Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird sleep phenomena

Options
  • 03-06-2015 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭

Last night when I was not quite asleep but dozing off, I started to hear a loud noise, like seagulls chattering, and it kept getting louder and louder. I started to feel really cold too and the quilt was down at my knees. Then I felt someone's hands grabbing my arm... :eek:

Naturally I was terrified out of my wits, then I suddenly found myself wrapped in my quilt, nobody there, no seagulls sound. I had woken up - it was a hypnagogic (the point between being awake and asleep) hallucination.

I used to get one about once a year - it was always in the morning on a day off when I dozed back to sleep after waking for a bit. It was never scary, well not really (daylight helped) and it would tend to involve me hearing someone calling me (usually someone I knew, not a strange voice) and coming into my room and nudging me awake, and I'd try to reply but couldn't (because of sleep paralysis).

But in recent times, it has happened to me twice very late at night when dozing off, and it's ****ing freaky!
    It's mad how real it feels.

So I looked it up, and it's a thing all right - an unexplained neurological phenomenon, related to sleep paralysis. People hear, with bizarre vividness, doorbells, phones ringing, the sound of rustling bags (that's what I heard a few weeks ago), screaming, their names being called. The sensation of someone entering your room seems to happen in all instances, and sometimes there is the feeling of an entity pressing down on their chest (never had that one :eek:) which even has a term: "old hag phenomenon". A scary auld demonic bint going around visiting people.

I would imagine it's sometimes the basis of what are considered haunted houses. I remember reading a haunted house story about a girl who described the sound of paper crumpling while she was in bed at night, and getting louder and louder, which seems exactly like a sleep hallucination.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/ask-the-brains-sleep-paralysis/

Anyone else got strange, spooky sleep experiences to share?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Yep I get that and sleep paralysis the odd time, not a nice feeling at all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I dream that I traverse dimensions and talk to people living there in simultaneous lives. I also have the feeling I'm being possessed or that people are watching me while I sleep. It's really disturbing. I write a lot about it to try to explain it better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

All the time, someone reaching for my neck sometimes. Can see the shadowy figure at the door, screaming my head off and no sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

I often here a very real knock on the bedroom door just as I'm falling asleep. Happens often enough that I know it's not real. Weird all the same!

Did you ever dream that you're living in a dream, that you don't know where the dream ends. You wake up and it could be a false reality while in the dream world, truth and knowledge exists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I often here a very real knock on the bedroom door just as I'm falling asleep. Happens often enough that I know it's not real. Weird all the same!

Yeah sorry about that. I always get the wrong house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Sleep Paralysis.. it is a dirty **** is what it is.

The first time it happened me I was genuinely terrified to go back to sleep for a few days.. a dark faceless character at the end of the bed, cant move, cant scream, cant do jack ****...
    Happened a few times afterwards over the years thankfully it hasn't reoccurred for a few years..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Been there, done that. Also had false awakening and had a few periods where I had active lucid dreams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I know that if you go too heavy on the yokes you're in for a spell of it.

I get it the odd time, I do get very frightened though. I'm always convinced I've developed Locked-In Syndrome. I know it lasts less than a minute but it's a very, very, long minute.

I'd say most, if not all, of the alien abduction phenomena are related to sleep vagaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

strobe wrote: »
    I know that if you go too heavy on the yokes you're in for a spell of it.
    Ya, if I take a rake of bangers I'm absolutely guaranteed to have it exactly two nights after the session in which I indulged. I'll always be pretty much over the hump after that as well, like not feeling washed out any more. Dunno what that says about the mechanism of sleep paralysis but I guess it says something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Ya, if I take a rake of bangers I'm absolutely guaranteed to have it exactly two nights after the session in which I indulged. I'll always be pretty much over the hump after that as well, like not feeling washed out any more. Dunno what that says about the mechanism of sleep paralysis but I guess it says something.

Serotonin along with a metric sh1tload of other things it does helps regulate and control sleep. A drug that plays a game of the floor is made of lava with your dealies that regulate it is bound to have some effect on how you process sleep.

I'm a scientist, I swear. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I had a dream of the future one time. Nothing spectacular it was just something that happened the next day, I did know that morning that it would happen which it did in the exact detail that I dreamed of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Sometimes I can hear someone calling me, which wakes me up. Then I have to try and doze off again and hope the second times the charm.
    Rare enough, so it doesn't annoy me but still strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

A bit of advice on SP.

Try to go with it (strange I know) But the less you panic the easier it is. SP is the gateway to Lucid dreaming - Look up Jody Whitley on utube and listen to some of her stuff - she will however encourage SP. And actively encourage you to engage with it.

The simplest steps to take to get out of SP are - trying to wiggle a finger - just one - concentrate on it. couple of seconds later your free. or, "sigh" as hard as you can - a big breath out!

The pressure on your chest is described as the laying of a dead body across you :D Just thought I would let you know that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It's the lack of sleep whilst on the bangers that creeps up. That feeling of someone on top of you while you drift off is a dirty one.

ardinn wrote: »
    A bit of advice on SP.

Try to go with it (strange I know) But the less you panic the easier it is. SP is the gateway to Lucid dreaming - Look up Jody Whitley on utube and listen to some of her stuff - she will however encourage SP. And actively encourage you to engage with it.

The simplest steps to take to get out of SP are - trying to wiggle a finger - just one - concentrate on it. couple of seconds later your free. or, "sigh" as hard as you can - a big breath out!

The pressure on your chest is described as the laying of a dead body across you :D Just thought I would let you know that!!

I thought the pressure was described as a demon trying to possess you or that's what I heard. The feeling of being suffocated and trapped while you can't wake up. It's terrifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Yeah the "hyperness" after E and alcohol... makes sense.

I don't get the chest-being-crushed sensation thankfully (I do experience the sensation of being grabbed by the arm or shoulder though) and I've never seen a figure - that... would not be fun.

The noise is freaky though - starts off loudish, then builds and builds and builds until it's deafening. The feeling of a physical presence is terrifyingly real too.

Can totally understand how superstitious people would think it's demons and sh-t.

Yeah the "hyperness" after E and alcohol... makes sense.

I don't get the chest-being-crushed sensation thankfully (I do experience the sensation of being grabbed by the arm or shoulder though) and I've never seen a figure - that... would not be fun.

The noise is freaky though - starts off loudish, then builds and builds and builds until it's deafening. The feeling of a physical presence is terrifyingly real too.

Can totally understand how superstitious people would think it's demons and sh-t.

I get the dead weight on my chest, and can't draw in air. It's horrible, but I don't feel a presence with it, it feels like some medical issue like two collapsed lungs is about to kill me. Then when I realise I'm not dying I feel I've been paralysed. Terrifying stuff.

I used to get night terrors as a child, luckily my memory of them has faded other than a vague remembrance of being chased by monsters and being so afraid my chest was about to explode!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

At the start it's terrifying but I think after a while you come to expect it. Dare I say it you can even embrace it when you know it's coming.

The physical presence element is definitely the scariest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I used to get that quite a bit, it's actually terrifying when it happens. I used to be terrified going to sleep for a while when I had it ongoing. I don't get it as much now but instead I've been waking in the middle of the night and think I see a spider crawling on my blankets only to fling them on the floor and suddenly realise I'm imagining things.

I used to sleep walk a lot as a child too. Once my mother came in to wake me for school and found me asleep in the wardrobe. Another night I got up and got the milk from the fridge and brought it into bed with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Not SP, but I have a reoccurring 'space' that I dream of at least twice a week. It's a big centre built on a mountain, and I have an apartment on the side of it sometimes. There are loads of different things in the centre that I dream about, but it's always the same place.

Also, it's shaped like a seashell.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i wonder does it happen to a certain type of personality

a hyper-sensitive person??

fryup wrote: »
    i wonder does it happen to a certain type of personality

a hyper-sensitive person??

Past ravers by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

It has happened to me a good few times. I only remember one of them properly now.
    This entire thing lasted for what seems like 5-10 minutes. I was completely frozen and a dark figure down the end of my bed slowly glided up the side of the bed until it was right over me. I was trying like crazy to shout out but nothing would work (terrifying stuff). Then he pulled out a big knife and really slowly pushed it into the middle of my chest. I was able to feel all of this. He then jerked the knife downwards in a swift motion and I jolted awake and was absolutely bucketing sweat!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

ardinn wrote: »
    A bit of advice on SP.

The reason I panic during SP is because I usually have the sensation that I'm not breathing at all. Like it feels like my nose isn't taking in air and my lips are shut and stuck that way because I'm paralysed. So sighing wouldn't work to take me out of it at least :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Definitely Aliens OP. On a side note, if any Boardies ever come across DMT.. give me a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Sir montygom

my wife sees an old woman standing at the end of our bed a lot of nights.......many times i wake up to go to jacks and my wife is sitting up staring at something/one........ or when we are about to nod off to sleep she gets these big jerks like she got a shock from an electric fence ...very annoying as usually interrupts my nice dream(about her of course:eek:):P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Big jerks are fairly normal - the woman is not SP - your house is haunted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Having a similar problem too, only before it happens, the temples in my head sort of vibrate and tremor, then I get a floating feeling followed by that old hag thing, which just hurts me until I force myself to wake up. It's awful I'm getting no sleep lately.

Advertisement