Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you buy your groceries?

Options
  • 31-05-2015 5:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Where do you do the majority of your grocery shopping?
    Do you stick to one shop, spread it around or go seeking offers?
    Are you swayed by grocery offer?
    Do you produce some food yourself?

Where do you do the majority grocery shop? 213 votes

Aldi
    0% 0 votes
    Dunnes Stores
    36% 78 votes
    Lidl
    9% 21 votes
    Marks&Spencer
    18% 40 votes
    Supervalu
    1% 3 votes
    Tesco
    11% 25 votes
    Dealz
    20% 44 votes
    Spar, Centra, Londis
    0% 1 vote
    I don't know
    0% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Aldi is the cheapest i find so i go there.

I usually get my spuds and other veg from country fields - they just grow there naturally so i fill up a few sacks every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

We do all our shopping online and have it delivered with Tesco. It's great. Without a car, getting to a shop was always a hassle and we'd spend ~2 hours each weekend shopping/traveling to the shop.

Now we spend ~15 minutes a week places an order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Tesco, Dunnes and Aldi mostly. Sometimes Lidl and Dealz for snacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

Mostly Lidl sometimes a few other places for bits and pieces though. Tesco or centra but mostly lidl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Supervalu. They've great selection and quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

SuperValu. It pains me to admit this, but my local SuperValu is a vast improvement on the Superquinn that preceded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Get most of it in Aldi, try to avoid SV like the plague if I can, the cashiers in SV drive me nuts chatting to the people in front about babbies and school and don't care if they hold everyone else up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Get most of it in Aldi, try to avoid SV like the plague if I can, the cashiers in SV drive me nuts chatting to the people in front about babbies and school and don't care if they hold everyone else up.

You've really important places to be, I'd imagine.

It's nice to be nice and connect with your fellow man.

I shop wherever it's most convenient/best value, I'm not concerned with how a store is perceived if they stock what I want and aren't pricing over the odds. There are plenty who don't want to be seen in low cost supermarkets, as if it matters.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Aldi; The best value for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Aldi, I've saved a small fortune shopping there over the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

I shop in Aldi, have done so for the past 7 years, only go to Tescos for baby food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Dunnes for me. Having worked in a job that involved calling to shops and supermarkets I have to say the standards in Dunnes with regards to food safety and stock rotation leaves the rest standing.
    Tesco being the worst by far.

I buy all of my meats if different butchers going with the 30 euro type deals. Donore meats and Troys butchers being the two I'd use the most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

ALDI mostly for me. Try to support the local shop too as much as I can. Grow a good bit of veg myself also.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Saipanne wrote: »
    You've really important places to be, I'd imagine.

Yeah I have actually, if people want to bladder let them do it outside work.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Usually toss up between Supervalu & Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I shop in my local Supervalu because I like to support the local community. They have a great selection of goods and the shop is spotlessly clean.

They are so obliging as well. There were two products that they didn't stock. I used to have to go to Dunnes to get them. I was chatting casually to

one of the lads that's in charge of the section of the goods I wanted. Lo and behold two weeks later they were on the shelf. Now that's fantastic

customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Dunnes almost always but a bit of Tesco too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

jopax wrote: »
    I shop in Aldi, have done so for the past 7 years, only go to Tescos for baby food.

why tesco for baby food?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Aldi...used to go to Tesco, but have saved a small fortune by shopping in Aldi

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Mostly Lidl, as most my shopping tends to be for fruit and veg, and their selection is brilliant. Aldi for a few things Lidl doesn't do, baking ingredients mostly.
    Everything else I'd get from either the health food shop or Asian shop (spices and pulses, mostly)

I avoid our local SuperValu like the plague. The shop reeks of the butcher's counter in the back, has little enough choice for which it happily charges 3 times as much as Aldi and Lidl, and I don't really fancy spending 10 minutes stuck behind other customers chatting about nothing interesting or just spend absolute ages packing their 3 items into their bags.
    Haven't set foot in there since the lottery caught up with times and allows you to buy tickets online.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Online with Supervalu, so handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Aldi, used to be superquinn, don't like shopping in German stores but other than having so few staff they are hard to beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

In lidl.... Or as the locals call it.. "Littles"
    It's pronounced "leedle"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

O Brien's in glasnevin mainly. Occasionally go to aldi for cleaning products. Thing about the German discounters is the impulse buys. I might see an offer for snorkling equipment in aldi,head up just to make that sole purchase and end up walking out laden down with bags of food. For that reason I try to give them a wide berth unless its necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Tesco, mainly for the range of stuff they have, but I buy my meat mainly in the local butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Shenshen wrote: »

I avoid our local SuperValu like the plague. The shop reeks of the butcher's counter in the back, has little enough choice for which it happily charges 3 times as much as Aldi and Lidl, and I don't really fancy spending 10 minutes stuck behind other customers chatting about nothing interesting or just spend absolute ages packing their 3 items into their bags.
    Haven't set foot in there since the lottery caught up with times and allows you to buy tickets online.

It just shows you how different the Supervalus are. I think they are a Musgrave

franchise? Our Supervalu is run by a local family and they are brilliant. I find the

prices competitive enough. If I had to go to my local Dunnes ( 16 miles away) it

would cost on petrol.

I enjoy the chat with the people at the check out.

Aldi and Lidl have at times very long queues to get your groceries checked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Tesco more out of laziness as there are 3 Tescos within 10 minutes walk of my house.,other than that it would be Aldi or LIDL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

We tend to shop in Tesco, it's more convenient to be honest.

We grow most of our veg from now until September, too long to list,

We support a local green grocers who only sell food from within a ten mile radius, I.e. milk with cream, yoghurt, fruit, eggs, mushrooms, butter, strawberries, bread, every week it's different depending on availability. It's great to go back to shops like this, but in a rural area it's fantastic.

I also use subscribe and save on amazon, dry dog food, 25L Eco friendly wash up liquid, Eco friendly toilet cleaner, even though a local supplier sells refills, rip off Ireland means I can still buy them from UK, free delivery, rather than bring my bottles to be filled locally.

I use coupons when I can, got some at Bloom, and make the most of a tenner off €50 spend. But Tesco is the most local shop for me, and I laugh when people say Dunnes I s cheaper, living in a rural area, not a lt of people have the choice STILL in this day and age, so is not particularly a definitive survey as not everyone has a choice,

Advertisement