Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood Alcohol level to determine ability to consent? MOD Note in Post #1

Options
  • 03-06-2015 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭

Be interested to hear how others feel about this and if you would support such a law in this country..

A new report in the UK is calling for a blood alcohol level to be set in order to able to determine if a woman had the ability to consent to sex or not.
    A rape report has suggested that courts should assume that women who are drunk cannot consent to sex.

The findings were concluded yesterday by Dame Elish Angiolini, who suggests that blood tests should be carried out by police to determine whether a woman was too drunk and therefore unable to consent when a claim of rape is made.

The barrister within her recommendations is also suggesting that the Sexual Offences Act 2003 be amended to cover the grey area covering rape cases where alcohol is involved.

Source.

This seems a ludicrous suggestion to me for many reasons, not least of which is how could they even be sure when the alcohol was consumed, before or after the sex had taken place. Crazy proposal. Hope it's seen as such.

I also see no mention from the barrister how she feels about a woman having sex with a drunk male and whether she would feel that this too should automatically qualify as rape. Not surprising though.

MOD NOTE - It should go without saying, but no rape jokes. Zero tolerence on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Nightclubs just became obsolete if this goes through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Whys it only covering women though?

Surely I'm not the only one that's ever had the beer goggles on at some point in my life:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Nightclubs just became obsolete if this goes through.

And chippers a lot busier... Would you like medium, large or a consent meal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Why is it only women who are unable to consent when drunk? Can they be held responsible for anything they do when they are drunk?

Bit insulting to women to think that if they have a few drinks they need to be protected from themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

"Blow in this bag". Sorry, I am afraid I will not be able to continue this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I see people every weekend (male and female) who shouldn't be allowed to consent to a taco chip. Tackle the problem of people constantly getting into states where they haven't a ball's notion what they're doing first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ridiculous idea. And a bit sexist. And would this apply to lesbian or gay folks?

F*ck off and let adults be adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Why is it only women who are unable to consent when drunk? Can they be held responsible for anything they do when they are drunk?

Bit insulting to women to think that if they have a few drinks they need to be protected from themselves.

Because woman are perpetual victims. Patriarchal rape culture reigns supreme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I may be completely off the wall here, but I suspect this wouldn't have any bearing on 99.999% of drunken rides, lads. Just a wild hunch, like I say.

Anyway, on with the ranting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

It's doubtful this passes through, what threshold do they set? If your BAC is at x amount after y hours you were raped. If not you weren't? There is no scientifically viable test for this as it's not gonna be a contemporary test of BAC. One barrister pointing out that the alleged victim had pints after leaving and the whole law would be thrown into flux.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

So if this goes through on a non gender basis pretty much the majority of people will be deemed in the eyes of the law as rapists...???

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Ridiculous idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

What a chat up line. "Here luv, would ya blow into this before you blow that?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

anncoates wrote: »
    I may be completely off the wall here, but I suspect this wouldn't have any bearing on 99.999% of drunken rides, lads. Just a wild hunch, like I say.

Anyway, on with the ranting.

..discussion.

Yes, that point was made by Julia Hartley Brewer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Why "women"? Why does this archaic double standard still exist? Sex is something two people do together, not something a man "does" to someone else.

This wording implies automatic male responsibility if both are locked. F*ck that and anyone who thinks like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Ugh. The only way I can see this working is if it's proved beyond any doubt that one party was too pissed to consent -and the other one wasn't-. But so many issues with this.

Firstly, how do you go about determining the blood alcohol level? Take a sample in the morning and extrapolate backwards? Some people process alcohol faster or slower, so that's a bloody unreliable method when someone's good character hangs in the balance. Imagine being classed as a rapist because someone's blood processes alcohol slower, and so it's extrapolated backwards to "Jays, they were catatonic", when actually they were perfectly awake and coherent.

People react differently to alcohol. A "lightweight" could be hammered after a couple of drinks, and someone could take advantage of this deliberately and in a calculated manner. But their blood test will show that they only were at "X" amount, and thus are considered to have given consent.

It -is- legally dodgy to put all the blame on the male automatically, and it's not really something that should be done wholesale by the law. It's true that the majority of cases of rape -are- male on female, but it's by no means 100%, and this law could just make men who are sexually assaulted even more reticent about coming forward. In our society, it would take serious guts for a man to say that they had been raped because they were too intoxicated to give consent, because I can only imagine the slagging he'd get.

TL:DR - This is a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

So if I had a one night stand with a lady who was over this blood alcohol limit but it was consensual then technically I have raped her?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

valoren wrote: »
    So if I had a one night stand with a lady who was over this blood alcohol limit but it was consensual then technically I have raped her?

Under this proposed law, if it stands as is, I assume so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Be interested to hear how others feel about this and if you would support such a law in this country..

A new report in the UK is calling for a blood alcohol level to be set in order to able to determine if a woman had the ability to consent to sex or not.

Source.

This seems a ludicrous suggestion to me for many reasons, not least of which is how could they even be sure when the alcohol was consumed, before or after the sex had taken place. Crazy proposal. Hope it's seen as such.

It's only one of 46 proposals -

The report does however identify a number of areas where change is required, culminating in a list of 46 recommendations, half of which are applicable to the police alone: eight apply to both the police and CPS jointly and three applicable to the CPS alone. These recommendations address areas including resourcing, improved training, enhanced victim care and a broader spectrum of partnership working.

It's not like anyone is suggesting guilty until proven innocent here, and during an investigation is when police would be able to determine the various circumstances pertaining to each case.

This whole situation would only arise in a case where someone claims they were raped, so it's not as though it actually will cause nightclubs up and down the UK to shut down due to going out of business when nobody dares get drunk!

I also see no mention from the barrister how she feels about a woman having sex with a drunk male and whether she would feel that this too should automatically qualify as rape. Not surprising though.

Not surprising that you would come to that conclusion either having not actually read the report, but basing your assertions on a newspaper article.

More knee-jerking in response to perceived knee-jerking... not surprising though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

So I go 'downstairs' and find a chastity belt locked by a breathalyzer or something?

Utterly daft and unenforceable nonsense. Also, if a woman with a certian blood alcohol level is incapable of consent, surely it follows that some bloke that's rat arsed drunk is incapable of commiting rape since his blood alcohol level negates his personal responsibility as surely as it negates the ability to consent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Will both parties be tested? I mean if a guy is showing up at no alcohol and she's 4 times the limit you MIGHT have an argument, but this seems like a completely unworkable way to circumvent the he said/she said stuff.

It's only one of 46 proposals..

So what? Actions are already been taken on back of the review and so it wouldn't matter a jot if the proposal were only one of a hundred and forty six.
    It's not like anyone is suggesting guilty until proven innocent here, and during an investigation is when police would be able to determine the various circumstances pertaining to each case.

Eh, if someone is found to be at an alcohol level that deems them to have been legally unable to give sexual consent, then of course this law would mean, not only guilty until proven innocent but, that they were guilty full stop, as in they wouldn't even be able to legally claim innocence.
    This whole situation would only arise in a case where someone claims they were raped, so it's not as though it actually will cause nightclubs up and down the UK to shut down due to going out of business when nobody dares get drunk!

What do you mean by "only"? I fail to see how that would make such a law insignificant.
    Not surprising that you would come to that conclusion either having not actually read the report, but basing your assertions on a newspaper article.

More knee-jerking in response to perceived knee-jerking... not surprising though.

Like I said above. The report is already being acted upon and so nothing whatsoever 'knee jerk' about my reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Alias G

I wonder would it be feasible to dual modify my penis as a breathalyser. Win win.

Like I said above. The report is already being acted upon and so nothing whatsoever 'knee jerk' about my reaction.

Nooo, nothing knee-jerk at all -

It's not even a law in the UK yet, let alone any possibility of it becoming a law in this country.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't be too troubled even if it were to become a law in this country as I have never been interested in having sex with anyone who was drunk, and unless you're completely socially clueless, or simply just don't care that a random stranger is just too drunk to be having sex with them, well I can't say I'd have much sympathy for someone who puts themselves in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I see people every weekend (male and female) who shouldn't be allowed to consent to a taco chip. Tackle the problem of people constantly getting into states where they haven't a ball's notion what they're doing first.

But if you did that people would not have the excuse of saying I only did it because I was drunk, using alcohol as a way of giving themselves permission do what they did, and people would have to take responsibility for them selves. As a bonus there would be less violence.

It's not even a law in the UK yet, let alone any possibility of it becoming a law in this country.

Nobody claimed either of those things and so you are arguing with yourself.

The Metropolitan police commissioned this report and so the calls and proposals therein are worthy of discussion.
    For what it's worth, I wouldn't be too troubled even if it were to become a law in this country as I have never been interested in having sex with anyone who was drunk, and unless you're completely socially clueless, or simply just don't care that a random stranger is just too drunk to be having sex with them, well I can't say I'd have much sympathy for someone in that situation.

For someone whining about other people's knee jerk reactions, you sure are doing a lot of your own, with a hefty slice of high horsing thrown in. Look, many people get drunk just so they can have sex or end up deciding to when drunk. You can stick your head in the sand about this if you wish, but it's the reality of life and just because someone has a had a few drinks and decided to have sex after that does not, and should not, mean they were raped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭DeadHand

This could criminalize and destroy the lives of a lot of decent young men on the whim of vindictive women should it come to pass.

An undemocratic, unfair proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

DeadHand wrote: »
    This could criminalize and destroy the lives of a lot of decent young men on the whim of vindictive women should it come to pass.

An undemocratic, unfair proposal.

Yes, because women live to make fake rape claims. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Bull****, I've had plenty of daycent sexy time while hammered.

I've also had hook ups I wish I hadn't while hammered. I take responsibility for that- as I've never been blackout.

If someone is unconscious or incapable of expressing clear consent to sex, then don't do it. Simple really.

• Advertisement

Nobody claimed either of those things and so you are arguing with yourself.

The Metropolitan police commissioned this report and so the calls and proposals therein are worthy of discussion.

You implied it was already a law by asking would anyone support such a law, and then went on to ask would anyone support such a law in this country. That's not me being a pedant, that's my reading exactly what you wrote and the question you were posing. It's knee-jerking and jumping to speculation that we both know could involve an infinite number of potential scenarios.

For someone whining about other people's knee jerk reactions, you sure are doing a lot of your own, with a hefty slice of high horsing thrown in. Look, many people get drunk just so they can have sex or end up deciding to when drunk. You can stick your head in the sand about this if you wish, but it's the reality of life and just because someone has a had a few drinks and decided to have sex after that does not, and should not, mean they were raped.

How am I doing any knee-jerking? What's high-horsey about common sense? If you don't want to put yourself at risk of being accused of rape - don't have sex with drunk people. That's not rocket science, and there's your personal responsibility right there - responsibility for yourself.

Not giving a damn what other people choose to do is not sticking my head in the sand either btw, and just because someone has a few drinks doesn't mean their complaint of rape should be so easily dismissable.

That was the whole point of the report being commissioned from a victim-centred perspective, because all too often people who are raped, their claims are all too easily dismissed because they were drunk at the time.

It's not me is sticking my head in the sand here.

Advertisement