Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Barbarians, Thomond Pk, 28/05/15 19:45, Sky SP1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Tobyglen wrote: »
    Dave Kearney is a such a poor player, ridiculous that's he has several caps.

Nonsense. He's been the better of the 2 wings today. Would have looked even better again but for a few poor box kicks from Reddan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

It was Madigan who started the counter.

George Smith is such a quality player.

Yeah Dave k had no real option, Murphy should have held the pass too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭bilston

There are no carriers in our pack at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

bilston wrote: »
    That's twice Jordi Murphy has been treated like a schoolboy out there.
    George Smith makes him look like a choir boy.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Have we forgotten how to play for fun?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

So is this Matt O'Connor's fault now? Or Jimmy G? We're seeing again that many of these fringe players are just bang average. Chance for a few to stake a WC claim and none have proved good enough.

players are on holidays. reading anything into this is like trying to judge munster players on their performance against sale in january.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Nonsense. He's been the better of the 2 wings today. Would have looked even better again but for a few poor box kicks from Reddan.
    Rubbish, they are Tight head props that are more threatening with ball in hand.
    At least Gilroy scores tries.

Can someone explain to me why the Barbarians are allowed to infringe without warning here?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Madigan for the sevens! !

aimee1 wrote: »
    players are on holidays. reading anything into this is like trying to judge munster players on their performance against sale in january.
    No, plenty have something to prove to make the WC panel.

It's the Babas who should have nothing to prove.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Hmmm. Henry went ok. The regular 1st XV players solid. Everyone else anonymous. I don't think Madigan starting at 10 would have saved Leinster's season. If David Smith wants to come home he's welcome.

No need to be despondent. Schmidt will have learnt a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Rubbish, they are Tight head props that are more threatening with ball in hand.
    At least Gilroy scores tries.

come on now, you've got to try harder than that

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Can someone explain to me why the Barbarians are allowed to infringe without warning here?

Garner, he let loads of offside stuff go in the first half so the Baa baas are taking the piddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Some drop conversion by Madigan

He's great when he doesn't have to think!

That went backwards.

Or not.

Oh Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If anyone has made any difference to their World Cup chances today it's Ian Madigan. Not a good display. Gilroy looked good with ball in hand but Schmidt will be unhappy with that try, Dave Kearney was very good today. Chris Henry was good, don't think anyone else stood out for any reason really (apart from COS for Leinster fans perhaps).

George Smith was the highlight, what a player.

Poor from Ireland, lack of quality in those fringe players- Good to see Henry back

Not a great game overall. Don't think any of the fringe players really put their hands up. In many ways a few have made life a little easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

No, plenty have something to prove to make the WC panel.

It's the Babas who should have nothing to prove.

The world cup panel is by and large decided in JS's head. There may be one or two judgement calls but it will be the training camps and the warm ups in august that will be important. Ireland were running penalties all over, something they wouldnt do when the game has more riding on it.

Edit: The ref was also very liberal at the maul which cost ireland too. Didnt help ireland at all. Perspective needed really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Oh Ian

Trademark big loopy pass from McGrath didn't help.

Look it, I know this is an end of season friendly and if we won by 40 points we probably wouldn't be overly happy anyway - but bear in mind this is a cobbled together team playing loose rugby who were on the piss in D'Icon nightclub on Monday and Tuesday (and probably last) night - and definitely tonight.

Our team is made up of seasoned pros and guys bursting a gut to get on the plane to the World Cup, and quite frankly they blew it, almost to a man.

Not good enough

edit: our backplay was atrocious tonight - it's been the one aspect of Schmidt's reign that has disappointed me and is my only worry heading into the WC - if we can't beat teams up front, have we the smarts out wide? Not with Felix Jones coming on from the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Both teams allowed to rack up the pens with impunity, made for a lot of cynical play and messing at the ruck.

Should have got the cards out early and tidied up the whole ruck area.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Oh Ian

To be fair, it was a hard pass to hold on to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Is Dave Kearney the new marmite? Personally I think marmite is ok, which is what I thought of DK's display. He wasn't awful but he wasn't amazing either.

Joe Schmidt out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Don't think there was much concern at all from Ireland about this game. The selection showed that but then you also have Schmidt before the interview remarking about how little preparation they put in for it. I don't think they welcomed it at all to be honest.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Is Dave Kearney the new marmite? Personally I think marmite is ok, which is what I thought of DK's display. He wasn't awful but he wasn't amazing either.

Par for the course for DK. Very average player.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

leakyboots wrote: »
    Look it, I know this is an end of season friendly and if we won by 40 points we probably wouldn't be overly happy anyway - but bear in mind this is a cobbled together team playing loose rugby who were on the piss in D'Icon nightclub on Monday and Tuesday (and probably last) night - and definitely tonight.

Our team is made up of seasoned pros and guys bursting a gut to get on the plane to the World Cup, and quite frankly they blew it, almost to a man.

Not good enough

You have to be realistic, there was very little interest in the result from Ireland. There was nothing to gain from a win or loss. I doubt the management care at all about the result, they'd be much more interested in the opportunity to get onto the training pitch together this week.

• Advertisement

Swiwi. wrote: »
    He's just bang average. Another night where he ends up with a bagel. Offers no threat to try line and cost the final try with a shocker of a pass.

Advertisement