|AMK Sharp|5m Easy|Killarney 10k|Rest

Any opinions?

This is just a rough draft of a short plan to take me through the next few weeks so I'm open to any suggestions on ways to improve it which I'm sure there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    AM: 8m Easy|5x1mile @10k pace w/ 3 min Rec|AM: 3m Rec PM: 7m steady|8x200m @ Mile pace w/60s Rec|6m Easy|Shakeout|Munster T+F 3000m SC
    AM:4m Rec Easy PM:6m Easy|12x400m @5k pace w/75s Rec|AM:3m Rec PM:6m Easy|8m w/20min Uptempo @10k-10m pace|8m Easy|12m LR|Rest
    9m Easy|8x800m @5k Pace w/3min Rec|AM:4m Easy PM:8m|1x3200m, 4x1m @10k pace w/3min Rec|8m Easy|14m LR|Rest
    AM:4m Easy PM:5m Easy|10x600m(5 @5k pace)(5@10k pace) w/90s Rec|AM:3m Rec PM: 5m Easy|AMK Sharp|5m Easy|Killarney 10k|Rest

Any opinions?

This is just a rough draft of a short plan to take me through the next few weeks so I'm open to any suggestions on ways to improve it which I'm sure there is.

Few comments:

I wouldn't double the day after the race (3k steeple), 1 run is loads to shake the legs out.

I would put two easy days between sessions, not one.

The progression from 12x400m off 75 secs recovery to 8x800m off 3 mins recovery to me seems like a backward step. I would stick with the same 12x400m session but shorten the session, 3 mins is loo long IMO. I see so many people on here doing long rep sessions, but with really generous recovery. A really good session I have done for 5k strength is 400's in a 2 min cycle, so if you take 85 secs to do the 5k you get 35 secs recovery. Start with 8x400m and add two a week.

Instead of 10x600m alternating 5/10k pace with 90 secs, I would do a bit more of a strength session, alternate 600m at 10k pace w/600m at half marathon pace. Maybe do about 5-6k of volume at this, to me it would be a better session.

1x3200m + 4x1 mile is a lot of volume to me, at quite a high effort, but maybe you can handle it. Again I would prefer to switch it to something like above, make the recovery shorter, or active, only slowing down to 1/2 marathon-marathon pace.

These are just suggestions, feel free to ignore.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Few comments:

I wouldn't double the day after the race (3k steeple), 1 run is loads to shake the legs out.

I would put two easy days between sessions, not one.

The progression from 12x400m off 75 secs recovery to 8x800m off 3 mins recovery to me seems like a backward step. I would stick with the same 12x400m session but shorten the session, 3 mins is loo long IMO. I see so many people on here doing long rep sessions, but with really generous recovery. A really good session I have done for 5k strength is 400's in a 2 min cycle, so if you take 85 secs to do the 5k you get 35 secs recovery. Start with 8x400m and add two a week.

Instead of 10x600m alternating 5/10k pace with 90 secs, I would do a bit more of a strength session, alternate 600m at 10k pace w/600m at half marathon pace. Maybe do about 5-6k of volume at this, to me it would be a better session.

1x3200m + 4x1 mile is a lot of volume to me, at quite a high effort, but maybe you can handle it. Again I would prefer to switch it to something like above, make the recovery shorter, or active, only slowing down to 1/2 marathon-marathon pace.

These are just suggestions, feel free to ignore.

Great stuff P, appreciate it! I'll get to work on the changes.:)

Friday 19th June- 5m Easy

All good! Dialled back the mileage today to give the body some well deserved RnR. The pace was fairly handy and more on the side of very easy which was a conscious decision to just go out and keep the legs fresh and take it all in.

Back to the roads for the first time in yonks tomorrow evening for 10k in Tralee. First 10k since Adare in February(We'll forget about that 7k in early April) so it should be interesting and I'm buzzing to see where I am and how I run.:)

Got the attachment working. On the home stretch in the 3000m Tuesday night, legs are wobbling.

Saturday 20th June- 5m Easy w/5x150m accels

The plan was to race today and I was all set to head out the door and make my way to Tralee at 4 o clock. The same company that I had to push to get a last minute entry in February was organising so I said I'd give them a ring this time and see if there was any entries left just in case I made the trip for nothing. Talkin away to your man on the phone who told me there was still 70 odd left anyway, I asked how long they would last to which he answered "if you make down before 5:15 tomorrow, you'll get one!" What!? Turns out, the race isn't on until tomorrow evening and it's just number collection today:o:pac: good job, I made that call or otherwise, I'd be the only muppet down outside the Brandon kitted out in full racing gear and looking for the start line:D

I was dressed for it so I said I might as well head out and keep the legs ticking over this evening. The body felt in good ol nick today although the wind was a slight challenge. Went quite well and threw in a few 150m accels to blow off any cobwebs that could be hanging around. 50m gentle accel, 50m sprint and 50m stride down the passage by the soccer field, perfect spot for them. I'm really confident heading into the race tomorrow, the body just feels right even though I've put down a tough week in intensity, there doesn't seem to be any fatigue or stiffness hanging about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Best of luck tomorrow! At least you won't need to set an alarm :pac:

What's the ultimate goal after your 'ticking over'few weeks? Will you be following a plan or compiling your own or going with a club build up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

You're going well lately across a decent variety of sessions, particularly liked your 10 mile progression run.

Just saw your photo, jezus, you need to tuck into a cauldron of spuds and a panful of pork chops FFS :)

TbL

Best of luck tomorrow E, calmy does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

+1, all the best.

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow! At least you won't need to set an alarm :pac:

What's the ultimate goal after your 'ticking over'few weeks? Will you be following a plan or compiling your own or going with a club build up?

Haha! Thanks A:)

I'd be lying if I said I had any clue what I'm doing. The ultimate goal is to get consistent but in race terms, I suppose XC is going to be the big one this year with a few road from 10 mile down thrown in for good measure. Any thoughts of doing a marathon are well and truly vanquished which will probably be huge for my running as I only ever seemed to get injured after that trek and miss out on posting some good times over the shorter stuff, always in good shape come September but never being able to post the times I'm capable of and hold it through the winter because of the toll the marathon takes on me.

The plan is more than likely to put my trust in coach for the workouts, he likes to keep things simple and I think that's exactly what I need. I think there's huge room for improvement in my running by just keeping it simple and consistent and there's not much need to be overthinking things.
    You're going well lately across a decent variety of sessions, particularly liked your 10 mile progression run.

Just saw your photo, jezus, you need to tuck into a cauldron of spuds and a panful of pork chops FFS :)

TbL

Haha, Cheers TbL! you're only jealous I'd say:)
    Best of luck tomorrow E, calmy does it.

Cheers B! Calmly and me don't mix too well but plan is to take it out easy and see if I can push on from there:)
    Murph_D wrote: »
    +1, all the best.

Cheers Murph! Hope the body getting back into the swing of things for ya:)

Advertisement