Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career change into teaching

Options
  • 03-06-2015 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Afternoon all,

I'm posting here so I might get some advice or someone talking sense into me or both! My story is I'm a male in my mid 30s working in an ok IT job paying me 35k or so a year in Ireland West. I like the job ok but more and more I am starting to believe that I am in the wrong career and that teaching, primary or secondary I'm not sure yet, is what I should be doing. The problem is I can't shake this off and I keep thinking its what I should be doing. Back 15 years ago in LC and college this wasn't the case and I got into IT because I liked it ok and it seemed like a decent career path.

Where things get complicated is that I am married, have 2 young children, a mortgage and all the expense that comes with a young family. 3 and 1 years.

My degree in IT isn't of much use for secondary teaching far as I can tell and against my better judgement at the time I didn't do honours Irish in the LC, got an A in pass as I didn't think I need honours which is a barrier with Primary.

In my favour is people have said to me they think I would be suited to teaching due to my personality and I think the same. Also, I'm heavily involved in sport and as a fella I am told that this helps in the blood bath that is getting a (Primary) teaching job in Ireland currently? Is this still the case?

Is there a way of me getting qualified whilst working? Am I just crazy and should forget the whole thing?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭techteacher

yep i there is a way but it may take a while, check out the further education sector and what centres are near you this may be the initial testing ground. try some night classes first in sept pick an area/subject you enjoy teaching in and then build on it. It is not an easy road but can be done with time and patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭techteacher

others may advise on other teaching options

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Where things get complicated is that I am married, have 2 young children, a mortgage and all the expense that comes with a young family. 3 and 1 years.
    Straight away, you have to ask how you will fund the course, how you will manage on maybe one day teaching a week and also be aware that being tied to a particular area in the country may limit your chances even more. The "willy factor" as a good friend calls it doesn't really exist re sport anymore. The days of a die hard principal looking for a man for the hurling team are long gone, the IT might stand to you better. And anyhow, if you do have to commute distances for for work,with a wife and small children , will you be in a position to train teams out of hours ,play matches and then do the Croke Park/Haddington road hours on top of all the paperwork /meetings etc. that now dominate our lives?

I would suggest you do a few days volunteering in a primary school, people sometimes have a rose tinted glass view of what primary actually entails. If it is something you know you will love, having observed etc. and you think you can manage financially, then yes, go for it, but go in with you eyes open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Maximus_1 wrote: »
    Afternoon all,

I'm posting here so I might get some advice or someone talking sense into me or both! My story is I'm a male in my mid 30s working in an ok IT job paying me 35k or so a year in Ireland West. I like the job ok but more and more I am starting to believe that I am in the wrong career and that teaching, primary or secondary I'm not sure yet, is what I should be doing. The problem is I can't shake this off and I keep thinking its what I should be doing. Back 15 years ago in LC and college this wasn't the case and I got into IT because I liked it ok and it seemed like a decent career path.

My degree in IT isn't of much use for secondary teaching far as I can tell and against my better judgement at the time I didn't do honours Irish in the LC, got an A in pass as I didn't think I need honours which is a barrier with Primary.

In my favour is people have said to me they think I would be suited to teaching due to my personality and I think the same. Also, I'm heavily involved in sport and as a fella I am told that this helps in the blood bath that is getting a (Primary) teaching job in Ireland currently? Is this still the case?

Is there a way of me getting qualified whilst working? Am I just crazy and should forget the whole thing?!
    Try getting into a Further Education college on a part time basis, night classes, maybe, so you get known. Make it clear you are available for day time part time or subbing work (if you can do that). While you are getting a taster - mind you, you won't encounter the discipline problems in FE that are a huge part of teaching at primary or secondary - you can do a part time course in teaching in FE, which would enable you to get something more secure. It won't help you get into second level, though.

If you're gravitating towards primary, you could check out Hibernia college. They do part time online courses, but at the later stages of the course you would need to take time out to do teaching practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

Straight away, you have to ask how you will fund the course, how you will manage on maybe one day teaching a week and also be aware that being tied to a particular area in the country may limit your chances even more. The "willy factor" as a good friend calls it doesn't really exist re sport anymore. The days of a die hard principal looking for a man for the hurling team are long gone, the IT might stand to you better. And anyhow, if you do have to commute distances for for work,with a wife and small children , will you be in a position to train teams out of hours ,play matches and then do the Croke Park/Haddington road hours on top of all the paperwork /meetings etc. that now dominate our lives?

I would suggest you do a few days volunteering in a primary school, people sometimes have a rose tinted glass view of what primary actually entails. If it is something you know you will love, having observed etc. and you think you can manage financially, then yes, go for it, but go in with you eyes open.
    I'd likely need to go the Hibernia route (Primary) and keep working as much as I could whilst doing that, perhaps as an IT contractor instead of as a full-time employee like I am now. Its 12k for course, I could get that as a small loan if required.

Also despite doing a decent LC all those years ago in my eminent wisdom the honour I didn't do was Irish as I didn't think I'd ever need it. that would leave me needing to try and get a C in hons Irish this time next year if that's even possible. Got an A in pass and would pick it up again with work but I'd imagine some heavy outlay on grinds would be required to bring me upto speed in a year. Then 2 years on Hibernia course, I would be 37 then (best case scenario), realistically is that too old? Would a principal think who's this fella coming from IT career with his Hibernia qualification versus all of the young grads from Pats/Mary I? If they would I may aswell know now and forget it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Would a principal think who's this fella coming from IT career with his Hibernia qualification versus all of the young grads from Pats/Mary I? If they would I may as well know now and forget it! Very much depends on the principal. Some principals prefer younger NQTs, some prefer non Hibernians and some would only love one who could do a school website, teach coding, help with online returns to the DES.

ETA I LOVE my job, there's nothing like seeing a child "get it", making a difference in the life of a child from a difficult background or seeing children learn to watch out for each others. It's a fantastic job, despite the DES trying to ape the failed English system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I've typed it too many times to do it again but please do a proper read through of the threads on this forum over the last few years. There is very very little work out there, the cost of the qualification is prohibitive and you have a lot of dependents. I'd be careful before jumping into teaching. At the very least you need to do a few weeks in a school. Next you need to sit down and do some realistic number crunching and remember that you won't start anywhere near the starting salary

edit to say I do love teaching but it's a long hard road and I was young starting out.

I've typed it too many times to do it again but please do a proper read through of the threads on this forum over the last few years. There is very very little work out there, the cost of the qualification is prohibitive and you have a lot of dependents. I'd be careful before jumping into teaching. At the very least you need to do a few weeks in a school. Next you need to sit down and do some realistic number crunching and remember that you won't start anywhere near the starting salary

edit to say I do love teaching but it's a long hard road and I was young starting out.

I agree with all you say; but at the end of the day it's horrible to be stuck in a career you don't want to be in, with all the "what ifs". I've seen people get into teaching in my sector, FE, in their thirties and forties, by starting with evening classes, getting known, getting a few hours here and there, and doing the FE teaching qualification part time.

The financial commitment isn't as massive, but you are limited to FE. Not a bad fate, to be honest. Few discipline problems, for one thing.

It all depends on the finances. If his partner/wife is capable of holding the fort financially for a couple of years, it might be doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

this is very good advice. How about branching out into IT training? You know, teaching on VEC courses or becoming a trainer (in a private company) in something IT related. It would be a shame to lose your IT skills. If you are a programmer you could easily switch things and become a trainer in things like programming languages, or methodologies (Agile etc).

I was in a similar boat as yourself a good few years ago, I had a place to do my hDip but I realised there were too many obstacles and uncertainties so I stuck in IT and years later I'm glad I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Just to add to the above, since you have valuable industry experience in IT, have you considered lecturing?

I see GMIT and IT Sligo are hiring. I'll offer my usual advice - try getting some evening work (shouldn't really be a problem if you have an aptitude for teaching) and take it from there. All you need is a bachelors degree and three years post-grad experience.

• Advertisement

Yeah its the uncertainty of the sector thats the killer, if I knew teachers were in demand, that if I knuckle down for 3 years there will be a job it would make things easier. However as people are telling me it could be 3 years plus another 3 years of subbing, uncertainty etc. Its such a tough ask to put my family through it.

Regarding becoming an IT trainer or going into lecturing etc to be honest its not really where I want to go. My interest would be in seeing an 8 year old learning some history or maths not in third level and computing. I dont hate my job or anything, its 'grand', but as the last few years have rolled past I've realised what I'd love is teaching, the difference between 'its grand' and 'I love what I do'.

What makes it worse is through my work I sometimes do IT related jobs in some schools and every time I do I think I wish I was here to teach not fix the laptop!

In reality though my family are number one and I think my wife would like to work less hours and spend more time with the children while they're young instead of becoming the main bread winner whilst I followed my late vocation. I have alot of blessings in life like a great family so am trying to make peace with the fact that sometimes you don't always get what you want in some aspects...

That said, do you think it would be possible to pass honours Irish next june if I started from scratch this summer?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Regarding becoming an IT trainer or going into lecturing etc to be honest its not really where I want to go. My interest would be in seeing an 8 year old learning some history or maths not in third level and computing. I dont hate my job or anything, its 'grand', but as the last few years have rolled past I've realised what I'd love is teaching, the difference between 'its grand' and 'I love what I do'.

What makes it worse is through my work I sometimes do IT related jobs in some schools and every time I do I think I wish I was here to teach not fix the laptop!

In reality though my family are number one and I think my wife would like to work less hours and spend more time with the children while they're young instead of becoming the main bread winner whilst I followed my late vocation. I have alot of blessings in life like a great family so am trying to make peace with the fact that sometimes you don't always get what you want in some aspects...

That said, do you think it would be possible to pass honours Irish next june if I started from scratch this summer?!

Dont forget subbing is usually at short notice... so yould have to consider what to do with kids if you get called (unless theyre in school by then).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Yes, I've seen students do it in a year when they're motivated. Many give up half way through so make sure to get a good grinds teacher who motivates you.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pandoraj09

Regarding the Irish, 40% of the marks are for the Oral and with an A in pass already you would be fine. There are easy marks to be gained in the comprehension sections and the amount of literature has decreased...
    As regards going into teaching, I would strongly say don't do it. There are very few jobs and subbing here and there and having an unstable wage will surely add to your stress levels. Nothing is more essential when you have a mortgage and a young family than financial security...it's all very well to talk about following your dreams...
    Earlier today, I was thinking that my job is akin to that of a traffic warden, providing a service to people that a lot of them don't want. I know that sounds very negative but it's what I experience at ground level in a classroom most days. Class size is also a huge factor. Primary classes can be 35+ as far as I am aware....I had 2 junior language classes last year with 30 in them. Crazy stuff with the Inspectorate advocating introducing the JC Oral exams...
    Of course there's job satisfaction but for young teachers the immediate future looks bleak...been reading the "waiting for the call" thread....
    A thought: Wait for another 5/10 years...if things improve in the economy maybe go for it....you're a "mature" candidate anyway!!!
    Maybe IT will be a new JC exam subject....Just a thought.
    Definitely wouldn't give up your present job to do anything now though. Enjoy your children while they're young. Good luck!

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    Class size is also a huge factor. Primary classes can be 35+ as far as I am aware....

If they are, the teachers concerned are breaking union directives

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

katydid wrote: »
    If they are, the teachers concerned are breaking union directives

In primary schools?

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    In primary schools?

The quota is thirty, to the best of my knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I don't think the INTO have any directives on class size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

That's an Asti directive.

A lot of class sizes at primary are above 30. The ptr is a lot higher than secondary. 28-1 as far as I know.

• Advertisement

Not at primary level.
    Many teachers have classes at primary level of 30+++

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    Not at primary level.
    Many teachers have classes at primary level of 30+++

I thought there was an INTO directive. I could be wrong. Any INTO members care to clarify?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

I thought there was an INTO directive. I could be wrong. Any INTO members care to clarify?

With the current ptr that would be impossible to implement.

With the current ptr that would be impossible to implement.
    Is that not a chicken and egg situation?

I've decided to give the Irish LC a blast and go from there. I can't get it out of my head at all, its like almost a constant presence. I've raised it with my better half, shes not overly gone on it I gather but I can try and get the Irish by early mornings, late night studying and a few hours Sat/Sun when kids not needing me and if I make it through try and work as much as I can whilst on the Hibernia. It might all blow up on me and might not be workable wit a young family and job but God loves a trier.

I've also been speaking to a few people in education and whether people like it or not they both said that a male teacher with a good personality, background in IT and sport would immediately standout as a candidate all other things being equal. They might not say it or admit it in a public forum but they did to me in a private one. One of these was a female principle, the other a male principle.

Now, where the heck to start with my Irish...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I've decided to give the Irish LC a blast and go from there. I can't get it out of my head at all, its like almost a constant presence. I've raised it with my better half, shes not overly gone on it I gather but I can try and get the Irish by early mornings, late night studying and a few hours Sat/Sun when kids not needing me and if I make it through try and work as much as I can whilst on the Hibernia. It might all blow up on me and might not be workable wit a young family and job but God loves a trier.

I've also been speaking to a few people in education and whether people like it or not they both said that a male teacher with a good personality, background in IT and sport would immediately standout as a candidate all other things being equal. They might not say it or admit it in a public forum but they did to me in a private one. One of these was a female principle, the other a male principle.

Good man yourself. Better to light a candle than curse the dark, as they say. Try Gaelchultúr for decent courses. Also, no harm in checking out a local Meetup ciorcal comhrá. It won't cost you anything. The local library also might have a weekly one.

Source a very good/reputable Irish teacher and get one to one private grinds.
    A lot of teachers may not be interested in working over the summer but be ready to start asap in September.
    You could start looking at oral work yourself over the summer.

!

It's nice to get encouragement from principals, but I would not take the above as a 100% sure thing that you are going to walk into a job straight after.
    You can be up against teachers with more experience/backgrounds in other valuable areas etc...
    Many female teachers have a background in sport!
    There is also a panel system and a supplementary panel system at primary level which have to be cleared before jobs are open to NPTs.
    Have a read of the many threads on edposts about jobs/interviews etc...
    Go in with a realistic expectation.

I work with students currently doing the Hibernia masters.
    The work load is huge and the assignments come in thick and fast.
    The paperwork for teaching practice is huge.
    None of these are working full time.
    Research the course and try speak to some people currently on the course.

Irish is a good place for you to start and as I said before, it is doable in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Docscar38

Hi. I hear your worries so let me help u out a bit. First of all, I'm 38, 3 kids, one wife, one mortgage, countless bills, the usual. I left a similar job as you a few years ago to pursue what i had always felt was what i wanted to do, teaching. I went to college at night (credit union funded each year) and looked after my kids during the day. I finally completed an honours degree in May (2.2) and also sat my leaving cert honours Irish in June. In the intervening years I have been at my kids side every single day, i havent had a bean to spend as i don't (just about) qualify for unemployment assistance. So it was a real struggle at times, but, I'm nearly there. Still have to do PME hopefully starting in September. Look, what I'm saying is, no matter what anyone here says, your decisions are your own. Teachers have good and bad experiences at work/life no more than anyone else. I started with nothing but a desire to become a teacher, I have done everything in my working life u can think of and rose into management in more than one area. But, i was never happy. I want to become a teacher. That's all there is to it. Follow your gut. Also, with time,.the more I've delved into the world of education the more happy i am with my path. Go on. Why not. Life is for living, test yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

I think you will be taking too much time out of just being with your wife and kids - you may be in the house with them but you will be "unavailable" - I presume your wife works outside the home, so you are taking a lot of time from your being together at home, looking after the home, the kids, having fun together etc.

Advertisement