Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passing Away Peacefully.

Options
  • 26-05-2015 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody pass away peacefully in their sleep or is it just a case there was nobody around to see the last moments?
    Surely if you're dying there's going to be some sort of fighting for breath or chest pain.

Maybe it does happen,just always took it with a pinch of salt.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

It happens.

My uncle had lukaemia and developed a load of complications and we were told he was going to have an agonising death.

Instead, he fell asleep while getting a foot rub, surrounded by family. No struggle for breath, no visible pain. Just drifted off to sleep and stopped breathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

kneemos wrote: »
    Does anybody pass away peacefully in their sleep or is it just a case there was nobody around to see the last moments?
    Surely if you're dying there's going to be some sort of fighting for breath or chest pain.

You never saw a person die then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

It happens. I was with someone who just passed away quietly like that. Gasp their last breath and they are gone. They had been very sick though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Happens a lot with old people, they just dont wake up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Seen it happen with grandparents. Does happen. Suppose its one of the better ways to go, no pain, gentle resting, then gone into that long good night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

difficult question op. i had the unfortunate experience of watching my father die a couple of years ago from cancer. i heard his last words and seen his final breath. id like to think he passed peacefully. with the amount of morphine and other drugs in his system, i hope they made it painless for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Always sad to see a loved one go. My grandmother passed peacefully in the end. By did suffer some in the run up. I think the morphine drip soften the final stages of the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Was also with my mother when she passed away 3 years ago.
    After months of illness she passed away peacefully in her sleep.

We were all there holding her hand and it's the saddest moment I've ever experienced but comforting that we were there with her. Still get goosebumps thinking about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't know.
    I've been there on a number of occasions, to do with family.
    No, it wasn't pleasant in either case.
    Cancer is a b@stard, simple as.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Most GPs prefer heart attack, massive tight pressure in the chest and you're gone.
    No lingering, becoming more and more dependant and sicker, no wasting away in front of family or, worse still, alone in some antiseptic ward somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭swervring

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Most GPs prefer heart attack, massive tight pressure in the chest and you're gone.
    No lingering, becoming more and more dependant and sicker, no wasting away in front of family or, worse still, alone in some antiseptic ward somewhere.
    Maybe if you could schedule it instead of it being a massive shock to everyone. That's what happened to my mam - she woke up not feeling very well and then in a split second she was gone. Peaceful in that there was no time for it to be anything but, but for the rest of us, the aftermath was chaos and such an enormous shock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

My mum passed away surrounded by her family in the Mater Hospital. Her big fear was not being able to breath and chocking as it was her lungs that caused her passing. So when she "turned" the hospital staff did there thing, brought us in and we watched her pass away and it was very peaceful if not a sur real experience. I held her hand, she never moved just lay there peacefully till she went. A moment that most people wish they got so I felt very lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

My grandad passed away peacefully in his sleep.

Not so for the 35 passengers in his bus he was diving at the time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My mum was sick and elderly, she knew it was time. She spent the day in bed only for the last two days of her life and passed very peacefully - there was absolutely no doubt about that when we saw her - she had had someone with her 24 hours a day for the last few days but managed to be alone - she sent my sister to 'get some rest' - for less than an hour when she passed away.

:) she was, as always, in charge right till the end. She did it her way!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

kneemos wrote: »

Can go either way.
    Some pass very easy and peacefully. It can be very distressing on everybody when it's not peaceful but usually good hospital or palliative care staff can ease the passing considerably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

looksee wrote: »
    My mum was sick and elderly, she knew it was time. She spent the day in bed only for the last two days of her life and passed very peacefully - there was absolutely no doubt about that when we saw her - she had had someone with her 24 hours a day for the last few days but managed to be alone - she sent my sister to 'get some rest' - for less than an hour when she passed away.

I would love to have that control over my own death. Fair play to her.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    This is how my Dad died and it was the most painful for us as we never got to say goodbye. It's a catch 32. You dont want them to go but if they do, you dont want them to suffer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

My grandfather died last November, he was always more of a father to me than a grandfather. I was just incredibly proud to call him my grandfather.

He was told last July he had lung cancer and started treatment almost immediately, unfortunately it started to affect his mind and by the time the end came he was a shell of the hero I grew up with.

I was in work and got a phone call from a family member telling me he had taken a turn and they were on the way to the hospital, by the time they got there he was gone. The nurses said he didn't suffer, he was sitting in a chair and just "went". I'm not sure how true that is but it's reassuring to think he went like that.

I'm just happy that I was with him the night before, we had a laugh(as much as we could considering his mind wasn't what it used to be) and as I left his room he grabbed my hand and refused to let go for almost a minute. It's like he knew he was going and wanted to say goodbye like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

looksee wrote: »

This is exactly the same as my grandfather, for the time he was in hospital he was never alone. The day he died was the one day none of my family went in to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Zanablue

My poor dad died of cancer and for the last few weeks he was in terrible pain even with the morphine. He eventually went into a coma before the end, I was there when he took his last breath and his face seemed peaceful enough. Cancer is an awful disease.

• Advertisement

I've been present at the deaths of two people. Both were a peaceful 'petering out'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

We took in our grandmother for a few years when she had alzheimer's, she eventually became a statue as she mentally vanished and we were left with her in a vegetative state.

The last few weeks got worse for her as she could barely eat / hold down food so she went from being a regular heavy-set Irish granny to a scrawny woman by the end.

The mother knew by the state of her one night that she only had a few hours left so she was able to ring the relatives in the middle of the night to come where they were able to be by her side when she died.

A few hard gasps and that was that for her. A sad end to a life, and one way I never ever want to go out, but it was also a relief the whole thing was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

My Dad passed away coming up on 5 years ago now, from a rare form of lung cancer. He had asked for us in the middle of the night so we all went in. He was fully conscious and knew who we were and chatted a bit, though it was hard as he was finding it hard to breathe. He became extremely agitated after a while, saying that he had to go home, and trying to get out of the bed, even though he had lost the use of his legs a few months previously. I think he possibly realised that he was going, and was panicking. At this point we were sent out, and when we came back in he was completely sedated, he never spoke or opened his eyes again. I thank God for whatever they gave him, as he passed peacefully about 15 hours later with us all around him. I shudder to think how distressing those hours would have been otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,685 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My Grandad cleaned the house went to bed and fell asleep. It was as if he knew he was heading off. He rarely cleaned the house top to bottom. But he did it that day.

And they found him the next day with a smile on his face looking very peaceful asleep in his bed.

Im glad he seemed to do it his own way, and sure hes still here in all our memories and actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

I remember a story from an old boy down the road.
    He was on his way out family called, his son was the same age as me.

The night he died he joked and laughed like he normally would, made fun of his son for crying like he normally did at one point you could hear him shouting through the house "You ain't getting me yet god!!" laughing like a lunatic..

He calmed down as almost to catch his breath and that was it...
    Happened so quick like someone turning out a light....

I think this made is easier funnily enough on the family he was always a joker right to the very end!

My uncle died of caner a few years back, he turned to my mum and said he was scared just before he died that was very upsetting he did not seem like he was in pain just afraid and aware of what was about to happen..

I am honest I do not like the idea of going peacefully.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
    Because their words had forked no lightning they
    Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
    Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
    And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
    Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
    Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Dylan Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have to admit, when the times comes I want a quick (preferably) painless death - ideally in my sleep or so sudden that I don't have to think/worry about it.

The idea of dying a slow, painful death on "treatment" that's almost as bad as the disease, fading away because of a terrible disease like Alzheimers, or worse.. becoming a burden on my loved ones and watching them try to be strong and supportive but torn up as well is not the way I want to go.

It's partly why we need the right to die in such circumstances. If I found myself in a condition where I was unable to look after myself and/or in pain for the time I had left, I'd rather just get it over with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

I dunno, my dad's was described as somewhat peaceful but it was more that he was just too tired to fight it and/or lacked a fear of death due to being such a devout Catholic? About ten seconds after everything went quiet he have these three gigantic gasps where his tongue came flying out of his mouth that absolutely horrified me too. Still haven't gotten a clear answer as to whether that is a thing that happens all the time.

It happening in your sleep sounds best anyways. Feel like morphine could be really confusing and distressing if you haven't had it before then.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

_Brian wrote: »
    Can go either way.
    Some pass very easy and peacefully. It can be very distressing on everybody when it's not peaceful but usually good hospital or palliative care staff can ease the passing considerably.

This. Unfortunately sometimes people find it difficult to let go but by and large if palliative care services are available in a timely fashion, distressing symptoms at the end of life can be anticipated, planned for and if not eliminated then at least contained somewhat. It's always such a shame when people have the unshaken belief that by involving palliative care it must mean that the person is "on the way out". I know of people who have been receiving palliative care alongside active treatment (chemotherapy/radiotherapy) for upwards of 5 years! Palliative care isn't an interchangeable term for end of life care, though it does incorporate it. It's about helping people to manage distressing symptoms such as pain/nausea/fatigue/breathlessness so that the person can live their life to the fullest for as long as possible.
    This is exactly the same as my grandfather, for the time he was in hospital he was never alone. The day he died was the one day none of my family went in to him.

A complete hypothesis here, by all means feel free to discredit me but I've seen this happen so many times. My take on it is that maybe that person just needs to be alone to let themselves go.

It's also a pity that when people think of terminal illness, they think cancer. There are many other terminal illnesses such as COPD, heart failure, kidney failure, MND which don't get talked about in the same way as cancer, but can lead to very distressing deaths if support for symptom management isn't available.

If anyone's interested, there's currently a forum request for a Terminal Illness forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057333271

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
    Because their words had forked no lightning they

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
    Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
    And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
    Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
    Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Dylan Thomas

I was only thinking of that poem a few minutes ago. I recently saw Interstellar and was trying to make sense of it.

My grandmother walked past me at home, looking at the ground deep in thought. When she was in the other room we heard a crash. The doctor said she was dead before she hit the ground.

For me, id like to know before and I'd prefer to be outside. I'd love to see the sky rather than a ceiling or some light bulb (if I'd be aware of any surroundings).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

So many people mentioning morphine. I have a horrible fear since my fathers death that the high doses of morphine might have just rendered him unable to communicate, rather than completely knocked him out. It might be an irrational fear, I dunno, but I had been talking to him for a while with no response, then I asked him a personal favor and he responded at that very second with a large groan/roar - even though before - and after - he was noisily snoring away...hence my doubts as to what the morphine actually does...

When he did go though, it looked like he went peacefully enough - everyone gathered round - just a few last gaspy breaths, like previous posters have mentioned.

Advertisement