Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell is happening here

Options
  • 26-05-2015 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Onions.

Like what the actual **** is up with them? Am after slicing up three to add to my dinner after frying and I'm crying like someone who's been rioting in the Bogside.

I love to eat the things but this do be my first time deciding to prepare them myself and add them to a dish (pasta bolognese for those curious). Kitchen is making me weep everytime I do be going in.

It's like an aversion, wonder if Cain felt this bad slicing up Abel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Slicing the inner bulb is what makes you cry. Slice 3/4 into it and peel the layers off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

The synthase enzyme converts the sulfoxides (amino acids) of the onion into sulfenic acid. The unstable sulfenic acid rearranges itself into syn-ropanethial-S-oxide. Syn-propanethial-S-oxide gets into the air and comes in contact with our eyes. The lachrymal glands become irritated and produces the tears!

So gypsy magic, basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

You just killed mama onion, papa onion and baby onion, op. The tears are to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

strobe wrote: »
    The synthase enzyme converts the sulfoxides (amino acids) of the onion into sulfenic acid. The unstable sulfenic acid rearranges itself into syn-ropanethial-S-oxide. Syn-propanethial-S-oxide gets into the air and comes in contact with our eyes. The lachrymal glands become irritated and produces the tears!

So gypsy magic, basically.

I put my swim goggles on and I still cried. Your technobabble is busted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Reiver wrote: »

Bahahhahaha. That made me laugh. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I love to eat the things but this is my first time deciding to prepare them myself

God love you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Just shove anotheronion up your arse OP it'll divert the acidity elsewhere hence stem the tears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Op is old enough to be allowed to handle a knife, but doesn't know chopping onions is irritable to the human eye?

I don't know whether to cry or chip an onion.

Op is old enough to be allowed to handle a knife, but doesn't know chopping onions is irritable to the human eye?

I don't know whether to cry or chip an onion.

I amn't being funny. Haven't to do it before. I can peel spuds and slice carrots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

Onions like life have many layers.

• Advertisement

I like them in salads!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Be a man and eat them raw

I amn't being funny. Haven't to do it before. I can peel spuds and slice carrots.

Whether or not you've personally chopped them yourself or not, surely you heard (if only as a rumour) that chopping onions causes people to 'cry'?

I do! :pac: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/ingredient-focus-onions

They are not for people with sensitive tummies though. My mom finds them a bit difficult and garlic. Which I also love.

By the way I love your name!

Whether or not you've personally chopped them yourself or not, surely you heard (if only as a rumour) that chopping onions causes people to 'cry'?

Lad I amn't being Steven Fry. Nobody remembers everything. I had someone today not believe me that their does be an Irish language, ignorances doesn't have bounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I've heard you don't cry if you sing as you're cutting them, preferably Whitney.
    What a lovely image

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Breathe through your mouth, not through your nose when chopping onions. It won't solve it completely, but it will help.

Similarly, if you can chop near an open window with a breeze blowing in, that will help too.

Otherwise, grin and bear it.

Slicing the inner bulb is what makes you cry. Slice 3/4 into it and peel the layers off.

Is this kosher? like does it actually work? Why only the inner part

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Onions are amazing, totally worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Lad I amn't being Steven Fry. Nobody remembers everything. I had someone today not believe me that their does be an Irish language, ignorances doesn't have bounds.

Not being Stephen Fry you say? You are as eloquent anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Chew on the bottom end of a matchstick while cutting them. Wear a stetson for the full cowboy effect.

It might not work but you do be looking the part laaaaaad.

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Chew on the bottom end of a matchstick while cutting them. Wear a stetson for the full cowboy effect.

It might not work but you do be looking the part laaaaaad.

I live alone. it won't impress a soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Pfft crybaby. :pac:
    But chopping an onion releases a chemical that affects the tear ducts (I think)

I'm not mocking or belittling, I'm just a little bemused tbh.

I thought everyone knew this :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Onions.

Like what the actual **** is up with them? Am after slicing up three to add to my dinner after frying and I'm crying like someone who's been rioting in the Bogside.

I love to eat the things but this do be my first time deciding to prepare them myself and add them to a dish (pasta bolognese for those curious). Kitchen is making me weep everytime I do be going in.

It's like an aversion, wonder if Cain felt this bad slicing up Abel.

:D That's some funny sh1t!!!!!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I think if you press the tip of your tongue behind your front teeth on the top while your chopping it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

OP, the trick is not to get emotionally attached to the little buggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

If you press a piece of the chopped onion against your affected eyeballs it really helps, try it and let me know how you get On!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

Chop them faster.. I can chop it up quick and the eyes sting only once in a while...

Advertisement