Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

defo! EXACT. everything is siiick and chill

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Or regresses.

Yes but can language regress, we are hardly going to end up with grunts and whistles?
    New words come into daily use all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

You'd think they'd speak proper like, innit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Yes but can language regress, we are hardly going to end up with grunts and whistles?
    I personally find myself delving into Middle English with thoughts of 'oh squire' and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Cowabunga, dude.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Chill brah it's just a prank! Look, there's a camera right over there!

Can't wait for one of those kunts to get shot to out an end to some of the absolute bullsh!t they're calling pranks on YouTube nowadays

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I don't mind young people talking this awful shoite on the dort because there is always a chance they will cop on when they have to pay their own way in ife but when i hear 40 something well heeled hipsters talking like teens in their skinny jeans it makes me think we are all fooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

OP, please say the 91 in your username is not your year of birth, because someone born in the 90s being "auld fella" is too much for those of us born in the 70s to take. :o
    (Not that I disagree with you that those words are annoying - bae... dafuq?!)

Was showing my five year old son something yesterday when he told me that it 'looks like something from back in the 1994's'. I am hoping that he meant 1940's and somehow got mixed up because I'm not mentally ready to accept the 90's were long enough ago to be referenced like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

This must be confined to certain areas or a certain demographic, rather than ages I think. I work with teens and thankfully none of them speak like this. "Session moths" is the only phrase mentioned here that's used in these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

public static void main() {muthafcuka};

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Nucular Arms

"Oldthinkers unbellyfeel Ingsoc."

"It's a beautiful thing, the Destruction of words. Of course the great wastage is in the verbs and adjectives, but there are hundreds of nouns that can be got rid of as well. It isn't only the synonyms; there are also the antonyms. After all, what justification is there for a word, which is simply the opposite of some other word? A word contains its opposite in itself. Take ‘good,’ for instance. If you have a word like ‘good,’ what need is there for a word like ‘bad’? ‘Ungood’ will do just as well – better, because it's an exact opposite, which the other is not.

Or again, if you want a stronger version of ‘good,’ what sense is there in having a whole string of vague useless words like ‘excellent’ and ‘splendid’ and all the rest of them? ‘Plusgood’ covers the meaning or ‘doubleplusgood’ if you want something stronger still. Of course we use those forms already, but in the final version of Newspeak there'll be nothing else. In the end the whole notion of goodness and badness will be covered by only six words – in reality, only one word. Don't you see the beauty of that, Winston?

By curtailing frivolous and "fighting" words, the Party seeks to narrow the range of thought altogether, such that eventually, thoughtcrime will be literally impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Nucular Arms

Can you spare any cutter me brudders? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Love that fim and a good example of a separate language formed in a dystopian violent society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Urban dictionary for fleek:

Fleek
    To **** on ones education and pull **** out of their ass and call them words.
    My definition is on fleek.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Your problem may have been that you're on the DORT, OP.

As a relatively young fella myself, I find it really funny to see people commenting on Facebook/etc in a language they would never use speaking. I'm not talking about **** grammar etc, I mean the American slang you mentioned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Omg bae is is totes been so silly atm but its k cos I love her doe!!!!!!!!

/killself

Advertisement