Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did it become ok to throw cigarette Burts on the ground?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'll always flick my butt away.
    Can't stand those who just drop them on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Cigarettes contain nicotine, benzene, formaldehyde, ammonia, cadmium, arsenic and over four thousand other known chemicals.

So at ten quid for a pack of twenty, they're pretty good value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

PARlance wrote: »
    I'll always flick my butt away.
    Can't stand those who just drop them on the ground.

Away to where? CigaretteButtHeaven?

stimpson wrote: »
    It's the Earnies I'm concerned about. Nobody ever thinks of the Earnies

TAKE MINKS OFF
    TAKE THINGS OFF

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Butts are not a big problem,they'll get blown into the gutter or wash away.
    Chewing gum is what you need to be getting upitty about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

fussyonion wrote: »
    Am I meant to put it in my pocket?
    stub it out somewhere and well yes
    222233 wrote: »
    If there were sufficient bins and places to dock cigarettes it wouldn't be necessary, I would always walk to a bin if its walking distance having said that I never throw mine on the ground, I usually dock them on the ground then wrap it in tissue until I find a bin. People still stare at me as if I am a criminal when I do this.

stub it out well and bin it or stub it out and keep a bag for it,
    So I throw it in a bin? And set fire to it?
    What is your suggestion please?
    I don't smoke inside either. I have an ashtray-bucket thing out the back. Until someone starts providing ashtrays on every street corner, I don't see where else I'm meant to throw my butt.

Stub it out and keep a little bin, if it goes on fire its your problem, not everyones.
    Also by that logic, there arent toilets on every corner, do you take a **** on the ground? :eek:
    When there are you'll be able to blast it with piss

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    When did it become ok to throw cigarette butts on the ground?
    It seems to be the norm now. I counted 12 people doing this in the 5 mins I was waiting for the luas on Friday morning.

If I grew sweet wrappers on the ground I'd expect to be Givin out to or fined, but it seems acceptable if it's cigarette Butts.
    Were you hoping that they would grow into sweets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Smokers have no respect for their own health so expecting them to respect the environment is pushing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Best part about these topics is all the condescending judgemental holier than thou boardsies sticking their oar in :pac:

cloud493 wrote: »
    Best part about these topics is all the condescending judgemental holier than thou boardsies sticking their oar in :pac:

Iron my jeans when your there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

So I throw it in a bin? And set fire to it?
    What is your suggestion please?
    I don't smoke inside either. I have an ashtray-bucket thing out the back. Until someone starts providing ashtrays on every street corner, I don't see where else I'm meant to throw my butt.

Quench it with your lighter and put butt into cigarette box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

fret_wimp2 wrote: »

If I grew sweet wrappers on the ground I'd expect to be Givin out to or fined, but it seems acceptable if it's cigarette Butts.
    No, you'd be on dragon's den.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

cerastes wrote: »
    stub it out somewhere and well yes

stub it out well and bin it or stub it out and keep a bag for it,

Stub it out and keep a little bin, if it goes on fire its your problem, not everyones.
    Also by that logic, there arent toilets on every corner, do you take a **** on the ground? :eek:
    When there are you'll be able to blast it with piss

It's lost on the average howaya that the butt is in fact their problem. They're used to having everything done for them and that extends to disposal of their cig butts.

If litter pisses you off you're a condescending holier than thou. Right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It's a filthy scummy thing to do. Baffling that any normal person thinks it acceptable. As for the helpless nonsense of "well what am I supposed to do with them?" - that's your problem to sort out! Same self entitled rubbish spouted by dog owners who leave bags of dog crap everywhere. Get a small tin and put them in that until you find an appropriate place to dispose of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sweetsugar

Where l work (hotel/bar) there's always cigarette butts on the grounds by the doors, around the outside tables, even on the floor in the smoking room or even in their drinking glasses. There are plenty ash trays on the tables, counters and cigarette buckets outside the doors yet alot of the smokers don't use them :confused: they just throw them on the ground and every morning when l work, l have to brush them up. Its disgusting to see them there. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭130Kph

If litter pisses you off you're a condescending holier than thou. Right...
    You should hope I’m not in charge of Hell because what I have in store for litter-bugs in the next world – trust me, you’d wish you were never born. M’kay

I’d start with hanging, drawing quartering, tarring and feathering. Then a snack break. Then the real torture would begin.

So, no sunshine. Not cool.

sweetsugar wrote: »
    Where l work (hotel/bar) there's always cigarette butts on the grounds by the doors, around the outside tables, even on the floor in the smoking room or even in their drinking glasses. There are plenty ash trays on the tables, counters and cigarette buckets outside the doors yet alot of the smokers don't use them :confused: they just throw them on the ground and every morning when l work, l have to brush them up. Its disgusting to see them there. :mad:

Smoking is the most stupid silly habit on The planet, why would anyone with half a brain pay dearly to poison themselves.

130Kph wrote: »
    You should hope I’m not in charge of Hell because what I have in store for litter-bugs in the next world – trust me, you’d wish you were never born. M’kay

I’d start with hanging, drawing quartering, tarring and feathering. Then a snack break. Then the real torture would begin.

So, no sunshine. Not cool.
    Wasnt the poster you quoted just being sacastic to the poster that thinks he can throw his butts anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭130Kph

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Wasnt the poster you quoted just being sacastic to the poster that thinks he can throw his butts anywhere?
    Well, looking back - he/she was doing that in the second previous post to the one I quoted. So if that was his/her only point then I would have been in the wrong. But I was responding to the next post, which seemed to be saying "whats wrong with throwing litter on the ground"

Ok, Let's put this down to two mutually exclusive posts in a row and mis-understanding due to writing style...

• Advertisement

130Kph wrote: »
    Well, looking back - he/she was doing that in the second previous post to the one I quoted. So if that was his/her only point then I would have been in the wrong. But I was responding to the next post, which seemed to be saying "whats wrong with throwing litter on the ground"

Ok, Let's put this down to two mutually exclusive posts in a row and mis-understanding due to writing style...

What in the name of God/Allah are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am a smoker, but I always look for bin to throw it away. Or a drain. Here comes an issue now. Bins in Ireland are more scarce then common sense during the boom. So I go for good while amd don't see a single bin I do get wrid of it somewhere hidden or in a corner of a building.

*gets ready to be called am asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Smoking is the most stupid silly habit on The planet, why would anyone with half a brain pay dearly to poison themselves.

Because its cool always has been always will be

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Am I meant to put it in my pocket?

My gran smokes in secret so would sometimes hide a cigarette if she saw someone she knew.

The amount of pockets she has set on fire is unreal.

I am a smoker, but I always look for bin to throw it away. Or a drain. Here comes an issue now. Bins in Ireland are more scarce then common sense during the boom. So I go for good while amd don't see a single bin I do get wrid of it somewhere hidden or in a corner of a building.

Tbh I smoke myself and have done it myself. Its the attitude of some ppl that gets me. Folks flicking cigs out of doorways almost in your face or out car windows so as not to have to empty there car ashtray.

Because its cool always has been always will be

If you're 12 maybe.

Smoking is shameful. Always embarrassed to excuse myself to go smoke.

V addictive however and V difficult to give up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

First world problems number 5671

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Around the same time it became cool to drive while talking on the phone even though most phones these days have a hands-free capability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I dont think thats the jist of the majority of replies, Ive nothing against people having their habit or vice, I dont want someone nagging me not to to do things I like, so long as Im not being inconsiderate.

The things is they are everywhere, I think they are supposed to cause and be a problem in drains, basically anywhere they go, aside from that, they need to be filtered out of the water system to process it.

epa.tas.gov.au/documents/cigarette_butt_litter_fact_sheet.pdf

Bush fires might not be a problem here but maybe slimline personal ashtrays might be a solution, fairly inconsiderate when you see someone tip out an ashtray from the car window to the side of the road or car park, even seeing them piled up at junctions, ridiculously ignorant.

Advertisement