Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction

Options
  • 24-05-2015 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has had any success in getting SJD cured? I have had a problem with S1 on the right hand side for the past 2-3 years at this stage.

Before people start questioning how I know it is the sacroiliac joint that is the problem, I have had the problem diagnosed by one of the leading osteopaths in the country. This is following experiences with countless professionals in different medical fields, none of which could even diagnose the problem, let alone treat it.

The afore mentioned osteo could place his finger on the source of the pain and tell me what the problem was and the related symptoms, without me mentioning anything.

Alas, the relief of finally knowing what the problem was, was somewhat dampened by him telling me that the 'point' that was out of place was very specific and difficult to get back in. Although initially confident that he could do it, after 3 visits, still no joy.

Has anyone had any success getting a similar issue sorted? Living in Dublin but would travel to the moon at this stage to get this sorted!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

I had bother with this a few years back, what I was told by a physio was that it had dropped out of place because the muscles in that area were too weak to support it properly.
    They did some pretty standard physio on it, and along with a few weeks of intense strengthening exercises it seemed to cure the problem. I had a twinge once or twice after that, but did the exercises again and that sorted it.
    I won't forget the pain though, made me cry :o
    If an osteopath can't sort it, it sounds like yours may be a more complicated issue though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 nasher 1982

The si joint can't be out of place. But the muscles around it can be weak. Chronic inflammation. Old injuries and problems such as ankylosing spondylitis can cause this pain. But the joint itself cannot move out of place. After 12 years of suffering with sciatica.dr. hu in tallaght hospital diagnosed me with si problem. Getting a guided steriod injection into the joint is the only way to diagnose this problem for sure due to the nerves and muscles surrounding the joint. Very complex! I has 2 sets of injections and 5 weeks ago had a si joint rhizotomy. My leg is stiff because of the weak muscles. But I'm pain free. Dr. Hu is amazing. After years of physios telling me it's in my head. Or calf muscle dropped. Or random other things.n docs pushing pills. Dr hu in the pain clinic knew in 10 mins Wat it was. N has since proven it and helped me. Good luck with ur journey. I hope u get help . I kno how painful n life changing it is

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Are there specific exercises you can do to strengthen the muscles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 nasher 1982

Are there specific exercises you can do to strengthen the muscles?

Yeah there are loads. If u search on you tube u will get loads of examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I had this problem for a number of years, had been to physios, done exercises to strengthen muscle etc. and nothing really worked long-term. Until I went for acupuncture about 3 months ago and now I can drive for 3 hours without being in complete agony, I can hike again, raise my leg without issue and generally only have slight discomfort at times but absolutely nothing like what I had.

It worked for me, won't work for everyone but worth a shot. You'd know after 2/3 sessions if it is working.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Went to my GP with this (not knowing what it was) yesterday and he sent me away saying it would resolve itself.
    Had to go back first thing this morning after waking up in tears from the pain during the night. Anti-inflammatories and steroids were prescribed, hope it's not too long in resolving but I'm going to "youtube" the exercises too.

Advertisement