Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it okay to risk death if it makes you feel more alive?

Options
  • 26-05-2015 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

I think it is okay.

I think too many people protect their life to the point of living a numb existence... but they don't even realize it because their brain tells them safety = happiness!

What's your opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 grey_area

I think OP's should share their opinion before asking for others!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

My turn to be that cnut. . What's yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

grey_area wrote: »

I think sometimes usernames say it all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

Death does not make you feel alive. The relief of having missed it does.

No it's not. You can keep your powder dry by other means if you need the adrenaline. You don't need to actually risk death to get that rush. It's not necessary. There are other safe sane ways.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Any excuse to share the Divine Comedy is a good one. Thanks, OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

If you try to risk death... you're an idiot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

I think it is okay.

I think too many people protect their life to the point of living a numb existence... but they don't even realize it because their brain tells them safety = happiness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

No it's not. You can keep your powder dry by other means if you need the adrenaline. You don't need to actually risk death to get that rush. It's not necessary. There are other safe sane ways.

But nearly everything you do involves some level of risk. Generally, the more exciting an activity is, the more dangerous it will tend to be. Where to draw the line of when a certain level of risk is too high is subjective and down to each individual.

So as long as they don't put others at risk, yes it's okay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

But nearly everything you do involves some level of risk. Generally, the more exciting an activity is, the more dangerous it will tend to be. Where to draw the line of when a certain level of risk is too high is subjective and down to each individual.

So as long as they don't put others at risk, yes it's okay.

What the hell is wrong with you? Dont you value yourself at all? Would you play Russian Roulette? 1 in 6 chance of blowing your brains out? Ah sure, as long as its not hurting anyone else, its grand. Yea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Why not? We risk death every day anyhow just by being alive.

• Advertisement

Death does not make you feel alive. The relief of having missed it does.

It's not just about adrenaline though is it?

It affects everything else you do in life.... it affects you mentally in your attitude to everyday life! (your mortality I mean)

When you accept that we are all going to die, and you stop protecting that so much... stop fearing the inevitable.

I'm not saying you actively try to die btw. Just stop letting fear of death shape your life decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

newmug wrote: »
    What the hell is wrong with you? Dont you value yourself at all? Would you play Russian Roulette? 1 in 6 chance of blowing your brains out? Ah sure, as long as its not hurting anyone else, its grand. Yea.

So he should point the gun at other people? :confused:

What?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll be honest, I find those Jeb Corliss wing-suit videos on YouTube amazing. I'd love to be able to do what he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Most people are probably at the most risk of death when they're in a car, just pottering around on the roads. So I wouldn't necessarily agree that to "risk death" is to make oneself feel "more alive".

Sure, activities like skydiving provide an immense adrenaline rush, but they're also pretty safe and you're not going into them thinking "I'M GONNA RISK DEATH WOOHOO". Usually you just think "This'll be fun". And then you're right. And also alive.

newmug wrote: »

Of course I value my life but I'm not talking about anything nearly as extreme as a 1 in 6 chance killing myself. For example, there's a bit of risk involved in skydiving but it's fun so I think it's worth it. I'm sure others feel that it's not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭engol

Of course I value my life but I'm not talking about anything nearly as extreme as a 1 in 6 chance killing myself. For example, there's a bit of risk involved in skydiving but it's fun so I think it's worth it. I'm sure others feel that it's not worth the risk.

Actually I'd say sky diving is pretty safe. I cycle to work in Dublin and I know it's risking my life. I don't like that and I take every precaution possible. But I can't let the fear of serious injury or death stop me all the same. It's not a thrill though.

I think you can live your life to the full without the need for thrills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

BASE jumpers are some of most ballsy people in the world, and one of the most famous ones, Dean Potter, sadly died last week.

He actually talked about dying here:

I suppose you have to take risks in everything in life, but you also have to have limits. Even the craziest stuntmen, daredevils and extreme sportsmen try to put safety first. There's a fine line between undertaking extreme feats and acting like a f*ckin idiot.

I think every dangerous moment I've had in life, has changed me as a person.

The bigger the danger, the more profound the effect.

As a non religious person, it feels like the closest thing I could equate to a spiritual experience... or an awakening!

It's not some temporary "rush" for me. Something permanent remains afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

As a non religious person, it feels like the closest thing I could equate to a spiritual experience... or an awakening!

I'm sorry you just sound very immature.

engol wrote: »
    Actually I'd say sky diving is pretty safe. I cycle to work in Dublin and I know it's risking my life. I don't like that and I take every precaution possible. But I can't let the fear of serious injury or death stop me all the same. It's not a thrill though.

Yes but my point is that there's more risk involved in skydiving than not skydiving. Likewise, cycling to work in Dublin every day is more dangerous that not doing it. We could all stay in our houses all day, every day and reduce the level of risk we expose ourselves to but we don't. We go out, live our lives, have fun and take risks. Some more so than others. For the most part, it's not possible to put a limit on the level of risk someone can take, whatever their reason, be it for a thrill or just to get to work a bit quicker. So long as no one else is put at risk, no one's entitled to tell someone else that it not okay for them to take any particular risk.
    engol wrote: »
    I think you can live your life to the full without the need for thrills.

To each their own.

• Advertisement

What would you class as 'a dangerous moment'?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Have to keep it short as I'm driving but I think people who take unnecessary risks are extremely selfish.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

An File wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I find those Jeb Corliss wing-suit videos on YouTube amazing. I'd love to be able to do what he does.

But sometimes they get it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

BASE jumpers are some of most ballsy people ..........

they have parachutes n stuff though

gctest50 wrote: »
    they have parachutes n stuff though

When you're jumping from a couple hundred feet, a parachute means f*ck all unless you have crazily good timing at opening it. A lot of basejumpers deliberately open their chutes late just to get a thrill. Also when you jump beside cliffs or buildings, a parachute won't help if you crash into it.

I'm sorry you just sound very immature.

In what sense?

The "mature" people I know, are also the most boring people I know.

If you mean I'm lacking wisdom, I'd disagree. If you mean I see the world like a playground - you could be right.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Have to keep it short as I'm driving but I think people who take unnecessary risks are extremely selfish.

You don't mention wether that's a positive or a negative? ;)

Zaph wrote: »
    But sometimes they get it wrong

Yeah, I read that a few days ago. Nasty way to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

grey_area wrote: »

Not this again.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The guys who climb cranes and other tall structures with no safety equipment baffle me. A huge risk of death everytime, all it takes is one half mistake or slip of concentration.

Advertisement