Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longest sentence in the world.

Options
  • 02-06-2015 1:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed the lack of full stops around Boards? It's becoming more and more prevalent and I can't understand why people refuse to ignore basic sentence structure. The posts could be jam packed with intelligent points yet hang in the air doubtfully. I plead and beg for the forgotten full stop to be remembered before it becomes completely obsolete in the forums.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Period time again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Example?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

catallus wrote: »
    Example?

I don't think you're allowed to quote people and point out errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

eternal wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed the lack of full stops around Boards? It's becoming more and more prevalent and I can't understand why people refuse to ignore basic sentence structure. The posts could be jam packed with intelligent points yet hang in the air doubtfully. I plead and beg for the forgotten full stop to be remembered before it becomes completely obsolete in the forums.

The eternal sentence, you might say?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

PARlance wrote: »
    Period time again?

I hope not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I. haven't. really. noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

PARlance wrote: »
    Period time again?

I think its the lack of periods that are the issue here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Yep, lack of a full stop drives me mental too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

There's something equally annoying .It's people who try to use punctuation . But fail to do it correctly!!!!!1!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

It is a trivial annoyance.

• Advertisement

How well you jest. There will be a day when nobody understands anybody anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Ithinkyou'reblowingthingsoutofproportion

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I've a few spare. Sprinkle liberally......................................................

Not pointing at anyone in particular but some up and coming future of the country people seem to be at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

I thought this thread was about some complete b4stard who just got committed to jail for a very very long time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

There will be a day when nobody understands anybody anymore.

Maybe we're there already.

I thought this thread was about some complete b4stard who just got committed to jail for a very very long time..

For murdering the English language, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I thought the English language is an Evolving one, Sure in the past did they not use spaces. Someone invented them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Not pointing at anyone in particular but some up and coming future of the country people seem to be at fault.

The country people :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Now paragraphs on the other hand, you can't move without tripping over a paragraph around here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

If anyone knew of or could find me that quote by a famous author...

It's something like this:
    "Writing is simple. You start with a short sentence like this. Then, you thresh out the point you made slightly more in the next sentence so that you hold the attention of your audience. Finally, a short concluding sentence to wrap it up."

Except, needless to say, it's put far more eloquently and much wittier than that.

Punctuation is one thing, but lack of appropriate capitalisation fries my ass.

As long as I can understand what's being said, it's okay. It is easier when due care is taken though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Its times like these I wish my english teacher had not of been a hottie. I learnt nothing in that class because of the haze of lust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Candie wrote: »
    Punctuation is one thing, but lack of appropriate capitalisation fries my ass.

As long as I can understand what's being said, it's okay. It is easier when due care is taken though!

Is the world not a more fun place though without commas. Can lead to all kinds of tomfoolery and misunderstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

what i find annoying is when someone uses lol instead of a full stop lol i really hate it lol its really annoying and makes me want to stab them in the face lol

And lots and lots of exclamation marks!!!! Perky morons!!!!!!

You just know that if they had a single thought in their heads, it would die of loneliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Candie wrote: »
    And lots and lots of exclamation marks!!!! Perky morons!!!!!!

You just know that if they had a single thought in their heads, it would die of loneliness.

There's nothing wrong with exclamation marks ffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Here is the longest sentence I've come across. This is from my fave book, which in it's original form had no puncuation at all:

23 *And Jesus himself began to be about dthirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, fwhich was the son of Heli, 24 Which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi, which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Janna, which was the son of Joseph, 25 Which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Amos, which was the son of Naum, which was the son of Esli, which was the son of Nagge, 26 Which was the son of Maath, which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Semei, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Juda, 27 Which was the son of Joanna, which was the son of Rhesa, which was the son of gZorobabel, which was the son of gSalathiel, which was the son of Neri, 28 Which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Addi, which was the son of Cosam, which was the son of Elmodam, which was the son of Er, 29 Which was the son of Jose, which was the son of Eliezer, which was the son of Jorim, which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi, 30 Which was the son of Simeon, which was the son of Juda, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Jonan, which was the son of Eliakim, 31 Which was the son of Melea, which was the son of Menan, which was the son of Mattatha, which was the son of hNathan, which was the son of iDavid, 32 Which was the son of Jesse, which was the son of Obed, which was the son of Booz, which was the son of Salmon, which was the son of Naasson, 33 Which was the son of Aminadab, which was the son of Aram, which was the son of Esrom, which was the son of Phares, which was the son of Juda, 34 Which was the son of Jacob, which was the son of Isaac, which was the son of Abraham, kwhich was the son of Thara, which was the son of Nachor, 35 Which was the son of Saruch, which was the son of Ragau, which was the son of Phalec, which was the son of Heber, which was the son of Sala, 36 lWhich was the son of Cainan, which was the son of Arphaxad, mwhich was the son of Sem, which was the son of Noe, which was the son of Lamech, 37 Which was the son of Mathusala, which was the son of Enoch, which was the son of Jared, which was the son of Maleleel, which was the son of Cainan, 38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, nwhich was the son of God.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

^^^^^ Ah here, ffs.....

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with exclamation marks ffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Perky git :(
    deandean wrote: »
    Here is the longest sentence I've come across.

That's amateur stuff!

I read a book a few years ago and some sentences were pages long. I can't remember the title, but I think the author was Umberto Eco.

Advertisement