Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Call to Neighbour

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Are you part of a motor claim by any chance? Sometimes they send out PIs to investigate the person's activities.

Did they ask the neighbour any other questions about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Any one of us on this thread could very well be "John"
    Now they can fish through your previous posts and discover all of This about you :eek:

I'd be giving the cops a call, get something noted in the books about it.
    If there is anything further without any indication of who they are, I'd be paying my bank a visit too and ensuring they call me if there is suspicious activity on my account.

Last thing you need with elderly or unwell parent's is some shady character poking around. Everyone loses sleep.

Maybe get a check on traffic infringement fines or unpaid fines when you are talking to AGS, they might be able to enlighten you.
    Bank may be aware of debts, worth asking them to check your credit rating.

Failing all of those things, presume the worst, that it is someone with ill intent and zero professional motivation for tracking you down. Then you prepare yourself for some sort of badness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 autumnrain

I'd be a bit freaked out by that too - if they have that much info, they probably could contact you directly but chose not to. So they need a call from the Guards to let them know that the neighbour, you & local law are all aware of them.
    I'd ask the neighbour to jot down the number and what he can remember of the call. Then I'd drop over to your local Garda station and report it. It might also fit into a larger pattern in which case you'd know it wasn't just you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

How would anyone be able to connect your neighbour's phone number to your case - the person had to know both of you to know (a) X is a neighbour and (b) X's phone number which presumably isn't just one digit away from yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

How would anyone be able to connect your neighbour's phone number to your case - the person had to know both of you to know (a) X is a neighbour and (b) X's phone number which presumably isn't just one digit away from yours?

Yip, but whoever rang the neighbour knew my address so by logic would have known my neighbours house number - so it's not that difficult to get the name of who is living next door - electoral register and a phone book?

So far I haven't had any contact - nor did any mysterious cheque arrive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

O.K. Let's look at this from another angle. Supposing you were the smokescreen? Could whoever phoned be looking for information about your parents? How many adults living in the house etc. Household income etc

I am not trying to worry you here or cause you any upset but if someone went to the trouble of looking up a Thom's Directory to see who your neighbour was, to find your neighbour's telephone number and then to phone them with a completely made up story are pretty devious.

I cannot see anyone from the Department of Social Welfare going to this trouble...as you said yourself there would be a paper trail before this happened.

If private detectives are following you or there is a case of mistaken identity here then you should see a car parked somewhere near your house, usually a piece of junk, with one or two people in it. As you leave they will follow you.

If that is the case, take the car reg and report them to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

Facebook do this all the time & nobody says anything eg. where did you go to school were do you live what age are you they are none the wiser with me as i used a spam email to sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

homingbird wrote: »
    Facebook do this all the time & nobody says anything eg. where did you go to school were do you live what age are you they are none the wiser with me as i used a spam email to sign up.

thank god, ive never had a facebook account. the world's most dodgiest site.

tough one op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

homingbird wrote: »

Facebook phone your neighbour and ask questions about you while pretending to be from social welfare?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

O.K. Let's look at this from another angle. Supposing you were the smokescreen?

excellent point....maybe you were the smokescreen for flushing out your neighbour....OP has your neighbour been up to no good??

maybe they called pretending to be asking about you all the while confirming the neighbours details ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Have you been on any flagged sites. Anything top do with ISIL or the likes. Sounds to me like it could be CIA. MI5 or MOSSAD looking up on you. Be careful with what you look up on the NET. There are agencies out there that are watching 24/7. When I want to look up things like that I never do it at home. I always go to a internet cafe and never the same 1 twice. Be careful is the only advice that I can add...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Have you been on any flagged sites. Anything top do with ISIL or the likes. Sounds to me like it could be CIA. MI5 or MOSSAD looking up on you. Be careful with what you look up on the NET. There are agencies out there that are watching 24/7. When I want to look up things like that I never do it at home. I always go to a internet cafe and never the same 1 twice. Be careful is the only advice that I can add...

id also recommend you to wear a paper bag over your head at all times and maybe a tinfoil hat so they cant receive your thoughts. just some ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Mod: And I think that's where we'll leave it. The potential link to debt collectors was already tenuous and no consumer issue has evolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement