Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

landsdowne road agreement

Options
  • 29-05-2015 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

just watching the news......how will you vote for the newly minted LRA , do you think the unions have let us down again? I believe they think that the extra few euro will buy the government the election as they think we all have very short memories and will forget everything that has happened in the last few years in education.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Tbh I think that's exactly what'll happen and they'll sail home for another few years!

I'm a bit nervous about the sliding scale, I'd say lots of teachers will have next to no payback, and there will be efficiencies thrown into the mix for good measure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Croke Park and now Landsdowne?!Are they determined to equate sporting venues with misery?Idiots .

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

2011abc wrote: »
    Croke Park and now Landsdowne?!Are they determined to equate sporting venues with misery?Idiots .

Tolka Park is the next agreement!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Does this have any relation to measures announced in FEMPI that stated it would undone in 2016 etc or the magic s&s payment we were all getting added to payscale??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Apparently the main payback isnt until (Sept 2016 and after) theyre re-elected .Hahahahaha!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,143 ✭✭✭✭km79

s and s "payment"......?
    if that disappears now I may explode!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Full document is here

Your head would spin trying to figure it out. Or maybe it's just me

5.4. The Government has also indicated that it intends to provide in the legislation for a grace period consistent with the term of this Agreement during which both the reduction in pay and any deferral of increment progression provided for under the Financial Emergency Measures in the Public Interest Act, 2013 will be disregarded.

I cant work that one out

Or this one

5.2. The Parties note that the Government intends to include in the legislation the provisions necessary to commence the process to reduce the pay reductions applied under the FEMPI Act 2013.

Maybe my brain has stopped working!

Are increments on or off?

Also this restates the HRA and extends it.

To my mind, and maybe i'm wrong, HRA will run out soon anyway and pay restoration on that end of things is due to be restored. Increments would be back on too and there would be a restoration to the point we would have been at.

So now we are being asked to take a small pay increase so that we can continue to engage in the extra hours etc?

Surely the sensible move is to reject this, ride out the hra, watch FEMPI disappear and we will be no worse of financially but better off in terms of time?

33 hours at the notional rate of €50/hour is €1650.

How many teachers will get the 2.5% - 0
    Many are over 65k - will gain v little either (depending on what is proposed for the pay cut imposed here due to hra, don't get the wording myself this minute)

Who will gain? by how much? at what cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

A measly payment and no restoration of conditions?
    They can take a hike as far as I'm concerned!

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

A measly payment and no restoration of conditions?
    They can take a hike as far as I'm concerned!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,331 ✭✭✭✭ted1

phkk wrote: »
    Tolka Park is the next agreement!

Tayto park is next, free crisps for lunch

• Advertisement

Under Fempi, over 65k see a pay reduction on their payslips (its an actual minus as opposed to a paycut that isn't illustrated on payslip. So that would be reinstated along with deferred increments being back to normal.
    There is still no mention of that addition to our payscale for getting rid of s&s.....

• Registered Users Posts: 48,143 ✭✭✭✭km79

TheDriver wrote: »
    Under Fempi, over 65k see a pay reduction on their payslips (its an actual minus as opposed to a paycut that isn't illustrated on payslip. So that would be reinstated along with deferred increments being back to normal.
    There is still no mention of that addition to our payscale for getting rid of s&s.....

One would hope that there will be seperate sector specific proposals too and that payment is still there
    Otherwise its just mental !

In what circumstances?

In all circumstances I would think, its written in FEMPI legislation. Hence why these talks give rises up to 65k because they get money back under FEMPI which only took money from over 65k

So the other elements of HRA continue but the pay reduction is discontinued?

We could do with a couple of case studies to show the impact on salaries.

It was because there was talk about focussing on low pay that I assumed the over 65k would remain as it is

Everyone needs to benefit from the rises in the same way that everyone got cut at some stage. At least its through PRD and not meddling with the payscale. The croke parks are always going to be around in some form, governments have spent too much time getting them there to just get rid of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

The croke parks are always going to be around in some form, governments have spent too much time getting them there to just get rid of them

Yeah , just like Irish Water .Way too much passive acceptance on part of teachers has resulted in decimation of conditions over recent years .Not so much that we're not prepared to fight the hard fight but actually the ludicrous situation that on repeated occassions we have surrendered from positions of considerable strength .

With pay on the table, most wont even bat an eyelid at continuing these hours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

The last congress I went to was in 2013 when we were supposedly fighting Croke Park 2,which later morphed into HR. I remember one of the speakers from astifightback calling the agreements Croke Park X and explaining very plausibly why these agreements were for the long term, hence CP 1,2,3,4 becoming an interminable CP X. A dark vision of the education system in Ireland,all too soon becoming reality.:(

ytareh wrote: »
    Yeah , just like Irish Water .Way too much passive acceptance on part of teachers has resulted in decimation of conditions over recent years .Not so much that we're not prepared to fight the hard fight but actually the ludicrous situation that on repeated occassions we have surrendered from positions of considerable strength .

Could not agree more,ytareh. And in the process of surrendering from strength we have turned the profession from an interesting job where you made a difference and were respected,even admired, to at best, something like a low- mid range,office worker in a dead end job, or at worst, glorified babysitters with stressful targets and responsibility for everything, ie doormat.

When I told a friend the other day about the new JC proposals,he replied expectantly."But what are ye getting out of it?

That's the biggest joke and sums up just how far we have fallen!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

With pay on the table, most wont even bat an eyelid at continuing these hours

Except they won't be just continuing. They will be more hours and more "productivity" demanded.

katydid wrote: »
    Except they won't be just continuing. They will be more hours and more "productivity" demanded.

All the more reason to vote them down while we have the chance.

acequion wrote: »
    All the more reason to vote them down while we have the chance.

I agree, but I think the majority will take the money and run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

Croke Park extended

Haddington Road extended.

You have to laugh at those at the teaching conferences who were proposing motions to get rid of the Croke Park hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

TUI recommend their members reject the agreement unless extra hours are removed.

http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/0603/705535-teachers/

TUI recommend their members reject the agreement unless extra hours are removed.

http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/0603/705535-teachers/

And rightly so. It's not the one or two hours concerned, it's the principle of the matter. Those measures were forced on us under emergency legislation, the emergency is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭techteacher

tui can see there is an opportunity here as we know enda wants back in, what do you think the vote will be as things stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

Rowing back .....as the emergency is over!
    Teachers are going to have to work longer hours and get less.This has been the case over the past 5 or 6 years and its not going to change anytime soon.
    Principals are now taking it upon themselves to draw up the Croke Park hours whereas it should be a case of all staff having an input (as it was when said hours first appeared).Also the workload on teachers has grown out of all proportion over the past few years and this is noticeable in the sick leave which has grown steadily particularly in the last year to 18 months.Of course this plays into the Governments hands.How long can the profession continue like this?How long before we have a responsible approach to educating our children? .......and Kenny thinks that he will be elected again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

INTO recommend a yes vote.

Plus ca change, eh Shiela Nunan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

ethical wrote: »
    Rowing back .....as the emergency is over!
    Teachers are going to have to work longer hours and get less.This has been the case over the past 5 or 6 years and its not going to change anytime soon.
    Principals are now taking it upon themselves to draw up the Croke Park hours whereas it should be a case of all staff having an input (as it was when said hours first appeared).Also the workload on teachers has grown out of all proportion over the past few years and this is noticeable in the sick leave which has grown steadily particularly in the last year to 18 months.Of course this plays into the Governments hands.How long can the profession continue like this?How long before we have a responsible approach to educating our children? .......and Kenny thinks that he will be elected again!

The Croke Park hours are here to stay.

The Haddington Road hours are here to stay.

Heck we're even doing the 12 hours of Circular 58/2004 . . . .

Advertisement