Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia Stage 16 - Pinzolo - Aprica **contains unmasked spoilers*

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

MPFG wrote: »
    On twitter ...where else :D

Its a report from L'equipe supposedly

Interesting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I took a look at the records for the Mortirolo and considering how it appeared and his effort his time wasn't extraordinary, particularly in comparison to the dodgy years.
    http://www.climbing-records.com/2015/05/contador-fastest-time-on-mortirolo-2015.html

Interesting that Contador yesterday was slower than Jalabert.

That EPO must really be great stuff to turn Jalabery into a mountain goat!

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Great performance from Contador. Love his climbing style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Brian? wrote: »

Yeah, I know it's only one performance, but to see Contador essentially TT his way up at full gas and still be slower than some groups (who were probably just under 100% effort) in the past is encouraging.

Yeah, I know it's only one performance, but to see Contador essentially TT his way up at full gas and still be slower than some groups (who were probably just under 100% effort) in the past is encouraging.

I'll never be 100% sure than any pro cyclist is clean. But we're seeing a lot more believable and human performances.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I can't see as a smart move for either Landa or Sky. Sky already have Froome, Porte, Roche and Thomas who could all potentially lead on a grand tour.

Landa should be angling for a top spot or protected rider spot at someone like Tinkoff-Saxo or Movistar. Strong teams but with only one GC contender on each. I don't count Kreuziger or Valverde as GC contenders anymore, before anyone says it.

If you're saying Roche can lead on a grand tour then surely you can't discount Valverde and Kreuziger. I'm a massive Nico fan but don't think we will see him in that role again.

Although I agree with you regarding Landa, after his performance he can have his pick of teams effectively. With rumors about Kwiatkowski joining Sky, I can't see Landa joining up as a smart move for either party.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Well as Contador said we'll have to see how Landa goes in other races but if this Giro is a statement of his genuine future standard, then he has his choice of teams. There's only Sky, Movistar with Quintana, SaxoT & Astana with real GT contenders in their ranks as far as I know offhand. Landa obviously has a fair bit to make up in terms of TTing but he's been awesome in the mountains & with the impression that there could be a fair bit more in the tank. If he had attacked the moment they hit the final slopes yesterday I wonder how much time he could have taken back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

When it comes to TV coverage, I'd like to see footage of the autobus coming up, to see how the mere mortals of the sport struggle up the big climbs, presumably wobbling all over the road comedy style like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VSayKZOAu4 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

That EPO must really be great stuff to turn Jalabery into a mountain goat!

If you take Contador's time and slot it in on the all time list it is surrounded by EPO era dopers. Also he knocked it back to the Lotto riders pace once he caught them and dropped Aru, wasn't full gas for half the climb.

Inquitus wrote: »
    If you take Contador's time and slot it in on the all time list it is surrounded by EPO era dopers. Also he knocked it back to the Lotto riders pace once he caught them and dropped Aru, wasn't full gas for half the climb.

He slots in around the top 10 alright. But considering how good he is, he should be well ahead of the likes of Jalabert, Ricco and Heras. He's not though.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    If you're saying Roche can lead on a grand tour then surely you can't discount Valverde and Kreuziger. I'm a massive Nico fan but don't think we will see him in that role again.

Roche may be a stretch alright.
    Although I agree with you regarding Landa, after his performance he can have his pick of teams effectively. With rumors about Kwiatkowski joining Sky, I can't see Landa joining up as a smart move for either party.

Kwiatowsku as well? He'd be mad to go to Sky.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Yeah Kwiatkowski was rumored to be heading there in the last few months. I agree, although I'm not sure Etixx is the right place either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Contador's speed on the climb yesterday was effected by the mad dash into the climb on the chase back...this knocked the stuffing out of TCS & Contador...hence his speed...I saw he said that himself in some interview or other

We will see about Landa to SKY but if Porte moves on then maybe
    Of course he will have to go through some examination....as Aru's bio passport was under scrutiny hence the Greg Henderson tweet according to the cycling podcast

We have also seen riders produce an extraordinary performance and then they are no where in the next GT....the mystery of form

Roche may be a stretch alright.

Kwiatowsku as well? He'd be mad to go to Sky.

Roche has the best record in Grand Tours after Froome at SKY

Everyone talks about Konig as the heir apparent...He can definitely TT but he is not a great climber IMO...good on the short steep climbs

Nico is a better climber in grand Tours but his TT has let him down...if he can improve that at SKY I cannot see why he shoudl be discounted and Konig acclaimed

Nor why he can't go higher than top 5 at the Vuelta especially with less weight

2 weeks ago he seemed optimistic that he would be given lead at the Vuelta this year

MPFG wrote: »
    Roche has the best record in Grand Tours after Froome at SKY

Everyone talks about Konig as the heir apparent...He can definitely TT but he is not a great climber IMO...good on the short steep climbs

Nico is a better climber in grand Tours but his TT has let him down...if he can improve that at SKY I cannot see why he shoudl be discounted and Konig acclaimed

Nor why he can't go higher than top 5 at the Vuelta especially with less weight

2 weeks ago he seemed optimistic that he would be given lead at the Vuelta this year

I didn't mention Konig for a reason. I think Roche is a better bet for a GC top 5 or podium.

Roche getting a podium at the Vuelta really depends on how the TdF goes. It won't be until after the tour when we know who's riding the Vuelta. If Froome doesn't win the Tour, he could have a crack at the Vuelta. Same goes for Nibali and Quintana.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I didn't mention Konig for a reason. I think Roche is a better bet for a GC top 5 or podium.

Roche getting a podium at the Vuelta really depends on how the TdF goes. It won't be until after the tour when we know who's riding the Vuelta. If Froome doesn't win the Tour, he could have a crack at the Vuelta. Same goes for Nibali and Quintana.

Froome would have more of a craic!

Given that Bertie is unlikely to do the Vuelta I'd say most of the top GC lads will do the Vuelta. Given more so if bertie whens the Tour

godtabh wrote: »
    Froome would have more of a craic!

Given that Bertie is unlikely to do the Vuelta I'd say most of the top GC lads will do the Vuelta. Given more so if bertie whens the Tour

Can't see Bertie doing the Vuelta no matter how the Tour goes. It'd be great if he wins the Tour and we see Froome v Nibali v Quintana in the Vuelta.

I still think the Tour is Froome's to lose and if he does win it, there'll be no Vuelta for him.

they/them/theirs

I think we will see Nibali/Quintana/Valverde & Purito in the Vuelta

For SKY we will see Nico, Henao & possibly Konig if he doesn't ride the Tour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Jalabert - what a joke - green jersey turned mountains classification and GT winner...incredible what himself and the rest of the Once team "achieved"

Edit - apologies - I seem to have quoted the incorrect post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

If Contador wins the Tour and the Giro, I'd say he might do the Vuelta and then retire regardless...there's a high chance that the Vuelta could be very weak besides Aru and Uran again...could be winnable...Valverde and Purito will go as well but Alberto can easily beat them...I'd be shocked if he didn't attempt the triple if he wins Giro and Tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Doc07

oconnpad wrote: »
    for all the struggles Aru had, he still did that climb in 47 mins, still impressive

I was talking about this at work with a colleague. Not a particular fan of his but Aru showed real guts, plenty of others (Porte...) could have completely dropped the head and lost 15-30mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

If Contador wins the Tour and the Giro, I'd say he might do the Vuelta and then retire regardless...there's a high chance that the Vuelta could be very weak besides Aru and Uran again...could be winnable...Valverde and Purito will go as well but Alberto can easily beat them...I'd be shocked if he didn't attempt the triple if he wins Giro and Tour.

Do you think that Froome, Nibali, and Quintana will only compete in one GT this year?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

13 mountain stages in la Vuelta this year, it's far from weak!!! Roll on August :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Do you think that Froome, Nibali, and Quintana will only compete in one GT this year?

Yes.

Advertisement