Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation

Options
  • 29-05-2015 1:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

curious to know the meaning of the irish word "sonnaigh", as in the townland Coill an tsonnaigh. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    curious to know the meaning of the irish word "sonnaigh", as in the townland Coill an tsonnaigh. Thanks

Fox. The wood of the fox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    Thanks

On second thoughts I'm not so sure. Fox would more correctly be sionnach/sionnaigh. Maybe, maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

feargale wrote: »
    On second thoughts I'm not so sure. Fox would more correctly be sionnach/sionnaigh. Maybe, maybe not.

initially I thought it was fox but my Irish being rusty thought it might be old irish-just a couple of townlands Kyleatunna and Knockatunna side by side wondered what they might have in common:confused:

just found this http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/history/frost/appendix7_k.htm

refers to a milking place, as does "booley"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Sionnaigh is the genitive case of sionnach (fox).

Coill an tsionnaigh = Wood of the fox. ie fox's wood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Sionnaigh is the genitive case of sionnach (fox).

Coill an tsionnaigh = Wood of the fox. ie fox's wood

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

http://www.logainm.ie/ga/6312?s=Coill+an+tsonnaigh

I'm assuming that's the townland you are talking about.

Dineen has:
    ---
    SONNACH
    -AIGH, {plural} {idem} and -AIGHE, {masculine} coll, stakes or pales;
    a palisade or bulwark;
    {also, alias} wall or mound ({superlative}});
    {figuratively} protection, defence, a protector;
    SONNACH DAIOGEAN CLÁIR, a firm bretasche of boards;
    SONNACH UMHAIDHE, a brazen paling;
    SONNACH IARNAIDHE AR GACH MÚS. an iron chevaux-de-frise on each wall.
    ---

Check out page 458 in following book (linked) for the townland mentioned in Logainm, that would imply that Dineen is right.
    https://archive.org/stream/irishnamesofplac03joycuoft#page/458/mode/2up

I had a look in eDIL and I see following:

---
    sonnach
    Forms: tsonnaig; sonduch; sondaigi;
    Meaning: an enclosure, palisade (of wood, metal, or stone):;
    DIL 2012 S 345.34
    ----
    sonnach o,m. (? orig. n.) (2 sonn ) ns. in s.€, TFerbe 237 . gs. in tsonnaig, 236. ds sonduch, BB 490b11 . np. sondaigi, Snedgus u. Mac R. 31.12 . an enclosure, palisade (of wood, metal, or stone): s.€ .i. bábhun, O´Cl. insi n-ailli ┐ s.€ umaide tara medón, LU 1727 . s.€ íarn for cach múr | forsin bátár nóe cend, 9384. sondach ednen, IT iii 84.1 . sondach leacdha, RC ix 470.4 . ro saig C. . . . co mbátar fri cnes in tṡonnaig, TFerbe 236 . dochuaid cách na irchomair dar sond abdain (dar sondaigibh sitharda, v.l.) in dunaid immach, TBC 1034 . for sonnachaib ┐ dumaib ┐ chnoccaib togla an denna, TTr.² 1864 . coem in dúnad . . . a shondach ba sáll, Aisl. MC 37.11 . pīolāit . . . ┐ sunnach íarnaidhe ina tiomchioll, Feis TC 925 . co n-dernsat m-buailid m-bodbdai do ṡondaigib sciath . . . dianechtar chatha, Alex. 242 = do sonduch sciath, BB 490b11 . Of a hero: s.€ suairc nach dubh re deoraidh, Ó Bruad. iii 188.3 .
    ---

in edil you can see Old Irish form "in tsonnaig" (in = an)

Advertisement